Stanback reminds me of Anquan Boldin...

hendog

Reaction score
a quicker version of A. Boldin. Just watching him in those videos thats who he remind me of but he seems to have more quickness.

Wimbo

Reaction score
He reminds me of Michael Vick. But, he throws a better ball, and has good character.

carphalen5150

Reaction score
Not sure who he reminds me of, but watching some highlights of him in the open field was very interesting. Very stong guy and I am getting more and more OK with this pick.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The more I read about him the more excited I get too.

Receivers can be developed. Pass rushers can't. If Antwan Randal-El can turn out to be a good pick as a slash type so can Stanback, who is taller, faster and just as elusive. Plus, he has a background as a receiver.

As much as I wanted a sexy pick, I'm glad the Cowboys nabbed Anthony Spencer. I think he's going to be like Dwight Freeney and already have pegged him as Defensive Rookie of the Year.

The season can't start soon enough.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Easy to see how he became Jerry's pet cat.

We'll have a chance to see how creative Jason Garrett is (once the foot heals).

lostinomiya

Reaction score
i dont get why you are excited...we have drafted a guy to play receiver who isnt a receiver, he isnt a kick returner, he is just an average qb who happens to be a good athlete....i will defer to those who know better but i dont get it

BlueStar II

Reaction score
Stanback does have some intrigue to him, and I just hope it can translate to the filed. Anyon know how far along his foot is at this point???

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
lostinomiya;1481150 said:
i dont get why you are excited...we have drafted a guy to play receiver who isnt a receiver, he isnt a kick returner, he is just an average qb who happens to be a good athlete....i will defer to those who know better but i dont get it

Well, I must say that I have to agree. I really don't like the pick at all. I guess I just don't understand the direction here. To be honest, I didn't see anybody drafting Stanbeck before the 6th Rd, if at all. He's not fast for a WR. He doesn't have great hands. He doesn't run great routes. He doesn't return kicks. He's a terrible QB from the stand point of mechanics. He doesn't make great decisions with the ball and he doesn't read defenses all that well. Clearly, the Cowboys know something we don't.

Paul Soliai is on the board at a need position at good value in the 4th and we take Stanback? OK.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
ABQCOWBOY;1481183 said:
Well, I must say that I have to agree. I really don't like the pick at all. I guess I just don't understand the direction here. To be honest, I didn't see anybody drafting Stanbeck before the 6th Rd, if at all. He's not fast for a WR. He doesn't have great hands. He doesn't run great routes. He doesn't return kicks. He's a terrible QB from the stand point of mechanics. He doesn't make great decisions with the ball and he doesn't read defenses all that well. Clearly, the Cowboys know something we don't.

Paul Soliai is on the board at a need position at good value in the 4th and we take Stanback? OK.

I agree...I was left scratching my head with that pick. But from what I've read...I would surely leave out the part about him not being fast. In fact, I'd be willing to guess (if fully healthy) he would have been probably Top 3 as far as speed in this years draft.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
An electronically timed 10.48 100 meter and 6.80 60 meter is not fast for a WR? That puts him just a shade below Devin Hester who ran a 10.42 (wind aided) at University of Miami. Reggie Bush ran a 10.42 in the California State Track Championships. Ted Ginn clocked 10.50 at his High School State Championship.

I questions about taking someone with lis franc surgery, which is very dangerous, and putting a position change on top of that. But there is no question the guy is an an elite athlete.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1481200 said:
An electronically timed 10.48 100 meter and 6.80 60 meter is not fast for a WR? That puts him just a shade below Devin Hester who ran a 10.42 (wind aided) at University of Miami. Reggie Bush ran a 10.42 in the California State Track Championships.

I questions about taking someone with lis franc surgery, which is very dangerous, and to put a position move on top of that. but there is no question the guy is an an elite athlete.

His posted time was only like 4.6 range. I grant you, that 40 is not everything but I'd have to see his 10 and 20 splits as well as his short shuttle. This guy does not have great hands so unless he's going to beat you from the get go, he'll be forced to catch some balls in traffic and with defenders in close proximaty. I mean, maybe he's got what it takes but I'll be very honest here. I don't ever see him as a good QB prospect. To me, he is going to have to be a WR or a returner. I guess we will see.

BTW, I agree with you 100% in the injury issue.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1481200 said:
An electronically timed 10.48 100 meter and 6.80 60 meter is not fast for a WR? That puts him just a shade below Devin Hester who ran a 10.42 (wind aided) at University of Miami. Reggie Bush ran a 10.42 in the California State Track Championships.

I questions about taking someone with lis franc surgery, which is very dangerous, and to put a position move on top of that. but there is no question the guy is an an elite athlete.

From what I've read he is already running sprints and his doctor expects him to be completely ready in 2 months. It seems like the success of former QBs guys like Robinson and Brad Smith is opening the eyes of a lot of teams and teams are looking for this kind of player. This guy has a lot more speed and athleticism than those guys and he's played the WR position before.

PFW said in it's draft report that Stanbeck has as much or more athleticism as any player in the league right now. That's a pretty big compliment.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1481220 said:
His posted time was only like 4.6 range.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that draft sites are just completely making up these forty times for lesser known prospects.

Stanback said in his interivew with KTCK that he wasn't able to run for teams because of the surgery rehab. He said he doesn't know where these 4.55 came from, and that he's a 4.3-4.4 guy. I have a really, really, really hard time believing a guy who runs a 6.8 electronically timed 60 meter dash at an NCAA Regional meet only runs a 4.6 forty yard dash.

Also, Nick Folk has an official 40 time listed for him on several sites, and he said that not only did he not run at the Combine but he hasn't ran a timed 40 in over three years.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;1481229 said:
From what I've read he is already running sprints and his doctor expects him to be completely ready in 2 months. It seems like the success of former QBs guys like Robinson and Brad Smith is opening the eyes of a lot of teams and teams are looking for this kind of player. This guy has a lot more speed and athleticism than those guys and he's played the WR position before.

There have been some success stories of QB's converting to WR (and many more failure stories), but I don't know if I would include Brad Smith and Michael Robinson in that group just yet. Neither one of them crossed the 10 reception marker last year. I doubt they're initiating a trend around the league.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
ABQ your time is wrong, this guy is extremely fast, the reason the Cowboys wanted him so bad.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1481241 said:
I'm becoming more and more convinced that draft sites are just completely making up these forty times for lesser known prospects.

Stanback said in his interivew with KTCK that he wasn't able to run for teams because of the surgery rehab. He said he doesn't know where these 4.55 came from, and that he's a 4.3-4.4 guy. I have a really, really, really hard time believing a guy who runs a 6.8 electronically timed 60 meter dash at an NCAA Regional meet only runs a 4.6 forty yard dash.

Also, Nick Folk has an official 40 time listed for him on several sites, and he said that not only did he not run at the Combine but he hasn't ran a timed 40 in over three years.

Your reasoning here makes sense to me. I can agree that the 60 time doesn't sound like a guy who can only time at 4.6 range in a 40. I don't know that I'm ever going to like picking this guy over a value/need like Salioi but it's done. Might as well get on board with it and see where it takes us. Be interesting to see how this player develops.