News: ST: Cowboys linebacker Anthony Hitchens’ rehab is ‘moving faster than expected’

TheHerd

Reaction score
What am I missing? Wasn't the initial prognosis 4-6 weeks? Last Sat was 4 weeks from the injury date. This seems like everything is exactly on track with the initial assessment.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Unl

I have access to medical literature and cannot find anything to support to EM field, or anything of the like to increase fracture heal times.

Theory is that the more pressure you put on a bone, faster it will heal. However I don't know of any medically significant literature to support it.

Also it isn't been touched on in any of my sports management rehabilitation courses yet.

*shrugs*

EM means electromagnetic and it is used a good deal esp post op certainly for hips and necks to mention two. It's been around over 30 years although it has gained wide acceptance now. I'm not certain it would be used for a small non-displaced tibial plateau fracture though. I merely mentioned it. His fracture has to be minimal and is likely as much a radiographic finding as a symptomatic fracture. I say this because of how they are treating it and the timeline. It has to be minimal.

The fact he's a pro athlete does change the treatment options as they will do AMAP to get him back on the field as quickly as they can. So EM even for a minimal fracture could be used in this scenario.