Springs out, Portis doubtful for week one

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that washington's defense will not improve because of these additions, and may even digress somewhat.

I could see that. They don't have the athletes that the Skins fans think they do. Taylor, Griffin, Washington, Springs and Rogers are good to pretty good. Salave'a is solid against the run. The rest are nothing to write home about and you're correct... their depth is atrocious.

Andre Carter moved to OLB in SF because he was getting manhandled by OTs back in 2003. He isnt strong enough to take on 320 pound lineman consistantly, which is what Washignton will ask him to do. He is also one of the worst starting DEs in the NFL in run support.

Carter was moved to OLB because they went to a 3-4 and no way is Carter a 3-4 DE. I agree that OT's do manhandle him but I've heard from more than one source that he is solid against the run. Is that true? I don't know... but Skins fans are certainly saying he's solid against the run. Personally, I think he'll be a bust in Washington... he just isn't very good. Carter might stand up against the run (that's debatable) but I can tell you right now... he's not going to provide the pass rush that Skins fans had hoped.

Adam Archuleta is simply the worst starting safety in pass coverage in the NFL. Commanders fans think RW is bad, just wait until Adam Archuleta gets beat like a rented mule one a week in and week out basis.

You're right about that. I still get the giggles when I think about how much money they gave Archuleta. It's insane. Don't they even watch film? His coverage is atrocious and TE's are going to have a field day against him. Oh he hits okay and can tackles... but those guys are a dime-a-dozen. Hearing skins fans defend him is just plain funny.

They will likley be playing a rookie 2nd round pick at OLB most of the season, and he is coming off of an fairly serious injury.

I thought Holdman was going to be starting at SOLB? Not that he's any good anyway... but he'll be better than McIntosh... at least this year. I don't think McIntosh can stay healthy and he doesn't look that good anyway. How many picks did they trade to get that guy?:laugh2:

Phillip Daniels is an extremely average DE, whom only had a decent year last season because he got to go against Torrin Tucker for 60 minutes.

VERY average, at best. He wouldn't play for a lot of teams.

Carlos Rogers got beat fairly routinely last season. I know he was only a rookie and will get better, but I don't see him as a lockdown corner at this point.

I think Rogers is going to be a pretty good one. Maybe not a shutdown corner at this point, but he's played pretty well. Good thing for them too, because they don't have squat after Springs and Rogers.

Kenny Wright sucks. He makes Walt Harris look like Ronnie Lott.

Wright is horrible. I laughed when all the Commander fans were saying what a great pickup Wright was and that he was a starter for the Jags last year and he's their third corner. :lmao:

He started a few games for the Jags, but they couldn't get that guy out of the lineup quick enough. That's why they said "Don't let the door hit'cha on the way out" in free agency. He played horribly last season, and he's picked up right where he left off this preseason. Put it this way: Rumph is a better corner than him. :eek: That is really saying something, because Rumph S-U-C-K-S.

Their defense, unlike the Cowboys', lacks depth. Their best backup CB MIGHT make the Dallas roster as the 5th CB. None of the backup safeties would, Jeff Posey might make our LB crew as a last resort, and none of their backup D-Linemen would make our team.

They have very little depth... and I think that you're right... I don't think that Wright or Rumph would make our 63 man roster. If you take out Marcus Washington... Dallas has at least 6 LB's that are better than anyone they have. That's sad.

Depth, especially on the D-Line, is more important than one or two star players.

Having good starters is obviously important... but in today's NFL, you have to have depth. Third and 4th corners are vital because of the 3 and 4 WR sets that you see so often these days. Safeties who can cover and depth there will become more and more important with the increased emphasis being put on the TE position by more and more teams. Two TE sets are becoming more important, and Archuleta (and their backups) will have issues there. Without depth along the DL, your starters wear out and get gashed against the run late in games. It's vital to have depth on defense... much more so than on offense... and if you don't have it, then you'll have problems... Particularly in the 4th quarters of games.

NIBGoldenchild

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that washington's defense will not improve because of these additions, and may even digress somewhat.

For some reason, that doesn't surprise me. ;)

Andre Carter moved to OLB in SF because he was getting manhandled by OTs back in 2003.

This is extremely false. Carter was switched to OLB because the base defense was changed to a 3-4. He's too small to play DE in that type of defense. You shouldn't make things up.

Adam Archuleta is simply the worst starting safety in pass coverage in the NFL. Commanders fans think RW is bad, just wait until Adam Archuleta gets beat like a rented mule one a week in and week out basis.

I can't argue with this. I never really wanted AA, and his deficiencies in coverage are well known. Yet before Ryan Clark became a Commander, he was flame bait as a Giant and Gregg Williams hid his weaknesses pretty well.

They will likley be playing a rookie 2nd round pick at OLB most of the season, and he is coming off of an fairly serious injury.

I've heard nothing of McIntosh exhibiting signs of the old injury still affecting him.

Carlos Rogers got beat fairly routinely last season. I know he was only a rookie and will get better, but I don't see him as a lockdown corner at this point.

You couldn't have possibly watched many Skins games and come up with this conclusion. Rogers was seldom beat, money in run defense, a sure tackler, and beaten far less frequently than any other DB on the roster save Springs and Taylor.

Lucky for us it looks like Mike Rumph, who impressed in pre-season, will be the nickel corner. :D

Their defense, unlike the Cowboys', lacks depth. Their best backup CB MIGHT make the Dallas roster as the 5th CB. None of the backup safeties would, Jeff Posey might make our LB crew as a last resort, and none of their backup D-Linemen would make our team.

Despite all of this being subjective nonsense, what does it have to do with the topic? And since when has a defense that ranked lower than ours last season, somehow become the standard that the Skins defense should be compared against? Ridiculous.

Bizwah

Reaction score
I have no problem with pointing out how injuries can affect a team's performance.

The 35-7 loss we suffered last year was mainly due to injuries. Any Skins fan that thinks otherwise is smoking something. But that doesn't mean they can't enjoy the win. I'm also not saying that the win was "cheap" or "diminished".

I've read on this board and on ES that we're no where near the talent level of the Skins. They claim that the thrashing we suffered last year was a true indicator of where our teams were.

But if you look at our situations, you know that's not the case.

These two injuries will hurt the Skins. I think the loss of Springs will hurt them worse than Portis.

I do see both of them playing week two regardless.

Gfunk

Reaction score
stasheroo said:
Where'd this info come from?

:fact:
just my prediction, Gibbs won't announce it till the last minute (that Portis is playing)

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
NIBGoldenchild said:
This is extremely false. Carter was switched to OLB because the base defense was changed to a 3-4. He's too small to play DE in that type of defense. You shouldn't make things up.

No, it's not. Yes, they moved to the 3-4 defense, but guess what? Andre Carter started the last 4 games of the 2003 season (when they still used the 4-3) at, you guessed it, OLB. The coaches were tired of him getting blown off the ball by offensive tackles continuosly.

I can't argue with this. I never really wanted AA, and his deficiencies in coverage are well known. Yet before Ryan Clark became a Commander, he was flame bait as a Giant and Gregg Williams hid his weaknesses pretty well.

Tell that to the Commanders fans who maintian he is as good as RW.

I've heard nothing of McIntosh exhibiting signs of the old injury still affecting him.

Even if it doesnt, he was a slightly above average college player who was picked about 30 picks too high.

You couldn't have possibly watched many Skins games and come up with this conclusion. Rogers was seldom beat, money in run defense, a sure tackler, and beaten far less frequently than any other DB on the roster save Springs and Taylor.

Rogers gave up 4 TDs in 7 starts and had the highest thrown against/TD ratio of any CB that started at least 5 games. Yes, he was beat fairly routinely.

And just FYI, Sean Taylor was also beaten reguarly last season.

Lucky for us it looks like Mike Rumph, who impressed in pre-season, will be the nickel corner. :D

:lmao2:

Best news Patrick Crayton has gotton since he found out Sean Taylor was responsible for him over the top back in 2004.

Despite all of this being subjective nonsense, what does it have to do with the topic? And since when has a defense that ranked lower than ours last season, somehow become the standard that the Skins defense should be compared against? Ridiculous.

Washignton finished one whole spot ahead of Dallas in total defense

MossBurner

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:

Andre Carter moved to OLB in SF because he was getting manhandled by OTs back in 2003. He isnt strong enough to take on 320 pound lineman consistantly, which is what Washignton will ask him to do. He is also one of the worst starting DEs in the NFL in run support.

Phillip Daniels is an extremely average DE, whom only had a decent year last season because he got to go against Torrin Tucker for 60 minutes.

Depth, especially on the D-Line, is more important than one or two star players.

With any due respect, Gregg Williams knows how to run a defense better than you. He could have kept Walt Harris and Ryan Clark, but chose to replace them with Wright and Archuleta. He brought in Andre Carter and he will start instead of Renaldo Wynn. Do you expect me or any football fan to believe that you know better than him. Please.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
MossBurner said:
With any due respect, Gregg Williams knows how to run a defense better than you. He could have kept Walt Harris and Ryan Clark, but chose to replace them with Wright and Archuleta. He brought in Andre Carter and he will start instead of Renaldo Wynn. Do you expect me or any football fan to believe that you know better than him. Please.
I hate this rationale. If we can't debate the decisions, why bother having a message board?

Regardless of the reasons, Carter hasn't had a big year since 2002. It seems a stretch to me to expect him to be a big time pass rusher when he hasn't been for 4 years. And 260 lbs at LDE? That's a recipe for disaster.

I agree with those who've defended Rogers. Once he gets his legs under him, he'll be a heck of a CB. Paired with Taylor, you'll have dynamic duo in the secondary for years to come, provided Taylor stays out of prison.

Archuleta is horrible. I can't believe they not only signed him, but have him a ton of $ to boot. With the great receiving weapons Dallas and NYG have, it's seems to me unthinkable they'd have wanted him.

As for why GW and JG got rid of those guys, they had weaknesses and tried to address them with the limited talent available in FA.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
MossBurner said:

First of all, Greg Williams didnt bring anybody in. Daniel Snyder and Joe Gibbs did. They likely had input from Williams, but he had no say in the final decision, not with the egos that are Danny Boy and Gibbs above him i the food chain.

Second, just because a coach THINKS players will do better than others, doesnt mean they will.

Smashmouth24

Reaction score
MossBurner said:

With any (sic) due respect, Dick LeBeau knows how to run a defense better than Gregg Williams. He could have had Adam Archuleta, a free agent, but instead chose Ryan Clark, also a free agent. Do you expect me or any football fan to believe that Gregg Williams knows better than him. Please.

Kilyin

Reaction score
Not only will Portis miss week 1, I am betting he misses week 2 as well. In fact, I wouldn't expect him to play until week 4.

HeHateMe

Displaced but Dedicated
Reaction score
I personally think Springs is much more important at this point that Portis is to the Commanders.

And he wont be back anytime soon.

MossBurner

Reaction score
Double Trouble said:
As for why GW and JG got rid of those guys, they had weaknesses and tried to address them with the limited talent available in FA.

You said it, GW got rid of the two worst starters (SS, NB) on the defense and replaced them with better players. Also, Andre Carter replaces Renaldo Wynn who becomes a solid backup.

MossBurner

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
First of all, Greg Williams didnt bring anybody in. Daniel Snyder and Joe Gibbs did. They likely had input from Williams, but he had no say in the final decision, not with the egos that are Danny Boy and Gibbs above him i the food chain.

Gibbs, an ego? Ha! Didn't he just turn over play-calling duties.

And without a doubt, JG lets GW run the defense and pick his guys.

You're just being difficult.

MossBurner

Reaction score
Smashmouth24 said:
With any (sic) due respect, Dick LeBeau knows how to run a defense better than Gregg Williams. He could have had Adam Archuleta, a free agent, but instead chose Ryan Clark, also a free agent. Do you expect me or any football fan to believe that Gregg Williams knows better than him. Please.

There might have been a difference in cost there.

Lovie Smith, HC of the best defense in the league, fought tooth and nail to get AA.

NIBGoldenchild

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
No, it's not. Yes, they moved to the 3-4 defense, but guess what? Andre Carter started the last 4 games of the 2003 season (when they still used the 4-3) at, you guessed it, OLB. The coaches were tired of him getting blown off the ball by offensive tackles continuosly.

If Carter really didn't start at OLB until the last 4 games, which I doubt, than that was the fault of the Niners coaches from the start. A player of his size isn't fit for DE in the 3-4 defense.

Even if it doesnt, he was a slightly above average college player who was picked about 30 picks too high.

I've read scouting reports that say he was more than an above average college player. But whatever, that is your opinion, you're entitled to it.

Rogers gave up 4 TDs in 7 starts and had the highest thrown against/TD ratio of any CB that started at least 5 games. Yes, he was beat fairly routinely.

Please prove it. I recall Rogers giving up one touchdown, that's it. And no, he was not beaten "fairly routinely". Watch the football games before you claim a player played poorly.

And just FYI, Sean Taylor was also beaten reguarly last season.

This is even more false than your statement about Rogers.

Washignton finished one whole spot ahead of Dallas in total defense

Does that make anything I said false? :confused:

NIBGoldenchild

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:

You continue to spout falsehoods. Gregg Williams has made every decision on defensive players since he's been a Skins coach. Gibbs stated this when GW was hired.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
MossBurner said:
Lovie Smith, HC of the best defense in the league, fought tooth and nail to get AA.

Lovie Smith was the def. coordinator for the Rams before and knows AA pretty well. So him wanting AA was based more on familiarity.

Lovie started coaching the Bears in 2004. Before then the Bears already had a pretty stout defense before he arrived.

Therefore you should not associate Lovie Smith wanting AA is not really a true endorsement for Archuleta.

NIBGoldenchild

Reaction score
ConstantReboot said:
Lovie Smith was the def. coordinator for the Rams before and knows AA pretty well. So him wanting AA was based more on familiarity.

Can your prove that? Seems like a plain assumption to me.

kmd24

Reaction score
NIBGoldenchild said:
If Carter really didn't start at OLB until the last 4 games, which I doubt, than that was the fault of the Niners coaches from the start. A player of his size isn't fit for DE in the 3-4 defense.

I think he's saying that the Niners had Carter at OLB when they were still running a 4-3.