News: ST: Cowboys have to ‘open up the playbook’ for Dak, analyst says

NewsBot

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys should “open up the playbook” for quarterback Dak Prescott if they want to crack the Big Blue code that has them 11-0 against the NFL and 0-2 against the New York Giants, an ESPN analyst says.

ESPN NFL Insiders analyst Louis Riddick, a former NFL safety, scout and pro personnel director, said the Cowboys haven’t been able to produce explosive plays against the Giants (9-4) in losing twice, 20-19 in the season opener and 10-7 on Sunday night.

“They haven’t done a good job of isolating guys down the field to win some jump balls in the outside lane, and haven’t put the safeties under duress,” Riddick said on Monday’s telecast.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article120552748.html#storylink=cpy
Click to Continue »

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
So we are using a reduced playbook for Dak?

I thought the reason he was starting over Romo is because he can make every read, make every throw, make every audible, and has full command of the entire playbook better than Romo. Isnt that why he beat Romo out, because he is better than Romo?

I don't ever recall Romo needing a reduced playbook or that we needed to open up the playbook for Romo.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
These are the sort of issues you face when your quarterback is good at many things, but throwing a football isn't one of them.
:facepalm:
So we are using a reduced playbook for Dak?

I thought the reason he was starting over Romo is because he can make every read, make every throw, make every audible, and has full command of the entire playbook better than Romo. Isnt that why he beat Romo out, because he is better than Romo?

I don't ever recall Romo needing a reduced playbook or that we needed to open up the playbook for Romo.
I don't recall Tony ever being good enough his first year to be the starter as a rookie...

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
:facepalm:

I don't recall Tony ever being good enough his first year to be the starter as a rookie...

What the hell does how good Romo was 14 years ago matter right now?

This is the decision to make.............Dak as a rookie or Romo as a 14 year vet......who is better RIGHT NOW, not in your imaginary time machine.

I seriously had to explain this to you?

Wow

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score

This is the decision to make.............Dak as a rookie or Romo as a 14 year vet......who is better RIGHT NOW, not in your imaginary time machine.

Wow
Not to mention he played for Bill Parcells, who would have never played a rookie under any circumstances, even injury. He would have just gone out and signed an Interceptaverde-style veteran.
These are not details the SDCowboy troll would have known though. With the things he says, I'm skeptical he was even alive in 2003.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
I have a suspicion this is a very crucial time in Dak's career. How he responds to his first real adversity at this level will tell us a lot about him.

He's been up and down since the Philly game, and the Cowboys are fortunate to only have 2 losses. A lot of players have come into the league, had a nice streak, then disappeared. Hopefully, he isn't one of them.

9darter

Reaction score
Not sure I'm prepared to witness that based on his Giants performance.

SDCowboy

Reaction score

Wow
Your comment that I was responding to was you don't remember Tony ever having to have a reduced playbook. That's because Tony was never the starter as a rookie. Do I have to explain that to you?

Last edited:

Romotil45

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys should “open up the playbook” for quarterback Dak Prescott if they want to crack the Big Blue code that has them 11-0 against the NFL and 0-2 against the New York Giants, an ESPN analyst says.

ESPN NFL Insiders analyst Louis Riddick, a former NFL safety, scout and pro personnel director, said the Cowboys haven’t been able to produce explosive plays against the Giants (9-4) in losing twice, 20-19 in the season opener and 10-7 on Sunday night.

“They haven’t done a good job of isolating guys down the field to win some jump balls in the outside lane, and haven’t put the safeties under duress,” Riddick said on Monday’s telecast.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article120552748.html#storylink=cpy
Click to Continue »

Continue reading...

It will not happen the coaching staff has no confidence in Dak making those reads they will put together another conservative game plan take Zeke out on critical downs and pray they loose so Romo can be inserted.

visionary

Reaction score
Not to mention he played for Bill Parcells, who would have never played a rookie under any circumstances, even injury. He would have just gone out and signed an Interceptaverde-style veteran.
These are not details the SDCowboy troll would have known though. With the things he says, I'm skeptical he was even alive in 2003.

Both things are correct

Dak is better as a rookie than Romo was

Romo is the better QB right now

Let's see what happens this Sunday before we make a decision

Gameover

Reaction score
The first loss was because they didn't score TD in the red area. Moved the ball up and down the field on 'em.

The second loss was to be expected given the weather conditions. I thought we would win the game, until I watched David Carr at KC. I went from confident in victory to we're probably losing this one.

I'll say this: give me a choice on who I would rather avoid in the playoffs between Washington and New York, I would like to avoid Washington. I want no parts of that offense. They get lucky on defense(turnover, great effort)) with that offense, game could be over real quick!

Eli and that offense ain't going no where.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
What's his passer rating? Isn't he closing in on some of Peyton's rookie records? Wasn't Peyton a good passer?

Are you trying to be funny?
No, I'm not being funny. His passer rating (which is a flawed stat anyway) is built off of throwing short passes to wide open receivers created by scheme. The article suggests opening up the playbook and "pressuring" the safeties. Relatively speaking that would require skills that are not his strength. He is not a pure passer like an Andrew Luck/Peyton Manning prospect.
There is more to being a QB than throwing the ball of course. Much more. But I wouldn't even rank Dak in the top 25 of the league in throwing skill. He's just a dink and dunk guy. Any improvements in the passing attack will have to come from scheme, not the QB slinging the ball around like Drew Brees.