News: ST: Teammates ready to rally around Gallup’s tragedy

Sydla

Reaction score
From the article ..

“All of a sudden my drop didn’t matter anymore,” Cole Beasley said. “It puts things in perspective for you. Any time someone is going through some things, we all have each other’s back. Anything he needs any of us will be there at the drop of a dime. He needs to take as much time as he needs and we’ll be here for him.”

Seriously? Cole Beasley uses this unrelated tragic event to minimize a mistake he made? I could understand saying something like, "The win didn't matter as much any more" or "My touchdown catches didn't matter any more" but only a narcissist would use a tragedy like this to try to wash over a mistake he made.

That comment popped out at me right away too. Really a bizarre thing to say, frankly. I almost bet it didn't come out like he had hoped. I think I kind of get what he's trying to say but it comes off wrong in how he phrased it.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He could've phrased it better, but I get his meaning. I don't think he meant to downplay his drop. He was trying say the game isn't that important in the grand scheme of things.
Read my other replies .. I'm not questioning the perspective aspect, but rather that specific use of that unrelated play at a time where most people would either not give a specific comparison or, if they did, they would downplay a positive or accomplishment rather than attempt to use it to mask a mistake.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That comment popped out at me right away too. Really a bizarre thing to say, frankly. I almost bet it didn't come out like he had hoped. I think I kind of get what he's trying to say but it comes off wrong in how he phrased it.
Exactly!

aria

Reaction score
From the article ..

“All of a sudden my drop didn’t matter anymore,” Cole Beasley said. “It puts things in perspective for you. Any time someone is going through some things, we all have each other’s back. Anything he needs any of us will be there at the drop of a dime. He needs to take as much time as he needs and we’ll be here for him.”

Seriously? Cole Beasley uses this unrelated tragic event to minimize a mistake he made? I could understand saying something like, "The win didn't matter as much any more" or "My touchdown catches didn't matter any more" but only a narcissist would use a tragedy like this to try to wash over a mistake he made.
Another reason he’s a tool and should keep his mouth shut. Every time he says something I dislike him more and more.

Horrible to hear about Gallup, losing a brother sucks, I wish him and his family the best under the circumstances.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
From the article ..

I have been tired of Beasley. Time to get younger at the position anyways. Wilson would be a good start plus in the draft

RoboQB

Reaction score
Seems like an over reaction to complain about this. Maybe it would've been
received with less outrage if there were a video of the interview. Sometimes
text doesn't come across as the real live event.

These days it's just too easy to complain about everything.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Cowboys Nation rallies around him as well. Gallup should take all the time he needs to mourn, grieve and be with his family. Because there's things way more important than football.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
And that's perfectly fine and understandable to think to himself, but it's narcissistic to say that to a reporter.
Possibly. Without knowing what he's experiencing, it hard to say that definitively.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
From the article ..

All he's saying is that football didn't matter. He said his "drop didn't matter"....his point was none of this really matters as much as our personal life goes. ITs almost like you stopped reading after it said "Cole Beasley said.".

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All he's saying is that football didn't matter. He said his "drop didn't matter"....his point was none of this really matters as much as our personal life goes. ITs almost like you stopped reading after it said "Cole Beasley said.".
I read the entire article but that sentence stood out heavily because most people would never try to use a tragic event to mask over a mistake.

links18

Reaction score

Bease has some issues himself.

Iago33

Reaction score
I read the entire article but that sentence stood out heavily because most people would never try to use a tragic event to mask over a mistake.
I think Beasley was really bothered by the drop and worrying about it. When he heard about Michael's brother, he realized there are much bigger things to worry about. I don't think there's a need to nitpick a comment lime that.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
From the article ..

That's one way to look at it.
Or, he's simply stating that a drop means absolutely nothing at a time like this. It has nothing to do with Beasley and everything to do with Gallup.
They're not supposed to be related to or compared to each other.

Example: I lost a couple people close to me and it makes you think how you're little life problems mean in the grand scheme of things.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
And neither is Beasley. That's your assumption.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And neither is Beasley. That's your assumption.
Not an assumption when he uses it as an example. I could see him saying, "Winning the game doesn't matter compared to it" or "my first down catch at the end didn't matter", but to use that opportunity to downplay a mistake you made when there's no reason to do so is self-serving, not sympathetic.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
From the article ..

Eh you just not picking on some I wouldn't have said it this way stuff. He meant the same thing as you're implying. I see you as not too different than what you think of him in this situation.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Not an assumption when he uses it as an example. I could see him saying, "Winning the game doesn't matter compared to it" or "my first down catch at the end didn't matter", but to use that opportunity to downplay a mistake you made when there's no reason to do so is self-serving, not sympathetic.
It's the same thing. You're making it out to be about Beasley. Suggesting he's using it as an opportunity is ridiculous to assume, you have no idea what he feels. Just what you think he is. There's no relation to a mistake he made and this tragedy. And if he said a 1st down doesn't matter, it changes nothing.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
From the article ..

I hope his statement was a direct response to a reporter's question what the drop means to him and the game.