News: ST: Tyron Smith has found a comfort level at LT, his second season playing the position

NewsBot

Reaction score
Tyron Smith quietly is having his best season. He credits a few things for that, including the addition of veteran guard Brian Waters.

"It's experience and getting help where I can and having Brian Waters here and he helps us have the right mindset going into every game and lets us know some of the things we can look out for every game," Smith said.

"He’s playing good," Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo said. "Obviously I’m not studying him every day like the offensive line coach and stuff, but he’s doing a good job, and he’s having a good season, and he’s coming along. He’s developed quite a bit since he’s gotten here, and it’s exciting to see."

"I feel more comfortable being at left tackle now," Smith said. "It’s kind of second nature now. Just kind of focus on what I have to do on the field instead of working on my technique."

-- Charean Williams

Continue reading...

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm pretty happy thus far with Smith and the OL. Anyone expecting to give up 0 sacks is kidding themselves. Even a great OL like the 90's saw Troy getting sacked 39, 32, 23 and 26 times during the SB runs and Troy was never asked to put the ball up as much as Romo does. I would like to see improvement in run blocking and I think it is getting there.

Reaction score
Still just a kid. He will only get better as he gains experience. He won't reach his prime for another 5-7 years. Barring injury, he's got a long, successful career ahead of him.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm pretty happy thus far with Smith and the OL. Anyone expecting to give up 0 sacks is kidding themselves. Even a great OL like the 90's saw Troy getting sacked 39, 32, 23 and 26 times during the SB runs and Troy was never asked to put the ball up as much as Romo does. I would like to see improvement in run blocking and I think it is getting there.
Excellent point.

Pabst

Reaction score
The OL play has been one of the bright spots this season, which is great to hear considering last year. I still think there is some concern moving forward with the OG spots, but the team has more pressing matters on the DL.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is such a pleasure to not have to worry about the LOT for many many years to come. Thank you Jerry!

RS12

Reaction score
Never had a doubt about this pick, and no offense to the Frederick fans, but this is their best O lineman.

sideon

Reaction score
The OL play has been one of the bright spots this season, which is great to hear considering last year. I still think there is some concern moving forward with the OG spots, but the team has more pressing matters on the DL.

They'll address OG & DL in the draft next year.

Manster68

Reaction score
I am hoping that Tyron Smith continues his high caliber of play. I do not want to leave out the other linemen as well. Doug Free is quietly having a great season as well. The addition of Brian Waters has done wonders for the offensive line. I think Leary is playing well also, but I do think he may be the weakest link. Travis Frederick will clearly make the first team All-Rookie Team and possibly a Pro Bowl.

honyock

Reaction score
This is good to hear. I'd love to see Waters back for another year next year. It sounds like he's been not just a talent upgrade, but he's had a positive influence on the entire line. I hope those three youngsters to his left are soaking it all up.

jaybird

Reaction score
Anyone remember just a few months ago how everyone wanted Tyron to move back to RT and draft a LT lol?
I remember how jacked up this forum was when TS got off to a slow training camp. Ware kept winning battles etc. Parcells use to crtize "instant evaluators" . I love the Zone, but jeez loweez.

Fredd

Reaction score
This guy is flat-out good.....he is turning the blind side into a no-man's land for opposing defenses...look at what Ty did against Washington...I think they are changing the name on the jersey to orakapoo after Ty dumped all over the LB

The Natural

Reaction score
Tyron is one of the guys I really root for. The media doesn't glamorize some of the things he's gone through in his personal life like they do skilled position players, but I'm glad to see him put that stuff aside and play some elite football for this team

sideon

Reaction score
I am hoping that Tyron Smith continues his high caliber of play. I do not want to leave out the other linemen as well. Doug Free is quietly having a great season as well. The addition of Brian Waters has done wonders for the offensive line. I think Leary is playing well also, but I do think he may be the weakest link. Travis Frederick will clearly make the first team All-Rookie Team and possibly a Pro Bowl.

Leary is definitely the weakest part of the O-Line but like every line good T/C play can always help mask shortcomings. It's great to see Free look like his old self and Waters experience will pay off in the long run. I know there are people that want 5 pro bowlers on the line but the reality is you need 2 great players(LT & C) 2 above average and 1 average player.

hutch1254

Reaction score
I like whatever mindset lessons and tips/tricks Smith can get from Waters. I think that is going to go a long way. Waters knows his business. I'd have a mental novel written if I were Smith, listening to Waters each day. Should turn into really good things for this kid.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Tyron Smith quietly is having his best season. He credits a few things for that, including the addition of veteran guard Brian Waters.

"It's experience and getting help where I can and having Brian Waters here and he helps us have the right mindset going into every game and lets us know some of the things we can look out for every game," Smith said.

"He’s playing good," Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo said. "Obviously I’m not studying him every day like the offensive line coach and stuff, but he’s doing a good job, and he’s having a good season, and he’s coming along. He’s developed quite a bit since he’s gotten here, and it’s exciting to see."

"I feel more comfortable being at left tackle now," Smith said. "It’s kind of second nature now. Just kind of focus on what I have to do on the field instead of working on my technique."

-- Charean Williams

Continue reading...
NEEDS TO MAKE SURE ROMO IS COMFORTABLE.