Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MossBurner said:
1. Sean Taylor

GAP

2. Marcus Washington

3. Shawn Springs

Sean may be the best athlete on your defense.

I think Springs is the most valuable because of the number of times Greg likes to blitz.

When springs is healthy he is the best player IMO.

parchy

Reaction score
theebs said:
Thinking you are better because you beat an injury depleted team is false and your accomplishments are without merit.
This is BS. Washington's 35-7 win over us last year isn't "without merit" because we were banged up going into that game. You play the players that are put in front of you. Doesn't mean your win is any less sweet, or without merit for that matter. A win is a win is a win is a win.

This along with "one game at a time" always baffled me when it comes to fans. The players aren't going into the locker room after the game saying, "sheesh dude, that was a great win and it put us in the playoffs, but that team was losing a safety. Let's mourn."

:rolleyes:

Smashmouth24

Reaction score
MossBurner said:
1. Sean Taylor

GAP

2. Marcus Washington

3. Shawn Springs

You couldn't know less about your favorite team's defense if you think Sean Taylor is their best OR most important player. Cornelius Griffin, Springs, Washington. I don't know where Taylor falls after that but it aint close.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
parchy said:
This is BS. Washington's 35-7 win over us last year isn't "without merit" because we were banged up going into that game. You play the players that are put in front of you. Doesn't mean your win is any less sweet, or without merit for that matter. A win is a win is a win is a win.

This along with "one game at a time" always baffled me when it comes to fans. The players aren't going into the locker room after the game saying, "sheesh dude, that was a great win and it put us in the playoffs, but that team was losing a safety. Let's mourn."

:rolleyes:

NIce way to turn around what I said. This pertains to wishing and being happy other players are injured.

I am not saying you shouldnt take the win if you beat a banged up team, but rooting for them to be hurt is BS to me.

kmd24

Reaction score
MossBurner said:
Classless dog. I actually love it when guys like you perpetuate the stereotype. You should be ashamed.

You're overracting, IMO. Springs is *already injured* and will come back when he comes back. It's not like the guy is wishing for Roy Williams to end Santana Moss's season. If you want examples of this, go visit ES and find any thread that involves TO and Sean Taylor.

If you don't admit to feeling relief when one of the opposing team's best players is going to miss your upcoming games, then you are disingenuous at best. It doesn't mean that you want the guy to experience pain, have his season ended, nor have his career ended.

Maybe the difference is too subtle for you.

MossBurner

Reaction score
kmd24 said:
If you don't admit to feeling relief when one of the opposing team's best players is going to miss your upcoming games, then you are disingenuous at best. It doesn't mean that you want the guy to experience pain, have his season ended, nor have his career ended.

Maybe the difference is too subtle for you.

Not too subtle for me. I guess I'm a football purist, in the sense that I want my team to defeat its arch rival at full strength.

Otherwise, you have to listen to the garbage that Commanders' fans have heard since last December - that the Boys weren't at full strength for the massacre.

Injuries suck at so many levels.

fortdick

Reaction score
MossBurner said:
Classless dog. I actually love it when guys like you perpetuate the stereotype. You should be ashamed.

Oh, stop. You guys at extremeskins would be thrilled if something happened to Roy. You'd be dancing the the ethereal hallways.

Gfunk

Reaction score
fortdick said:
Oh, stop. You guys at extremeskins would be thrilled if something happened to Roy. You'd be dancing the the ethereal hallways.
wrong, most of us @ ES prefer to play opposing teams, especially division rivals, at full strength

in response to the thread, Portis will start week 1 and Springs will hopefully be back for week 2

speedkilz88

Reaction score
theebs said:
NIce way to turn around what I said. This pertains to wishing and being happy other players are injured.

I am not saying you shouldnt take the win if you beat a banged up team, but rooting for them to be hurt is BS to me.
Talk about turning around what was said. Those guys were injured weeks ago, nobody was rooting for them to hurt; the guy just felt better knowing he wasn't going to be playing us week 2. sheesh:rolleyes:

kmd24

Reaction score
MossBurner said:
Not too subtle for me. I guess I'm a football purist, in the sense that I want my team to defeat its arch rival at full strength.

Otherwise, you have to listen to the garbage that Commanders' fans have heard since last December - that the Boys weren't at full strength for the massacre.

Injuries suck at so many levels.

A football purist would realize that injuries are part of the game and that there is a reason that rosters are 53 men deep. Depth is just as important a facet of a team as having talent at the various positions.

The only reason to bring up the injuries from the massacre in Fedex last year is to make a counterpoint against sophomoric Commanders fans that think the result of that game is a strong predictor of future matchups. Anyone with any sense at all should realize it is not.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Look, this whole other-teams'-injuries deal is tricky to deal with. A little diplomacy, at the very least, is required. One shouldn't wish for injuries and one shouldn't rejoice when it happens but team success in the NFL is a function of staying relatively injury free, which means, in other words, that we need other teams to have more injuries than us.

I feel sorry for individual players when they get hurt; the worse the injury is, the more I feel sorry for them. At the same time, as someone with a dog in this fight and as someone who realizes that these things happen, I'm glad when we're less injured than other teams, which is just a significantly more polite way of saying I'm glad when other teams are more injured than us.

I expect fans from other teams to not rejoice and gloat when our players get injured but I do not expect sympathy cards when our injury report is longer than theirs on game day.

OOTF

Reaction score
Cowboy from New York said:
I'm real eager to see them got dominated by the Vikes and all of their "don't worry it's only preseason" talk turns to "oh crap!" . Then, in week #2 we'll have the pleasure of pushing all of them over the brink into full scale panic mode.

That would be sweet:rolleyes:

Reaction score
I root for injuries to rivals.

Does that make me "classless"?

Maybe, but who gives a crap.

Anything to help my Cowboys win is great as far as I'm concerned.

I hope Springs and Portis' injury lingers all season.

Yeah, I'm a jerk. So what.

silver

Reaction score
Secondary2None3141 said:
I root for injuries to rivals.

Does that make me "classless"?

Maybe, but who gives a crap.

Anything to help my Cowboys win is great as far as I'm concerned.

I hope Springs and Portis' injury lingers all season.

Yeah, I'm a jerk. So what.
as long as they're mild injuries, nothing season or career threathening then go ahead. ;)

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
MossBurner said:
1. Sean Taylor

GAP

2. Marcus Washington

3. Shawn Springs

Athletically speaking, you may be right. However, if you take into consideration the positions they play and the relative importance of that position to a defense, your list, IMO, would be wrong.

CB's are much more important to a defense then safeties. DT's are more important than Safeties as well. LB's? In a 4-3, I think they're about even with the importance of the safeties.

So, thinking that... here is how I would rate it:

1. Shawn Springs. A good cover corner allows Gregg Williams to do any number of things, including blitzing and going to man coverage.

2. Cornelius Griffin. I would rate him a very close second to Springs. He collapses the pocket with his pass rush and helps shut down the run. Without him, the Commanders pass rush is very weak, even with a blitz... and the Commanders tend to get gashed up the middle by quick hitting runs. Griffin going out very well might be worse than Springs going out, but I'll leave the first two in this order.

3. Carlos Rogers. For the same reasons that I listed Springs. Having him and Springs at corner really free's up your safeties and allows Gregg Williams to play any number of pressure schemes.

4. Sean Taylor. I'd rank him above Washington, although I think Washington plays OLB better than Taylor plays FS. I would put Sean ahead because he has a physical presence that is important to your defense and he's terrific athletically. He can do anything you'd want a FS to do and he's an intimidator. He'll blow the occasional assignment but he means a lot to the defense.

5. Marcus Washington. A very, very good OLB. He's better than the 5th best player on the defense... but because he's an OLB in a 4-3, his impact is lessened.

If the Commanders had a decent DE, he'd probably be ranked #1 in importance... but because they don't, they don't have a DE listed in the top 5. Andre Carter has shown no signs of being anything special at all... so unless he completely changes from the preseason and recent past seasons, he'll be just another guy on the end.

I think that Salave'a is more important to the defense than many people give him credit for. He really plugs up the run and while he isn't a force on the pass rush, he brings 100% effort on every play and helps plug the run like Gregg Williams loves. I won't rank him... but I do think he's a good role player for the D.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Injuries or not last year, we shouldn't have lost 35-7. We just played poorly and the Commanders played well.

I wonder how many touches Portis will get though for fantasy purposes.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that washington's defense will not improve because of these additions, and may even digress somewhat.

Andre Carter moved to OLB in SF because he was getting manhandled by OTs back in 2003. He isnt strong enough to take on 320 pound lineman consistantly, which is what Washignton will ask him to do. He is also one of the worst starting DEs in the NFL in run support.

Adam Archuleta is simply the worst starting safety in pass coverage in the NFL. Commanders fans think RW is bad, just wait until Adam Archuleta gets beat like a rented mule one a week in and week out basis.

They will likley be playing a rookie 2nd round pick at OLB most of the season, and he is coming off of an fairly serious injury.

Phillip Daniels is an extremely average DE, whom only had a decent year last season because he got to go against Torrin Tucker for 60 minutes.

Carlos Rogers got beat fairly routinely last season. I know he was only a rookie and will get better, but I don't see him as a lockdown corner at this point.

Kenny Wright sucks. He makes Walt Harris look like Ronnie Lott.

Their defense, unlike the Cowboys', lacks depth. Their best backup CB MIGHT make the Dallas roster as the 5th CB. None of the backup safeties would, Jeff Posey might make our LB crew as a last resort, and none of their backup D-Linemen would make our team.

Depth, especially on the D-Line, is more important than one or two star players.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gfunk said:
wrong, most of us @ ES prefer to play opposing teams, especially division rivals, at full strength

in response to the thread, Portis will start week 1 and Springs will hopefully be back for week 2

Where'd this info come from?

:fact: