News: ST: Teammates ready to rally around Gallup’s tragedy

Sydla

Reaction score

And the other problem is that it's Beasley saying it and he has a propensity to open his mouth and say silly stuff especially if it involves trying to defend himself or take blame off himself.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope his statement was a direct response to a reporter's question what the drop means to him and the game.
Now if that was the case, it would definitely be different and understandable. Hopefully, that's what it was.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm not questioning the "putting it in perspective" mindset .. I'm simply saying that in this case, most people only downplay the insignificance of accomplishments in that situation, not failures unless the failures were directly related to the tragedy. Of course something like that is way more important than any aspect of football, but seriously, who brings up a specific yet unrelated play like that?

I think we all use our experiences or what's on our mind as a point of reference. If I had a bad day at the office and then learned that a friend's brother had committed suicide, it would probably make me think that my bad day at the office wasn't so bad in comparison, what happened to me wasn't a big deal compared to that.

He easily could have gone the other way and said, "All of a sudden, this victory didn't matter anymore," but clearly this shows that his drop was on his mind. I don't think he was trying to excuse it.

It comes off a little like Romo's remark a few years ago after a loss that inflamed the fan base. Back then, Romo was only saying basically the same thing that winning or losing a game is irrelevant in the big picture, but some took it as him not caring whether the team won or lost.

cern

Reaction score
From the article ..

“All of a sudden my drop didn’t matter anymore,” Cole Beasley said. “It puts things in perspective for you. Any time someone is going through some things, we all have each other’s back. Anything he needs any of us will be there at the drop of a dime. He needs to take as much time as he needs and we’ll be here for him.”

Seriously? Cole Beasley uses this unrelated tragic event to minimize a mistake he made? I could understand saying something like, "The win didn't matter as much any more" or "My touchdown catches didn't matter any more" but only a narcissist would use a tragedy like this to try to wash over a mistake he made.
perhaps Beasley meant he felt horrible about his drop, then a tragedy like gallup's occurs and puts life in perspective. just Beasley's way of saying just how insignificant the dropped pass was compared to losing a loved one. narcissistic? I think not. do you really believe there was anything malevolent in what Beasley said? self aggrandizing? I think not.

Reactions: G2

gmb1

Reaction score
He can't possibly play this game Thursday? If he does, wow.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From the article ..

“All of a sudden my drop didn’t matter anymore,” Cole Beasley said. “It puts things in perspective for you. Any time someone is going through some things, we all have each other’s back. Anything he needs any of us will be there at the drop of a dime. He needs to take as much time as he needs and we’ll be here for him.”

Seriously? Cole Beasley uses this unrelated tragic event to minimize a mistake he made? I could understand saying something like, "The win didn't matter as much any more" or "My touchdown catches didn't matter any more" but only a narcissist would use a tragedy like this to try to wash over a mistake he made.
I don't know the extent of your playing background, but I've been in situations where I or one of my players made a mistake to cause or almost cause a loss. If you work your butt off and feel you let down your team, it is a bad feeling. I'm sure that was his intent and not trying to wash away a mistake.
I had a player in one of my sub varsity programs that dropped two fly balls and caused our JV team to loose. My coach stayed with him after the game and tried to console him until he was picked up by a parent. He committed suicide that night. 15 years old. What a tragedy. My coach was never the same, he quit the following year and hasn't coached since.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My brother passed last month, his birthday is this month. It does put things into perspective. I am 54, and he would have been 65; being together that long does tug at the heart strings. He'd bash my Cowboys every time we'd talk, oh great times.

roughneck266

Reaction score
I take that as him saying he was bothered by his drop, but in the big picture its nothing compared to what Gallup is dealing with.
That would be because you aren't searching for something to complain about. I am certain the drop bothered Beas, he is a professional, and it isn't like he makes a habit out of it for cryin out loud.