Stafford another good example

Diehardblues

Reaction score
After spending 12 years in a dormant franchise he’s finally provided an opportunity with a better team and coaching staff. What a difference it makes. And he made the most of it.

It reminds what Jim Plunkett, Steve Young and Doug Williams did going to a better team and winning a championship.

Too many times good QB’s aren’t afforded being on better teams. The personal numbers over the years supported Stafford was better than the teams he was on and this confirms it.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Always interesting to hear how many teams feel they are just a qb away….the lions had a Super Bowl qb for a decade and never came close.

2008 Vikings, 2019 Buccaneers, 2007 Cardinals, 1998 Rams, 2011 Broncos, and I speculate the 2021 Saints.

It’s amazing that a team can be so well constructed and be missing that one, most important piece. But it seems to happen fairly often. Imagine if the 2000 ravens had a better QB, or the 2021 49ers

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Romo had the talent to win titles. This franchise held him back for sure.

Romo played for some talented teams. The Cowboys weren’t the dreadful teams that Stafford, Plunkett, Doug Williams and Young started with. The 2007 Cowboys were an excellent team until Romo's game started coming apart in Dec. The 2009 Cowboys were very good and they were a hot team entering the playoffs. The 2014 team was excellent. Not putting it all on Romo that we didn’t get it done those years just pointing out that he was part of some very good teams that had more than enough talent to win a championship. Those who are acting like he was never part of any good teams are being ridiculous. The main problem with the good teams he had was the coaching and the lack of discipline.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Stafford might be making the late-career leap to being elite. He now has the championship reason, the clutch performances, and the stats

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Neither team played their A game.....someone had to win. Could have easily gone the other way around. Not particularly a SB to remember. Stafford and Burrow were average at best, but he made the big play at the end. Burrow didn't.

I think the play of others, created the fact both QB struggled. It is the reason Mahomes struggled and Rodgers struggled. Having pressure coming down on you is a difference maker, guys in the secondary making plays is a difference maker. It is not a case where the QB had a rough day, they were giving a rough day by the play of others.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Stafford might be making the late-career leap to being elite. He now has the championship reason, the clutch performances, and the stats

He throws too many INT’s to be an elite QB. He had 2 INT’s in the Super Bowl. He puts up elite numbers but he’s too mistake prone. He’s blessed with a really good team around him with a number of playmakers. He had three straight games this season with a pick-six. He had a couple of dreadful games this season that were worse than any Dak had. His numbers in the Super Bowl were far from eye-popping.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stafford was the beneficiary of an owner that decided to go for broke for a home win in the SB and allowed his GM to keep adding players after the season started.

They didn't stop after trading for Stafford and a lot of teams would have.

The difference between the Rams GM and Booger is Booger congratulates himself of a good job and the Rams GM was not satisfied.

Proof

Reaction score
2008 Vikings, 2019 Buccaneers, 2007 Cardinals, 1998 Rams, 2011 Broncos, and I speculate the 2021 Saints.

It’s amazing that a team can be so well constructed and be missing that one, most important piece. But it seems to happen fairly often. Imagine if the 2000 ravens had a better QB, or the 2021 49ers

it’s almost as if it’s difficult to be stacked everywhere lol.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I always thought coaching was huge but now I KNOW it’s huge. The two guys last night had low penalty teams, ran to the their teams strengths and were disciplined where in the end they had their timeouts etc. There was no chaos. It saddens me we wasted so much on guys “in training” like Garrett. It’s just a failure for the franchise.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
I always thought coaching was huge but now I KNOW it’s huge. The two guys last night had low penalty teams, ran to the their teams strengths and were disciplined where in the end they had their timeouts etc. There was no chaos. It saddens me we wasted so much on guys “in training” like Garrett. It’s just a failure for the franchise.

Both teams had solid defenses and were the lowest penalized teams in the league. They don’t beat themselves and are very disciplined. That’s 100% coaching. Neither QB played lights out, but Stafford made it count when it mattered. Bengals just couldn’t put it away and that 4th down pass was a horrible play call.

pancakeman

Reaction score
He throws too many INT’s to be an elite QB. He had 2 INT’s in the Super Bowl. He puts up elite numbers but he’s too mistake prone. He’s blessed with a really good team around him with a number of playmakers. He had three straight games this season with a pick-six. He had a couple of dreadful games this season that were worse than any Dak had. His numbers in the Super Bowl were far from eye-popping.
I'm surprised the announcers didn't make a bigger deal out of it, but to my eyes the second interception looked like a carbon copy of the first. Throwing two terrible passes, okay it happens, but to throw the same terrible pass twice, what are we doing here?!

willia451

Reaction score
Romo played for some talented teams. The Cowboys weren’t the dreadful teams that Stafford, Plunkett, Doug Williams and Young started with. The 2007 Cowboys were an excellent team until Romo's game started coming apart in Dec. The 2009 Cowboys were very good and they were a hot team entering the playoffs. The 2014 team was excellent. Not putting it all on Romo that we didn’t get it done those years just pointing out that he was part of some very good teams that had more than enough talent to win a championship. Those who are acting like he was never part of any good teams are being ridiculous. The main problem with the good teams he had was the coaching and the lack of discipline.

In 2007 the Giants defense just wasn't going to be denied. And in the SB they pounded Tom Brady into whimpering submission to ruin the NE perfect season. Nobody saw that coming in the regular season. But it happened nonetheless.

In 2009 the Cowboys OL was hot garbage. We saw that in the Vikings playoff game in the 4th quarter. Romo was so beaten and broken after the game he passed out in the showers. It shocked the franchise to its core and that's when they started spending first round picks to build a real OL.

2014 was their best chance. But the defense was suspect, the team was still making dumb mistakes at critical times, and the window was closing on Romo and what was left of his body. He no longer was "mobile" in any legit capacity.

So I question whether those teams had enough talent to win a championship.

Seems to me. Other teams just always had more. Kind of like today.

Cboyfan4ever

Reaction score
Stafford did everything he could to throw the game away yesterday (albeit he did make some good throws). It's been a long time since the team that lost the turnover battle won that game.
1st pick was 3rd and 14 and not a bad idea to throw to the endzone and hope for the best.2nd pick should of been caught and bounced off wr’s hands.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Romo is my favorite player - but I would have loved to have seen him go to Denver or somewhere and win a SB. He wasn't going to win it here with WR Roy Willams and Leonard Davis.