News: ST: Jones on draft: Trade action possible, no Jaylon Smith redshirts

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From the article...

"Drafting a player this year that is going to be redshirted high, with some of our needs, that gets problematic a little bit,” Jones said. “Doing a Jaylon this year when we are probably going to get a chance to get a player that’s got a chance to play. We’ve got to play young."

With that In mind.
I know my fellow draft nerds back here like to look at guys going into the draft that the Cowboys might take. Like to thin the herd of possible names by seeing if Dallas has had interest in them among other reasons.
Might be wise to keep a list of 1st or 2nd round guys that will probably not be able to play early on and possibly move them off the possible players we would draft in the first or second round.

I don't know of the players that are currently injured except for

1. CB Sydney Jones

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
"Near the bottom of the first, moving toward the top ... this sets up for a little potential trade action to try to gain some value or try to hit an opportunity," Jones said. "I have never looked at where we were when we started a draft and thought we are not going to get a very good player right there. The assumption being that is where you are going to be when you have to make a decision. All that plays out as it unfolds. There are some opportunities (for trades up or down).”

This is one draft where I absolutely would favor a trade down. Getting volume in a deep draft at several positions would be excellent.

Aside from trading to get a one next year, I would trade into the second if it brought more picks in this draft. I also think he will find a way to get the Matt Cassel fifth back.

RS12

Reaction score
They should try and acquire an extra pick between 20 and 70. Talent is real close in that range. Thanks to the "do right by Romo blather' it wont come by trading him.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Who says we won't be able to get an impact player at #28? :huh:Yes we will.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The current state of your roster should never effect your draft philosophy. If it does you probably have a horrible GM running things.

1st year production is draft for need and it's always a bad idea.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
This is one draft where I absolutely would favor a trade down. Getting volume in a deep draft at several positions would be excellent.

Aside from trading to get a one next year, I would trade into the second if it brought more picks in this draft. I also think he will find a way to get the Matt Cassel fifth back.
You should always favor a trade down.

That's also consistent with what the smart teams do. Right?

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
The current state of your roster should never effect your draft philosophy. If it does you probably have a horrible GM running things.

1st year production is draft for need and it's always a bad idea.
You advocated last year drafting Zeke because he had the highest "1st year impact."

Please try to be internally consistent.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I never advocated drafting Zeke for 1st year impact. That's an outright lie from a waste of space pant leg puller seeking attention.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jaylon was a luxury last season we couldn't afford. I keep thinking what impact a legit 2nd round defender might have given us last season. With the line between advancing and not advancing as thin as it was, one or two plays by a #34 pick in that GB game might have been the difference between winning and losing.

But, hey, who am I to complain?

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Taking JJ at his word is a slippery slope. This is a guy that would sell seat licenses for the apocalypse.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Jaylon was a luxury last season we couldn't afford. I keep thinking what impact a legit 2nd round defender might have given us last season.

It is an interesting what if game.

If they had passed, would say Myles Jack or Noah Spence have made a difference?