Spurs do it again

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
victor-wembanyama-nba-draft-lottery-2023-e1684255698668.jpg

DFWJC

Reaction score
The level of good fortune this franchise has had when it comes to the lottery is borderline unimaginable.

Robinson
Duncan
now this otherworldly talent

Spurs are back

They have championships "almost" handed to them by the roll of the dice....its crazy, insane good fortune.

But hey, congrats Spurs!

Hoofbite

Reaction score
The NBA lottery seems far too sketchy to me. ESPN analyst Malika Andrews said 2-3 times as 15-6 were announced, "as everyone expect", regarding the draft order.

Then they just pull cards from an envelope that was drawn where? Gimme a powerball machine and have the balls pop up. I don't care because I don't follow the NBA but if this was the NFL, most fans would believe it's rigged.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
The NBA lottery seems far too sketchy to me. ESPN analyst Malika Andrews said 2-3 times as 15-6 were announced, "as everyone expect", regarding the draft order.

Then they just pull cards from an envelope that was drawn where? Gimme a powerball machine and have the balls pop up. I don't care because I don't follow the NBA but if this was the NFL, most fans would believe it's rigged.
It's done on-site in a separate room just before the announcement. The room has each team's representative, several media members and employees of the firm to do the actual drawing. All electronics and communication devices are collected upon entering the room and all the people are sequestered there until the announcements are finished. If there were any rigging, there's no way that room full of people would keep it secret.

They do use a powerball type machine

"Ping pong balls numbered 1-14 are put inside a machine, symbolizing the 14 lottery teams. Within those 14 balls, there's a possibility of 1,001 four-number combinations. Those combinations are then split up between the 14 lottery teams. To determine the No. 1 pick, individual ping pong balls are selected to create a four-number combination. The team that matches up with the combination chosen is then awarded the No. 1 overall pick in the 2023 NBA Draft. That same process is then done again to determine picks second through fourth.

Once that process is completed to determine the top four picks of the draft, the remaining order (spots 5-14) is set in inverse order of their 2022-23 regular season record. In other words, the teams with the worst remaining records pick higher than those who finished with better records."
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...st-chance-at-victor-wembanyama-see-full-list/

During the selection process, the Blazers missed the 1st pick by 1 number, missed it by the last ball of the 4 ball combo. The Spurs later in the process also drew the #4 pick, twice, but of course the numbers had to be selected again each time.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Have been a Spurs fan since the 80’s. I knew they were trying to throw the season when they traded DeJounte Murray but I also knew how tough the odds were. Unfreaking believable.Admiral to Duncan to Wembanyama. Might as well put Iceman in there and Kawhi Leonard. Team knows how to draft MVPs.

Hoping Atlanta starts bombing with those picks we have that are not protected and along with the other picks, and all that cap room, Pop can go out a winner. Just add one of his pupils, Steve Kerr, when the Warriors get too old.

Between Yao Ming and Houston Rockets, Parker and Ginobilli with the Spurs, and Nowitski and Doncic with the Mavs, I wonder if the Texas NBA Teams have the most international fans.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Have been a Spurs fan since the 80’s. I knew they were trying to throw the season when they traded DeJounte Murray but I also knew how tough the odds were. Unfreaking believable.Admiral to Duncan to Wembanyama. Might as well put Iceman in there and Kawhi Leonard. Team knows how to draft MVPs.

Hoping Atlanta starts bombing with those picks we have that are not protected and along with the other picks, and all that cap room, Pop can go out a winner. Just add one of his pupils, Steve Kerr, when the Warriors get too old.

Between Yao Ming and Houston Rockets, Parker and Ginobilli with the Spurs, and Nowitski and Doncic with the Mavs, I wonder if the Texas NBA Teams have the most international fans.
I think I read that after this draft, the Spurs still have 12 1st round picks over the following 5 years. That Murray trade to the Hawks is about on par with the Herschal Walker trade. They can build however they want to build, they can draft more young guys, they can bundle picks and trade for vets, they have a ton of of cap space for a high end FA. The Spurs know how to tank, they don't do it often, but when they do, they do it right.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Hawks could be interesting of they can make Murray and Young work, but thats far from a given. They have been trending down the last 2 years after a surprise ECF appearance.

With Murray they payed for a near triple double statline. They were never getting that from him in a .500 or above team

kskboys

Reaction score
I think I read that after this draft, the Spurs still have 12 1st round picks over the following 5 years. That Murray trade to the Hawks is about on par with the Herschal Walker trade. They can build however they want to build, they can draft more young guys, they can bundle picks and trade for vets, they have a ton of of cap space for a high end FA. The Spurs know how to tank, they don't do it often, but when they do, they do it right.
Maybe this guy will get injured like Robinson did, causing the Spurs to suck for one year which resulted in Duncan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Good for the Spurs.
San Antonio being treated like some small market team by players is just weird.
It's the 7th largest US City and is part of a region with Austin that is insanely fast growing and massive.
It is very like DFW where there is suburban sprawl and just massive population in the counties.

Pop obviously can develop and relate to foreign born players.