CFZ Sports writers and media pundits covering the Cowboys I trust and those I don't

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Stephen A Smith.

One of the most cringe worthy sports casters of all time.

I can NOT watch any show with him in it.

He is a 110% made up outlandish sports clown. Total click bate.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry Jones has a large group of people who like him and support him as an owner. They are in the minority but they are numerous. The vendors and the folks that rely heavily on the Cowboys business reasons. The fine arts crowd love his wife and the art hanging in the stadium. Still others like he and Steve simply because they are celebrities of a sort. And as I said above many in the local media rely on getting easy quotes and stories from the teams inner circle. Too many in the media IMO.

Absolutely no legit reporter or writer can do a fair and honest job of covering the Cowboys without being a strong critic of what has happened on the field with the team and coaching for the past three decades. My point is that far too many in the local media are too soft on the Joneses just for easy tidbits and stories.
That’s true in many markets as media kisses up for easier access. I get what you’re saying. But we must look beyond that. Basically media I ignore.

The criticism I’m referring to isn’t strictly about the team and coaches, it’s more focused on our ownership and impact it’s had on our franchise on the field , toxic atmosphere it’s created including it’s effects to the team and coaching.

This franchise has been an embarrassment from the ownership since Jimmy left. Most fans I know and media I follow agree.

Last edited:

coult44

Reaction score
This is obviously nothing more than my personal opinion. But in today’s glut of sports media that cover the Cowboys almost on an hourly basis, there are some I trust and many I do not. Most of those I trust treat their audience with respect and don’t insult our intelligence. They give credit when it’s earned and also constructively criticize when warranted.

Those I don’t trust seem to think Cowboys fans are mostly middle schoolers capable only of clicking constantly on a story based on how wild it seems to be or how blue the kool aid can be. They are usually willing to lose their credibility and objectivity by kissing up to the Jones family or willing to put out “team approved” story lines about what’s happening at the Star.

THOSE I TRUST (and why)
  • Jon Machota- covers the Cowboys for the Athletic and his work is fact based, uses actual quotes, understands how the cap works, is not a sensationalist and is not afraid to ask a tough question to the Jones.
  • David Moore- a traditional beat writer for the DMN who just reports the facts. He’s knowledgeable, fair, but also doesn’t drink the team koolaid. He’s respected by the players and team for being fair and is usually the first reporter called on by Mike Mac at his pressers.
  • Bob Sturm- a radio host for Dallas’ best sports talk radio station “The Ticket”. He is very knowledgeable about the game, studies Cowboys game film diligently and writes a Substack column on-line about his film study. Not afraid to call the Jones boys out or give them credit as well.
  • Troy Aikman- does a very interesting 15 min spot on “The Ticket” usually the Tuesday after games. He is completely objective and fair to all teams, coaches and players. He has been one of the fairest and best critics of the Jones front office. He is very knowledgeable of the NFL and how the game has evolved. Fans who don’t like him seem to expect him to be “pro-Cowboys” in his commentary role which would be completely inappropriate.
THOSE I DON’T TRUST (and why)
  • Skip Bayless- a sports huckster rather than journalist; Bayless lost all credibility with me when he was covering the Cowboys in the 90s for the old Dallas Times Herald newspaper. He wrote about hearing “rumors” that Troy Aikman was gay, and never produced a shred of anything to back his story. He made it up to sell papers. His pathetic TV show is basically the “National Enquirer“ of sports. He has ZERO credibility with players and coaches. Ask Charles Haley what he thinks of him. Or Troy.
  • Mickey Spagnola- because he is employed by the Cowboys, “never is heard a discouraging word” about the team. His articles are usually the fluffiest of team fluff although occasionally he writes an ok piece. I can forgive him for his team loyalty because of his employer but his famous rude and condescending attitude to other people covering the Cowboys makes him one of the biggest jerks in Dallas.
  • Mike Fisher- a guy who used to be a pretty good sports writer has slowly turned into a Skip Bayless wannabe. His off-season stuff is usually pure click bait with more gossip and innuendo than fact. It’s kind of sad because at one time he was pretty good.
There are more on my TRUST and DON’T TRUST list. I’m sure many will disagree which is cool.
Who do you trust and not trust? And why?
Nice post. Good explanations. I do have to remind people that Spags opinions are not necessarily influenced by Jerry or his paycheck. Jerry has always welcomed and even encouraged opinions that don’t pump up everyone with blue stars and silver pom-poms. Jerry is an eternal optimist. He just doesn’t let stuff change his mind, and always finds the positive side of things. It’s why they continue to be at the top of the richest franchises. Mickey actually believes what he writes.

SinceDayOne

Reaction score
That’s true in many markets as media kisses up for easier access. I get what you’re saying. But we must look beyond that. Basically media I ignore.

The criticism I’m referring to isn’t strictly about the team and coaches, it’s more focused on our ownership and impact it’s had on our franchise on the field , toxic atmosphere it’s created including it’s effects to the team and coaching.

This franchise has been an embarrassment from the ownership since Jimmy left. Most fans I know and media I follow agree.
Just because "in many markets media kisses up for easier access" does not anything right or better. A group of wrongs is just that: a group or wrongs. That will never make anything RIGHT. The story...the truth...is the Dallas Cowboys have been mismanaged for three decades. Both the player roster and coaching have been handled poorly. Much of our local media skirts around the true story to suck up to the teams inner circle. No other way to describe that type of stuff as very poor journalism even for sports journalism.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is obviously nothing more than my personal opinion. But in today’s glut of sports media that cover the Cowboys almost on an hourly basis, there are some I trust and many I do not. Most of those I trust treat their audience with respect and don’t insult our intelligence. They give credit when it’s earned and also constructively criticize when warranted.

Those I don’t trust seem to think Cowboys fans are mostly middle schoolers capable only of clicking constantly on a story based on how wild it seems to be or how blue the kool aid can be. They are usually willing to lose their credibility and objectivity by kissing up to the Jones family or willing to put out “team approved” story lines about what’s happening at the Star.

THOSE I TRUST (and why)
  • Jon Machota- covers the Cowboys for the Athletic and his work is fact based, uses actual quotes, understands how the cap works, is not a sensationalist and is not afraid to ask a tough question to the Jones.
  • David Moore- a traditional beat writer for the DMN who just reports the facts. He’s knowledgeable, fair, but also doesn’t drink the team koolaid. He’s respected by the players and team for being fair and is usually the first reporter called on by Mike Mac at his pressers.
  • Bob Sturm- a radio host for Dallas’ best sports talk radio station “The Ticket”. He is very knowledgeable about the game, studies Cowboys game film diligently and writes a Substack column on-line about his film study. Not afraid to call the Jones boys out or give them credit as well.
  • Troy Aikman- does a very interesting 15 min spot on “The Ticket” usually the Tuesday after games. He is completely objective and fair to all teams, coaches and players. He has been one of the fairest and best critics of the Jones front office. He is very knowledgeable of the NFL and how the game has evolved. Fans who don’t like him seem to expect him to be “pro-Cowboys” in his commentary role which would be completely inappropriate.
  • Skip Bayless- a sports huckster rather than journalist; Bayless lost all credibility with me when he was covering the Cowboys in the 90s for the old Dallas Times Herald newspaper. He wrote about hearing “rumors” that Troy Aikman was gay, and never produced a shred of anything to back his story. He made it up to sell papers. His pathetic TV show is basically the “National Enquirer“ of sports. He has ZERO credibility with players and coaches. Ask Charles Haley what he thinks of him. Or Troy.
  • Mickey Spagnola- because he is employed by the Cowboys, “never is heard a discouraging word” about the team. His articles are usually the fluffiest of team fluff although occasionally he writes an ok piece. I can forgive him for his team loyalty because of his employer but his famous rude and condescending attitude to other people covering the Cowboys makes him one of the biggest jerks in Dallas.
  • Mike Fisher- a guy who used to be a pretty good sports writer has slowly turned into a Skip Bayless wannabe. His off-season stuff is usually pure click bait with more gossip and innuendo than fact. It’s kind of sad because at one time he was pretty good.
There are more on my TRUST and DON’T TRUST list. I’m sure many will disagree which is cool.
I trust you

Fmart322

Reaction score

THOSE I TRUST (and why)
I totally agree with your list....especially with the 'don't trust list'.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Stephen A Smith.

One of the most cringe worthy sports casters of all time.

I can NOT watch any show with him in it.

He is a 110% made up outlandish sports clown. Total click bate.
He isn't a sports caster or a journalist. He is a reality TV circus clown. Some people love that stuff and thats OK. Not for me though. I am much too good for that type of stuff.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Just because "in many markets media kisses up for easier access" does not anything right or better. A group of wrongs is just that: a group or wrongs. That will never make anything RIGHT. The story...the truth...is the Dallas Cowboys have been mismanaged for three decades. Both the player roster and coaching have been handled poorly. Much of our local media skirts around the true story to suck up to the teams inner circle. No other way to describe that type of stuff as very poor journalism even for sports journalism.
I’m not denying there’s a segment that looks the other way. We have fans who do the same. Some even buy in to the hype.

But translating that to the local media is not aware of the effects and impacts to Cowboys football is not an accurate assessment.

rambo2

Reaction score

THOSE I TRUST (and why)
Fisher tells us when Stephen and Jerry says something that isn't true. Like about the cap Derrick Henry.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I think when you allow yourself to forget that all of these media folk are in the entertainment business and not really the "news" or "information" business is when you fall. I don't take the word of anyone reporting anything at face value. Because every person doing the reporting is a human being which means every thing they report on is being seen and presented through the prism of their own experiences and biases. It's fun to watch/read/listen but I don't consider myself "informed" by any of it. I trust what I see with my own eyes on Sundays. Everything else is just fluff meant to pass the time until the next Sunday.

Mark

Reaction score
[Fisher] takes forever to say something that would take anyone else a minute or two. He can stretch a story.
That's my biggest issue with him...and it's getting worse. Get to the point, man! Aside from spending an inordinate chunk of his podcasts peddling his brand & begging for money.