Spurs/Lakers Series

Mamba

RatisBeast
Reaction score
Shaq isn't the same, TD and TP are tearing us a new one. We need to stop penetration. THe spurs are just a better defensive team. No need for me to trash talk, not that i could :( But seriously, the Lakers can win it, but it's going to be tough, each and every game. :eek:

RedskinsFanInTX

Reaction score
laythewood28 said:
Since the Lakers have home court advantage they will win in seven games.
Spurs have have home court, they will take it in 6!
Spurs%20Avatar.jpg
Go SPURS Go!

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
RedskinsFanInTX said:
Spurs have have home court, they will take it in 6!
Spurs%20Avatar.jpg
Go SPURS Go!

I think you're giving too much credit to the "Over the Hill Gang" in LA. I was saying Spurs in 5, but I think it could be a sweep!

And I'm glad to see Minny getting handed a loss tonight. I think the Sac will be much easier to beat. Garnet may be MVP, but Duncan is the best player in the league.

As a "CowboysFanInDC," who'd have thought we'd have anything in common?

Spurs Dynasty!

RedskinsFanInTX

Reaction score
Danny White said:
I think you're giving too much credit to the "Over the Hill Gang" in LA. I was saying Spurs in 5, but I think it could be a sweep!

And I'm glad to see Minny getting handed a loss tonight. I think the Sac will be much easier to beat. Garnet may be MVP, but Duncan is the best player in the league.

As a "CowboysFanInDC," who'd have thought we'd have anything in common?

Spurs Dynasty!
A sweep would be sweet! It could happen! Duncan is the best player in the league. LET"S DO IT AGAIN SPURS!

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
RedskinsFanInTX said:
A sweep would be sweet! It could happen! Duncan is the best player in the league. LET"S DO IT AGAIN SPURS!

A sweep is looking likely. If LA doesn't win game 3, I predict sweep. It's nice to see the Lakers fall flat on their arses. The press was in love with the new "Dream Team" all through the year but it's the defending champs who prove to be the team to beat!

Who do you think is the worst matchup for the Spurs? Timberwolves or Kings?

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Who do you think is the worst matchup for the Spurs? Timberwolves or Kings?

I'd rather play the Kings. I think the poing guard matchup there is a push. The 2 guard matchup is a push, the small forward matchup is advantage Kings with Peja, the center matchup is a push, but against the Kings, the Spurs have a huge Power Forward advantage (sorry CWebb, you can't play with Duncan anymore).

That and the fact that the Spurs have home-court advantage againt the Kings.

While I think Minny is more dangerous than the Kings, I see the Kings winning this in 6 now that they've taken game 1. Minnesota is only going to start playing tighter and tighter. If things start going bad in game 2, it could be a very short series.

I'm with you on the Lakers (obviously). It's soooo nice to see them losing again. Malone and Payton are such liabilities out there. Although they really don't have much of an alternative at this point in the season.

The Lakers are like a bully that has been punched back. They don't intimidate the Spurs at all. It's also nice to see that they're not intimidating the refs as much anymore (although we'll see once the games move to LA). Shaq can't get away with camping out in the lane. Kobe is getting called for his slap fouls. I LOVED IT when Malone got called for the foul with his flying elbow. He's been doing that for 18 years now, and he's finally getting called.

Spurs Dynasty!

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Danny White said:
I'd rather play the Kings. I think the poing guard matchup there is a push. The 2 guard matchup is a push, the small forward matchup is advantage Kings with Peja, the center matchup is a push, but against the Kings, the Spurs have a huge Power Forward advantage (sorry CWebb, you can't play with Duncan anymore).

That and the fact that the Spurs have home-court advantage againt the Kings.

While I think Minny is more dangerous than the Kings, I see the Kings winning this in 6 now that they've taken game 1. Minnesota is only going to start playing tighter and tighter. If things start going bad in game 2, it could be a very short series.

I'm with you on the Lakers (obviously). It's soooo nice to see them losing again. Malone and Payton are such liabilities out there. Although they really don't have much of an alternative at this point in the season.

The Lakers are like a bully that has been punched back. They don't intimidate the Spurs at all. It's also nice to see that they're not intimidating the refs as much anymore (although we'll see once the games move to LA). Shaq can't get away with camping out in the lane. Kobe is getting called for his slap fouls. I LOVED IT when Malone got called for the foul with his flying elbow. He's been doing that for 18 years now, and he's finally getting called.

Spurs Dynasty!

Who did the Timberwolves put on Parker in most of their games? I don't have the all-access NBA package so I wasn't able to watch many regular season games. :( I think the Kings are going to end up beating the Wolves too.

I hope this is a dynasty. I'm just worried about the Spurs being able to re-sign their players. I hope Manu doesn't leave town because he wants to be a starter and not come off the bench. I also hope Parker doesn't take any of the Jason Kidd stuff personal when it's his turn to get a new contract. That was a brilliant draft, especially when you consider where the Spurs picked them. If not for Manu and Parker, this team is totally different.

Parker's new celebrity reminds me of what happened to Bibby on the Kings a few years ago when he took off in the playoffs. I'm glad to see another Spur besides Duncan getting a lot of attention. It's time the Spurs got their due respect. Phil Jackson won't be able to go into his usual bag of excuses when the Lakers are beat for a second year in a row by the Spurs.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Who did the Timberwolves put on Parker in most of their games? I don't have the all-access NBA package so I wasn't able to watch many regular season games. :( I think the Kings are going to end up beating the Wolves too.

I hope this is a dynasty. I'm just worried about the Spurs being able to re-sign their players. I hope Manu doesn't leave town because he wants to be a starter and not come off the bench. I also hope Parker doesn't take any of the Jason Kidd stuff personal when it's his turn to get a new contract. That was a brilliant draft, especially when you consider where the Spurs picked them. If not for Manu and Parker, this team is totally different.

Parker's new celebrity reminds me of what happened to Bibby on the Kings a few years ago when he took off in the playoffs. I'm glad to see another Spur besides Duncan getting a lot of attention. It's time the Spurs got their due respect. Phil Jackson won't be able to go into his usual bag of excuses when the Lakers are beat for a second year in a row by the Spurs.

I'm no capologist, but I think they still have a lot of flexibility from their responsible free agent shopping last year. I think they knew they would have to resign Manu. When they brought on Hedo and Mercer (now gone) it was because they'd both be rolling off the salary rolls this year. I think Horry's deal is just one or two years as well.

I gotta believe Manu will resign. If Kobe does leave and goes to the Eastern conf, that makes Bowen expendable (although I think he'll resign anyway). But he's a FA as well. Parker's still under contract for another year or so, but I think the Spurs will give him what he wants to make him happy. I'm not sure if hes a max salary guy, but he's getting close.

The only really bad salary is Malik Rose. I think they'll probably unload him this year for some additional contracts that will expire soon.

The great thing is that they're to the point now where they don't need to add another marquee player, so they can spend responsibly on new players. But I really don't think an AI, McGrady, or Kobe would make their team all that much better. Might even be a distraction.

I think they're set for years to come.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:

TruBlue: I found this chat on a Spurs website that answers a lot of their contract questions, if you're interested:

Question: Will the Spurs be able to keep Manu Ginobili after this season? I think he is a very important part of the team and he would be a starter in any other team.
— Sagar Khaire, Bellevue, WA

Mike Monroe: They can keep him, but it's going to cost them. Several other teams (Denver and Phoenix, to name two who have lots of cap room) have plenty of interest. Suns Coach Mike D'Antoni has a relationship with Manu from his days coaching in the Italian League when Manu played in Italy. However, he is a restricted free agent, meaning the Spurs can match any team's offer. They intend to do just that, which will discourage other teams from offering in the first place.

Joe Reinagel: The Spurs also think Manu is a valuable part of the team and will make every effort to keep him around. The only snag I can see is if the Spurs decide they want to go after someone like Kobe Bryant, but even then Manu makes sense, so look Manu's crazy style of play in a Spurs uniform for many years to come.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question: Will the Spurs attempt to acquire Kobe Bryant during the off-season?
— Omar Rodriguez, Aurora, IL

Mike Monroe: Kobe is one of the best players in the game, and if you have the cap room to make him a maximum offer you would be nuts not to consider it. However, the timing of his sexual assault trial (August at the earliest) means the Spurs would have to renounce Ginobili, Turkoglu and Horry to have the cap space to signing him and would not know the outcome of his trial. That is too great a risk to take, so I don't expect it to happen.

Joe Reinagel: Having Kobe here in San Antonio is a long shot, although who wouldn't want Kobe on their team? So you might expect a small peek at what it would take. My guess is the Lakers will find a way to keep him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question: Please explain how last year's first round trade is going to work for the Spurs in this year's draft. Also what is the status of Luis Scola? If I recall he was a teammate of Manu Ginobili's in Argentina and is the property of the Spurs. Is this accurate?

— Chris, Austin

Mike Monroe: Spurs have Scola's NBA rights, but he is under contract to a team in the Spanish league, so Spurs would have to buy him out of that if he can't negotiate a release. They may want him to get another year of seasoning overseas. Spurs don't have a first round pick this year.

Joe Reinagel: It gets somewhat complicated but the Spurs traded last year's pick to Phoenix for a protected pick, meaning if the Suns have a top 20 pick, it is protected for a number of years, basically it means the Spurs did not want to draft a first rounder and be obligated to pay him. As for Scola, he is the property of the Spurs, just like Manu was for three years until the team and Manu decided it was time to come play in the NBA.

Question: I can only assume that we will only make a light-hearted attempt at Kobe Bryant this off-season and simply end up signing Manu Ginobili and Hedo Turkuglo to keep the team pretty much intact. But I'm more interested in Tony Parker. He has matured into an elite point guard. When is his contract up and how can we be sure to keep him, considering all the problems between him and Gregg Popovich the past year?
— Scott Karafin, Columbus, Ohio

Mike Monroe: Tony is under contract through next season. There is no way the Spurs will let Tony get away.

Joe Reinagel: Having Kobe here in San Antonio is a long shot, although who wouldn't want Kobe on their team...So you might expect a small peek at what it would take. My guess is the Lakers will find way to keep him.

Question: Who can we expect to see in terms of new players next season, and which players will we lose?
— Jimmy Fisch, Los Angeles, Calif.

Mike Monroe: The Spurs like their core group and will only "fine tune" the roster this summer. If they can sign a free agent "big" you might see them let Kevin Willis retire.

Joe Reinagel: The one player that I think the Spurs will try and deal is Malik Rose. He has found a spot on the end of Pop's bench plus the fact that he is making a bunch of money.

Question: Will the Spurs be better off building their nucleus around Tim Duncan, Tony Parker, and Manu Ginobili and continue to spend their money modestly on good roll players? Or do you feel that we should still try to pick up another super star and run the risk of compromising a deep bench, and good roll players in return?

— Richard Valadez, San Antonio

Mike Monroe: I believe Duncan and Parker form the basis of a championship team for years to come and the Spurs should try to keep their core roster together as long as they can. I see Duncan and Parker as this generation's Malone and Stockton. The Jazz didn't win any titles with Malone and Stockton, but that was only because they were unfortunate to have to play the Michael Jordan Bulls.

Joe Reinagel: I have to believe the Spurs will continue to build around these players. Pop and R.C. Buford don't get near the credit they deserve when it comes to assembling players, in fact I don't think they thought this team would be as good as it has become. Having said that, just like last year, if they have a chance to add a star, I think they would be willing to take the shot.

Question: If Kobe Bryant does join the Spurs, won't he knock heads with Tony Parker and Tim Duncan? Do we really need him?
— Patricia Chapa, San Antonio

Mike Monroe: Kobe is a headstrong player, to be sure. Duncan is a total team player who would adjust easily, as long as Kobe understood Tim needs to get the ball in crunch time. I could see problems between Kobe and Tony. But I think it is moot. I don't believe the Spurs will go after Kobe.

Joe Reinagel: I think you could look at any team and say, 'Yes, we need Kobe Bryant.' He is arguably the best player in the NBA right now and would make any team better. But he would have to fit in with Tim and Tony because Pop wouldn't have it any other way.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
It's hard to believe Malik doesn't play anymore. He was a 6th Man of the Year candidate not too long ago. I'll be sad to see him go but they do need to dump that salary.

SoTex

Giddy Up
Reaction score
The Spurs will be roughly $10 million under the cap next year. Ginobli and Parker are going no-where. The city would lynch Pop. :D

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
It's going to be a great game today. (game 3) I just read Gary Payton's outburst to the media and Phil Jackson's comments. It sounds like the Lakers are going to try and explode in game three. Beat 'em down Spurs! Go Spurs!

RedskinsFanInTX

Reaction score
SoTex said:
The Spurs will be roughly $10 million under the cap next year. Ginobli and Parker are going no-where. The city would lynch Pop. :D
I don't know if they would lynch him. I was thinking something more like.......
guillotine.gif

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
I can't believe we have to wait until freaking Thursday to watch game four. The NBA really needs to speed the playoffs up.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
I can't believe we have to wait until freaking Thursday to watch game four. The NBA really needs to speed the playoffs up.

Game 4 is tonight (tuesday). Game 5 (the last game in the series :p ) is on Thurs.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
I think I was going by ABC's next game. Yeah, I saw that earlier on the ESPN website. It's good to know I only have to wait two days for the next game now. :p

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Okay Lakers, you can stop winning now. :mad:

The Spurs really miss their roster from last year.

What I'd give to have the Admiral playing defense instead of Rasho. Or Steven Jackson and Steve Kerr taking some threes. :(