St. Paul Press: Daunte Culpepper may be out in Minny? (future QB for Dallas?)

NorthDalal

Reaction score
Let's See.

Miami needs a QB--- Daunte's from FL
Arizona has Denny Green
Jets start Vinnie, Pennington may be through.
Detroit has great WRs and an accomplished QB coach in Mariucci.
Green Bay will lose Brett after this season.

All these teams would be in the market for a 8 Million/yr. QB before Dallas.

dallasblue05

Reaction score
King Tuna, Nors, though I am not YET one of the "well known" names on this board, lol, I have been her a while now, and I would like to point out that I too have been advocating Bledsoe my entire "posting career" so to speak. It may not be as recognized because I dont have a million posts yet, but I was in that "empty bus" you 2 were driving. Just thought I'd point that out.

KingTuna

Reaction score
dallasblue05 said:
King Tuna, Nors, though I am not YET one of the "well known" names on this board, lol, I have been her a while now, and I would like to point out that I too have been advocating Bledsoe my entire "posting career" so to speak. It may not be as recognized because I dont have a million posts yet, but I was in that "empty bus" you 2 were driving. Just thought I'd point that out.

Thanks for stepping up and letting everyone know your position Dallasblue05!

Nors and I mention this because we were the only people posting back in 2004 just after the mid-point in last season that Bledsoe should be a Cowboy.

We were often ridiculed for our position and despite all of it we never wavered in our stand that Bledsoe could lead us to the promise land.

Well, it ACTUALLY DID happen and after week 8 Bledsoe stands firm as the #1 QB in the NFC.

There are many here who jumped on the bandwagon once he was signed and certainly after his gutsy play and outstanding leadership this year.

Nors and I also will be the same steady people that even when Drew has a bad game can see the big picture and that does not change our stance or convictions.

Take good notice of the postings here and watch close for the bandwagon supporters. They are easy to spot because after a loss they usually read "Bledsoe is a statue and is costing us the season. He must go NOW." followed by some other inteligent statements like, Let's start Romo or Henson and win with them. hahahahahaha...

Anyway, I see you joined in Feb. 2005 so I applaude you for the forsight to preach the "Bledsoe to Dallas" gospel back when most everyone was calling it a very bad idea.

Nors and I claim the "Grandfather" clause (whatever thatis, even if there is such a thing!) only because we started the campaign with everyone in the Zone back in 2004.

Anyway, Here's to the #1 QB in the NFC and perhaps the entire NFL...

Drew Bledsoe.... :bow: :bow: :bow:

dallasblue05

Reaction score
KingTuna said:

Nors and I mention this because we were the only people posting back in 2004 just after the mid-point in last season that Bledsoe should be a Cowboy.

We were often ridiculed for our position and despite all of it we never wavered in our stand that Bledsoe could lead us to the promise land.

Well, it ACTUALLY DID happen and after week 8 Bledsoe stands firm as the #1 QB in the NFC.

There are many here who jumped on the bandwagon once he was signed and certainly after his gutsy play and outstanding leadership this year.

Nors and I also will be the same steady people that even when Drew has a bad game can see the big picture and that does not change our stance or convictions.

Take good notice of the postings here and watch close for the bandwagon supporters. They are easy to spot because after a loss they usually read "Bledsoe is a statue and is costing us the season. He must go NOW." followed by some other inteligent statements like, Let's start Romo or Henson and win with them. hahahahahaha...

Anyway, I see you joined in Feb. 2005 so I applaude you for the forsight to preach the "Bledsoe to Dallas" gospel back when most everyone was calling it a very bad idea.

Nors and I claim the "Grandfather" clause (whatever thatis, even if there is such a thing!) only because we started the campaign with everyone in the Zone back in 2004.

Agreed, which is the big reason I didnt contest the "Grandfather" status, and duely acknowledge your's!!! lol, not saying you're old.....But you're right, I remember when I didnt have many posts that I would be pro-bledsoe, and people would jump on me....now some of those people are up and down every week depeding on how he does so I definitely notice the bandwagon guys.......but back to the football aspect, I think Bledsoe is the perfect fit here because we're not built to have a mobile QB, sure it helps but I wont acknowledge the importance of the "running QB" in the NFL until one wins the SB....I know it provides a great advantage, but a running game and an accurate passer with a big arm opens the defense up just as much as the running QB, you just dont see it as blatently, you have to look at the numbers to find it....many people arent willing to dig into the numbers to find out exactly how much of an advantage it can create!! Just my two cents though......thoughts?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Culpepper doesnt do much for me...he has had some big number games against mediocre teams, but has been pretty lousy in the postseason and has been absolutely dreadful this yr...he's always been turnover prone

I dont think he is a "winner"...

David

dallasblue05

Reaction score
I tend to think he doesnt know the Position as well as he should. With moss you can run around long enough to let him improvise and with DCs arm he can get it to him......I think DC may not have as much football smatrs as he should, it has showed this season

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
KingTuna said:

raises hand.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I love Culpepper but I want to see him after this injury. I wanted us to draft him when he came out.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967 said:
and Bledsoe's been way better than Culpepper this yr

David

Perhaps you didn't see the ;)

rcaldw

Reaction score
Nors said:
King -

The mass Dallas fanbase bought hook and sinker that Drew was a scrub. Mindwash from some Bill/NY elements past 2 years. Knock no Super Bowl.

Fact is he's got all the tools and is a tremedously gifted passer. No suprise to us what he's doing but it was near unanimous against Drew back in February. I believe we were the only 2 calling for Bledsoe in 2004......

I can see us drafting a QB Day 2 To push Henson on roster. Romo has #2 nailed down.

Culpepper? There is a better chance we see Bledsoe's contract EXTENDED by season's end....

You are HILARIOUS. Romo has #2 nailed down. Hehe, the power of positive thinking. KEEP SAYING IT, KEEP SAYING IT, KEEP SAYING......

Romo has it nailed down right now, not into the future. Jerry Jones says he is treating Henson like a #1 draft pick, has never said anything remotely close to that about golf boy.

Dayton Cowboy

Reaction score
What I have not seen is mention of the 'sex boat' legal problems that may go with Culpepper.. I thought I had heard that he was on board one of the boats?? Has he been cleared?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Damn. One bad season and everyone is already writing you off. I think the Cowboys could get one hell of a deal if financial matters fell apart in Minnesota and Dallas traded or signed him after his release. Let him sit back, finish healing, while Bledsoe leads us again next year. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with Culpepper on the bench as an emergency and the inevitable future than I would with Romo and Henson.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/football/13086997.htm

Crunching Daunte's contract
Vikings could have financial decisions to make after QB's injury
BY SEAN JENSEN
Pioneer Press

The shock of Daunte Culpepper's season-ending knee injury still hasn't settled in for the Pro Bowl quarterback or his beleaguered team.

Culpepper has not made any public comments since learning he tore three ligaments in his right knee, keeping him out for at least the next six months.

The quarterback's uncertain status could give the Vikings one more delicate matter to deal with in what could be a tumultuous offseason.

As part of the original 10-year, $102 million contract Culpepper signed in May 2003, the quarterback is due a $2.5 million roster bonus in mid-March and a 2006 base salary of $2 million. But last August, in addition to receiving a $4 million signing bonus immediately, Culpepper was awarded an additional $3.5 million roster bonus due next March, according to NFL Players Association salary documents. That brings his 2006 compensation total to $8 million.

Unlike in the NBA and Major League Baseball, NFL contracts are not guaranteed, except for signing bonuses. The Vikings are not obligated to pay Culpepper any of the $8 million agreed to for next season, and they could release or trade him before those bonuses are due and accept a salary-cap charge for a player of Culpepper's caliber. The Vikings' accelerated salary-cap charge would be approximately $5.6 million, a net savings of $2.4 million.

The Vikings also could ask Culpepper to accept a pay cut.

Culpepper was not available for comment, and his agent, Mason Ashe, took exception to the timing of this report.

"There is no evidence that any of us have that he is not going to come back stronger than ever," Ashe said. "So there is no cause to pause or wonder what options are available because he's still the leader of this team and there's no reason why the team would do anything to change the course of the agreement in place."

Vikings vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski declined comment. Owner Zygi Wilf did not respond to an interview request.

Two prominent agents who represent some of the NFL's top quarterbacks and a former pro personnel director for the Dallas Cowboys expect the status quo in the Vikings' handling of Culpepper.

"It is a difficult dilemma because of the cap implications," said agent Leigh Steinberg, whose quarterback clients include Ben Roethlisberger and Mark Brunell. "But I think what is likely to occur is that the Vikings will rely on the best medical feedback they can get as close to the decision point as they can get it.

"Given how successful he's been in the past, unless that injury is judged to be career ending, it is very hard to find someone of his caliber. Surrendering his services would carry a real risk."

Agent David Dunn said circumstances of Culpepper's injury also must be considered.

"Being injured in the line of duty, in his case, trying to get the ball down the field for the good of the team, presents a tougher issue," said Dunn, who represents quarterbacks such as Drew Bledsoe, Jake Plummer, Carson Palmer and Matt Hasselbeck. "It doesn't mean that tough decisions won't be made. It just makes it tougher than if he were hurt bungee jumping."

Gil Brandt, the longtime director of player personnel for the Dallas Cowboys, said the team must be mindful of perception.

"They don't want to read or hear that Team A took advantage of poor so-and-so and shorted a player out of millions of dollars," Brandt said. "No one wants that kind of public relations problem."

Brandt, Dunn and Steinberg could not recall another instance in which a marquee quarterback suffered an injury that could potentially sideline him into — or beyond — the next season. Before they ended their partnership in 2000, Dunn and Steinberg represented Steve Young, who suffered a fifth concussion during the 1999 season.

"About this time of year, (Young) went down to Arizona and suffered a very bad concussion," Dunn recalled, "and there were question marks really over the next six or seven months until he retired. It's not this type of situation, but it's similar in that the team was struggling with the possibility of him not being back and dealing with that uncertainty."

Brandt says the New York Jets face a similar — albeit even more serious — situation with Chad Pennington. Last month, Pennington reinjured the right shoulder he had surgically repaired about eight months ago, casting doubt on his football future.

Pennington is due an $8.5 million roster bonus in March, and his salary-cap acceleration would be a whopping $12 million. Because Pennington signed an eight-year, $72.8 million contract in 2004 that included an $18 million signing bonus, the Jets might have taken out an insurance policy, as teams often do with lucrative deals, to protect themselves. Culpepper's deal, though, is not as costly as Pennington's, and former Vikings owner Red McCombs likely did not approve paying for an expensive insurance policy.

The Vikings must proceed cautiously. Culpepper likely would feel betrayed if the team asked him to accept a pay cut.

"Very often, when a player is asked to take a cut by the team, they'd rather take less money from another team because of the principle," Steinberg said. "(Players) can get irritated and prideful."

But if the Vikings sought to save salary-cap space, they could ask Culpepper and Ashe to turn his $6 million roster bonus into a signing bonus. That means Culpepper would get all of his money, but he would enable the Vikings to spread the salary-cap hit of his bonus over four seasons, saving them $4.5 million next year.

For most clubs, that would be an automatic request. But the Vikings have managed their salary cap so well they likely will not need the space.

Another option would be to trade Culpepper.

At the current pace, the Vikings are in line for a major offseason overhaul. If the team has a new coach and personnel director in place, they might not be inclined to put their 2006 preseason plans on hold as they wait for Culpepper to get healthy.

Like receiver Randy Moss last offseason, the Vikings could be tempted to pursue or solicit offers.

Several teams likely would be interested in Culpepper, especially since his contract, for a three-time Pro Bowl quarterback, is relatively modest.

"It's difficult to pull off any trade, because it takes two to tango," Dunn said. "You have to get two teams to agree upon the right trade value on both sides. It's exacerbated when you're talking about a superstar."

But trading Culpepper could backfire, as did the Vikings' decision to trade for Herschel Walker. Steinberg said Culpepper is entering his prime, in spite of his obvious struggles this season.

"Someone who has developed as well as Culpepper has, even though he was having difficulty this year, it would be unlikely that he had simply lost his talent all of a sudden," Steinberg said. "I recall a situation a year ago, where our client, Mark Brunell, was universally panned as someone who had lost his talent.

"And yet, with a few simple adjustments in the blocking scheme and him not being injured, he's among the leaders in quarterback rating. Daunte Culpepper is a potential all-pro quarterback, and he's still relatively young. They could have him another 10 years."

Brandt said returning to form after tearing three ligaments is not a given. But he adds the Vikings are gambling on Culpepper.

"There are certain players you know are going to do everything possible to get back," Brandt said. "That's where you have a feel for a person, and I think Culpepper is a quality guy and the kind of guy that would work and get himself back."

no, no and um...yo

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Nors said:
King -

The mass Dallas fanbase bought hook and sinker that Drew was a scrub. Mindwash from some Bill/NY elements past 2 years. Knock no Super Bowl.

Fact is he's got all the tools and is a tremedously gifted passer. No suprise to us what he's doing but it was near unanimous against Drew back in February. I believe we were the only 2 calling for Bledsoe in 2004......

I can see us drafting a QB Day 2 To push Henson on roster. Romo has #2 nailed down.

Culpepper? There is a better chance we see Bledsoe's contract EXTENDED by season's end....

Sorry to bust your bubble but many of us were for Bledsoe with the caveat he get protection. So go puff your chest elsewhere.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
If we go get culpepper,, it will save me some money. I can cancel my ticket cuz i won't be watching the boys again til he is gone. He sucks, and i just couldn't stand to watch that little dance after every 2 yd dump off that someone takes 20. hes pathitic and I hope he goes to jail for his part in the boat thing and all this nonsense about signing him goes away.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
rcaldw said:
Romo has it nailed down right now, not into the future. Jerry Jones says he is treating Henson like a #1 draft pick, has never said anything remotely close to that about golf boy.
Remember that he also injured his shoulder in Camp. The team is not as down on him as some would have you believe. Quite the opposite in fact.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
IMO Daunte misses Scott Linehan a whole lot more than he misses Randy Moss.