News: ST: Cowboys have to ‘open up the playbook’ for Dak, analyst says

GIFTS86

Reaction score
No, I'm not being funny. His passer rating (which is a flawed stat anyway) is built off of throwing short passes to wide open receivers created by scheme. The article suggests opening up the playbook and "pressuring" the safeties. Relatively speaking that would require skills that are not his strength. He is not a pure passer like an Andrew Luck/Peyton Manning prospect.
There is more to being a QB than throwing the ball of course. Much more. But I wouldn't even rank Dak in the top 25 of the league in throwing skill. He's just a dink and dunk guy. Any improvements in the passing attack will have to come from scheme, not the QB slinging the ball around like Drew Brees.
Dink and dunk lol. Have you seen his deep ball? Throwing on the run deep ball? Dink and dunk your post

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Dink and dunk lol. Have you seen his deep ball? Throwing on the run deep ball? Dink and dunk your post
Yes I've seen him underthrow Williams and Beasley when they were open by 5 yards and try his best to overthrow Dez on what should have been a walk in TD. More to the point, just because you throw an occasional safe deep ball into man coverage it doesn't mean you aren't a dink and dunk QB. That is not even counting that most of his "deep balls" are on busted plays where the receiver is left wide open and my grandmother could make the pass.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I have an idea for them when going deep. When the defense is playing single safety high, how about not having Dez run a deep post right into him?

Teams are loading up the middle of the field and singling the outside WRs, how about throw some bombs up the sideline vs those 8 man boxes or a corner route or 10 yard come back (they have to respect the deep threat when they are on an island) or a deep in (Dez's best route) or a back shoulder pass.

There is no way it should be this easy to take away our outside WRs, like it has been. Seems like an ongoing pattern with JG's offense year after year vs teams with good corners.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
This can't be possible.

I heard here on this forum from several posters that Dak has opened up the playbook like never before.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
So we are using a reduced playbook for Dak?

I thought the reason he was starting over Romo is because he can make every read, make every throw, make every audible, and has full command of the entire playbook better than Romo. Isnt that why he beat Romo out, because he is better than Romo?

I don't ever recall Romo needing a reduced playbook or that we needed to open up the playbook for Romo.

No, he beat out Romo because ...
1.) Romo was injured
2.) Dak has played relatively mistake free football up until the Giants game. There's a correlation between turnovers and winning. It's not surprising that Dak's turnovers (his first mulitiple interception game) occurred in a game we loss. Eli turned the ball over too. We would have been even if Bailey had made that field goal before the half.
3. We were winning.

I don't think they should switch to Romo. But if Dak has another multiple interception game, and we lose, the reason he has started over Romo won't be as strongly in his favor.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
No, I'm not being funny. His passer rating (which is a flawed stat anyway) is built off of throwing short passes to wide open receivers created by scheme. The article suggests opening up the playbook and "pressuring" the safeties. Relatively speaking that would require skills that are not his strength. He is not a pure passer like an Andrew Luck/Peyton Manning prospect.
There is more to being a QB than throwing the ball of course. Much more. But I wouldn't even rank Dak in the top 25 of the league in throwing skill. He's just a dink and dunk guy. Any improvements in the passing attack will have to come from scheme, not the QB slinging the ball around like Drew Brees.
So he can't throw the deep ball, yet he has one of the highest yards/attempt in the league. Fascinating. Truly.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
What's really fascinating is that you think the two have anything to do with each other.
You're suggesting Dak's game is essentially predicated on dinking and dunking. That's false and completely not the case. And yes, having one of the highest yards/attempt goes completely against your argument.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
You're suggesting Dak's game is essentially predicated on dinking and dunking. That's false and completely not the case. And yes, having one of the highest yards/attempt goes completely against your argument.
A screen pass thrown horizontal to the line of scrimmage that is taken 50 yards down the field.
A 50 yard pass caught by the receiver as he goes out of bounds.
Two vastly different plays. "Yards per attempt" can't tell the difference.
Try again.

sbark

Reaction score
I have an idea for them when going deep. When the defense is playing single safety high, how about not having Dez run a deep post right into him?

Teams are loading up the middle of the field and singling the outside WRs, how about throw some bombs up the sideline vs those 8 man boxes or a corner route or 10 yard come back (they have to respect the deep threat when they are on an island) or a deep in (Dez's best route) or a back shoulder pass.

There is no way it should be this easy to take away our outside WRs, like it has been. Seems like an ongoing pattern with JG's offense year after year vs teams with good corners.

Seems to me the last time we saw TE's deep up the seam was vrs. Carolina last year (Kuckley picked off 2),
but they have completly forgot it as Witten slows a step. Give me that single high S with Dez one on one deep sideline and Escobar deep up the seam with the other safety taking a playaction fake to Zeke........

I think Linehan needs a "sitdown" with Gregory to get some imagination back into the calls...........:)

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
These are the sort of issues you face when your quarterback is good at many things, but throwing a football isn't one of them.
hqdefault.jpg

BoysfanfromCanada

Reaction score
So we are using a reduced playbook for Dak?

I thought the reason he was starting over Romo is because he can make every read, make every throw, make every audible, and has full command of the entire playbook better than Romo. Isnt that why he beat Romo out, because he is better than Romo?

I don't ever recall Romo needing a reduced playbook or that we needed to open up the playbook for Romo.

Not one ever said this. Dak was named starter because at that point he won 7 or 8 games in a row including vs Pittsburgh and Green Bay. Even Romo admitted you can't yank him after that. No one said he has command of the huddle better than a 10 year pro

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score

@percyhoward started a thread about his yards per attempt. It was quite good.

Is that a flawed stat?

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
For evaluating passers yes. For evaluating team passing, it's a great stat.
How does it apply to the team differently than the qb?

Is it not a good indicator of how far a qb is passing the ball down field?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
We just have to adjust to what teams are doing. They are pressing and blitzing. Doubling up Dez, sending pressure and playing a short zone forcing Dak to search, while the blitz gets loose and takes him out. What Dak has to do is attack the deep middle of the defense right away. We may have to come out throwing against Tampa. Hit the deep middle, hit the deep out, and hit the bomb. If the coaching staff has the balls to do this, we'll call off the dogs and unleash Zeke. Dak Prescott is a very coachable person and will do what the coaches ask.