News: ST: Cowboys TE Jason Witten should set another team record this week

NewsBot

Reaction score
FRISCO

Jason Witten heard from Michael Irvin when he passed the Hall of Famer for the most catches in team history. Witten should hear from Irvin again next week after Witten replaces Irvin for the most receiving yards in team history.

“When I came in this organization, I learned real quick his mentality and approach and who he was,” Witten said. “He meant a lot to this organization. He’s the Playmaker. He was a heck of a player. But I think the thing I respect more is just how approached the game. You hear people say that all the time and I hope people say that about my career, he approached an OTA the same way he did a playoff game. I have a lot of respect for him. I’d be honored to pass him in the record books.”

Witten, who has 11,878 career receiving yards, needs only 27 yards to pass Irvin for the top spot in team history. That ranks Witten second in NFL history among tight ends behind only Tony Gonzalez (15,127).

“It’s going to be special,” Witten said of topping Irvin. “The opportunities I’ve been able to have and to be able to think of all the great receivers and tight ends to play in this organization.”

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports...rner-blog/article123631189.html#storylink=cpy
Click to Continue »

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluefin

Reaction score
Witten, who has 11,878 career receiving yards, needs only 27 yards to pass Irvin for the top spot in team history. That ranks Witten second in NFL history among tight ends behind only Tony Gonzalez (15,127).

Jason Witten is 3,249 receiving yards behind Tony Gonzalez right now and may not be able to overcome the deficit before calling it a career.

Witten (1088) is also 237 receptions behind Gonzales (1325) at the moment. It's by no means a given, but this is the more likely goal to reach.

The Vol only needs seven catches to pass Tim Brown (1094) for sixth place, 14 more to pass Cris Carter (1101) for fifth and 15 more to overtake Marvin Harrison (1102) for fourth.

Larry Fitzgerald (1120) is in third place and overtook Wit this year with a 100+ catch season. The final two years on Fitz's contract are written to void following this season. I don't know if Fitz is planning to continue playing with Arizona or another team in 2017 or is he may decide to retire.

MagicMan

Reaction score
With Witten's career nearing its ultimate end, I can see why he would want to stick around for maybe 2 or 3 more years. He is finally on a team
that has SB potential for years to come and he wants part of that; can't blame him. But we do need to get his replacement soon----I don't think he is currently on this roster. We need one that can put pressure on the defense in the middle of the field and more YAC potential.

But he will be a sure fire first ballot hall of famer and ROH inductee.

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score
These are remarkable milestones for a TE. I'm very proud of what Witten has accomplished now lets go get him a Super Bowl!

Thomas82

Reaction score
With Witten's career nearing its ultimate end, I can see why he would want to stick around for maybe 2 or 3 more years. He is finally on a team
that has SB potential for years to come and he wants part of that; can't blame him. But we do need to get his replacement soon----I don't think he is currently on this roster. We need one that can put pressure on the defense in the middle of the field and more YAC potential.

OJ Howard would be a perfect fit for us.

lwehlers

Reaction score
i hope that romo is the quarterback that helps witten get the yards he needs to make the record.

bandfan

Reaction score

I wouldn't mind if Jerry made him the first active player inducted into ROH....

Gameover

Reaction score
Perspective: 223(maybe) games vs 159 games

Needed 1,000+ vs 750 Receptions

He should Thank God for ACL injury and drug suspension. He wouldn't see that record otherwise.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Perspective: 223(maybe) games vs 159 games

Needed 1,000+ vs 750 Receptions

He should Thank God for ACL injury and drug suspension. He wouldn't see that record otherwise.

Most WRS average more yards per reception than tight ends. It is the nature of the two positions.

Scotman

Reaction score
I think there are only 8 or 9 TE's in the Hall of Fame. Does Witten actually make it if we don't win the Superbowl this year/ Serious questions.

I think he deserves it. He's been an absolute ROCK for us for a decade. But is that enough?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Those are classy comments in honor of Irvin in advance of breaking his record and typical of Witten.
He's indicative of everything any Dallas Cowboy should be proud of to represent his team. :bow:

joseephuss

Reaction score
I think there are only 8 or 9 TE's in the Hall of Fame. Does Witten actually make it if we don't win the Superbowl this year/ Serious questions.

I think he deserves it. He's been an absolute ROCK for us for a decade. But is that enough?

Yes, he will get into the Hall of Fame even without a Superbowl.

Only 4 of the 8 modern era tight ends have a Superbowl ring. Tony Gonzales will be a Hall of Famer and he has only 1 playoff win. Antonio Gates will be a Hall of Famer and he doesn't have a Superbowl ring, either.

Modern Era: Tight Ends (8)
Dave Casper 1974-1984(SB ring)
Mike Ditka 1961-1972(SB ring)
John Mackey 1963-1972(SB ring)
Ozzie Newsome 1978-1990
Charlie Sanders 1968-1977
Shannon Sharpe 1990-2003(SB ring)
Jackie Smith 1963-1978
Kellen Winslow 1979-1987

Scotman

Reaction score
Yes, he will get into the Hall of Fame even without a Superbowl.

Only 4 of the 8 modern era tight ends have a Superbowl ring. Tony Gonzales will be a Hall of Famer and he has only 1 playoff win. Antonio Gates will be a Hall of Famer and he doesn't have a Superbowl ring, either.

Modern Era: Tight Ends (8)
Dave Casper 1974-1984(SB ring)
Mike Ditka 1961-1972(SB ring)
John Mackey 1963-1972(SB ring)
Ozzie Newsome 1978-1990
Charlie Sanders 1968-1977
Shannon Sharpe 1990-2003(SB ring)
Jackie Smith 1963-1978
Kellen Winslow 1979-1987

I really do hope you're right. Witten is everything that's right about professional football.