ST: Cowboys defense has gone three games without a takeaway

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I love this team...have all of my life, but this is why I'm starting to get apathetic towards it. Many might say I'm late to the apathy party regarding this team, but I always held out hope that the ship would be righted.

This defense has been subpar consistently for a long-time, even pre-Marinelli. Everyone remembers GROZ, Rob Ryan, etc...nothing has changed. This year, however has been the worst I've seen in recent times.

I used to get upset...even angry watching opposing teams methodically pick apart this defense on the way down to score. Now I just know it's going to happen and hope that somehow that opposing offense becomes inept inside the red zone and has to settle for 3.

I'm no football expert, so I can't explain how to get out of this funk on D...this funk that we've been in since what, the early 2000's?

The one thing I do know is that Jerry can't hold a blind-eye towards defense after this 2017 campaign.

Here's hoping the offense continues to score 30 week in and week out.

stiletto

Reaction score
Just need more play-makers and less bargain basement guys...The current defense is basically a group of JAGS + Sean Lee. There are other guys but they can't seem to stay on the field for a full season to help us out consistently..Irving, Demarcus Lawrence, etc. I really think we just need another LB (hopefully Hitchens suffices) and a TRUE ball hawking safety to cure this defense's ills. Xavier Woods should get more playing time to see if he's the guy IMO. Heath has to go and the fact he is still starting is a complete joke.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Not only have we gone 3 straight games without a defensive takeaway, our offense has scored at least 28 points in each of those games. That's only happened one other time (2002 Bills) since 1937.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oh, and if you think 3 games without a takeaway is bad, you don't even want to know how long it's been since we've scored a non-offensive touchdown.

Those numbers will make you cry yourself to sleep.
Yes they will. 27 games without a non-offensive TD.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I love this team...have all of my life, but this is why I'm starting to get apathetic towards it. Many might say I'm late to the apathy party regarding this team, but I always held out hope that the ship would be righted.

This defense has been subpar consistently for a long-time, even pre-Marinelli. Everyone remembers GROZ, Rob Ryan, etc...nothing has changed. This year, however has been the worst I've seen in recent times.

I used to get upset...even angry watching opposing teams methodically pick apart this defense on the way down to score. Now I just know it's going to happen and hope that somehow that opposing offense becomes inept inside the red zone and has to settle for 3.

I'm no football expert, so I can't explain how to get out of this funk on D...this funk that we've been in since what, the early 2000's?

The one thing I do know is that Jerry can't hold a blind-eye towards defense after this 2017 campaign.

Here's hoping the offense continues to score 30 week in and week out.

Sometimes, a team will just turn things around...as did the Raiders against KC. That can happen with the Cowboys also...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Not only have we gone 3 straight games without a defensive takeaway, our offense has scored at least 28 points in each of those games. That's only happened one other time (2002 Bills) since 1937.

Percy, and I would have toexplain that this offense was under performing, even then.

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
they drop INTs, they don't take risks by jumping routes, the D-Line has no awareness (Crawford laying on ball in Rams game)

they all just basically have their collective heads up their *****, so it's no shock the TO numbers suck

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
Oh, and if you think 3 games without a takeaway is bad, you don't even want to know how long it's been since we've scored a non-offensive touchdown.

Those numbers will make you cry yourself to sleep.
didn't they get one in the Broncos game? edit: nvm, no they didn't

Rolando McClain's pick 6 vs. Tannehill was the last one i think

TheHerd

Reaction score
40 TO is a decent number. 1/2 that sucks.

40 isn't decent, it's outstanding, better than any team has done in the last 4 years:

Leaders the past few years:

2016: 33 KC (Dallas 20)
2015: 39 Carolina (Dallas 11)
2014: 34 Houston ( Dallas 31)
2013: 39 Seattle (Dallas 28)
2012: 44 Chicago (Dallas 16)

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Cowboys defense has gone three games without a takeaway

BY DREW DAVISON ddavison@star-telegram.com OCTOBER 19, 2017 5:34 PM

FRISCO

Byron Jones kept it simple.

The Dallas Cowboys free safety had a simple answer in terms of what the defense must improve upon coming off the bye week and a disappointing 2-3 start. 

“Take the ball away,” Jones said. “Just take the ball away.” 

So far this season, that’s easier said than done. This is a unit that seemingly doesn’t have a nose for the ball or any players who would be described as “ballhawks.” 

The defense has produced just three takeaways in five games, and is on pace for 10 (rounding up). They haven’t had a takeaway since Jourdan Lewis’ interception late in the third quarter in Week 2 at Denver. 

The drought has gone on for 213 defensive snaps and counting. Forget the 40 takeaway goal before the season — a feat that hasn’t been reached in the NFL since 2012 — this team should be happy to get half that at this rate. 

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article179838806.html

That Byron Jones seems like a wise tinker, an intellectual stratetigian.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Scheme stinks.

We have two non-ballhawks at S, with one being pretty much useless and the other probably a better slot CB than FS.

We get little to no push up the middle with our DTs to where we force QBs into making tougher throws.

Frankly, I am not sure why people were surprised by this. I think some tricked themselves into thinking King Rod's move to more zone defense would result in more turnovers. That was wishful thinking it seems.
I agree, lad!
Yet, with more of a push up the middle, wouldn't our secondary, overall, play better?
Hollah

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
40 isn't decent, it's outstanding, better than any team has done in the last 4 years:

Ok my poor choice of words but that's how I meant it. I see 35 as a goal, 40 as being very good and 45 as being elite. You have to look at the Diff though.

pitt33

Reaction score
This is not a new issue with Marinelli's defenses in Dallas.

I know people love to bring up how Chicago had turnovers galore, but that was clearly not coaching.

Tillman, Briggs and Urlacher etc., did those things in spite of his schemes.

It seems there is an article practically every year about how Marinelli is frustrated by the lack of turnovers forced.

A year here or there is an anomaly.

This is an official issue and Marinelli needs to own it and he needs to be held accountable for it.
Great points.

No doubt this is on Marinelli now and Sturm made reference to it in his blog.

And it kills me how our secondary from last year are balling with their respective teams.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Great points.

No doubt this is on Marinelli now and Sturm made reference to it in his blog.

And it kills me how our secondary from last year are balling with their respective teams.
Coaching is always the great equalizer. Always.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just need more play-makers and less bargain basement guys...The current defense is basically a group of JAGS + Sean Lee. There are other guys but they can't seem to stay on the field for a full season to help us out consistently..Irving, Demarcus Lawrence, etc. I really think we just need another LB (hopefully Hitchens suffices) and a TRUE ball hawking safety to cure this defense's ills. Xavier Woods should get more playing time to see if he's the guy IMO. Heath has to go and the fact he is still starting is a complete joke.

I'm putting the failure on scheme and coaching and less on the players. Most of them have been swapped out by now and the disappointing results still remain.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Only 3 games? Feels like 3 years.

Cowboys defense has gone three games without a takeaway

BY DREW DAVISON ddavison@star-telegram.com OCTOBER 19, 2017 5:34 PM

FRISCO

Byron Jones kept it simple.

The Dallas Cowboys free safety had a simple answer in terms of what the defense must improve upon coming off the bye week and a disappointing 2-3 start. 

“Take the ball away,” Jones said. “Just take the ball away.” 

So far this season, that’s easier said than done. This is a unit that seemingly doesn’t have a nose for the ball or any players who would be described as “ballhawks.” 

The defense has produced just three takeaways in five games, and is on pace for 10 (rounding up). They haven’t had a takeaway since Jourdan Lewis’ interception late in the third quarter in Week 2 at Denver. 

The drought has gone on for 213 defensive snaps and counting. Forget the 40 takeaway goal before the season — a feat that hasn’t been reached in the NFL since 2012 — this team should be happy to get half that at this rate. 

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article179838806.html

Hawkeye19

Reaction score

KAEm_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif