Stanback reminds me of Anquan Boldin...

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1481255 said:
Your reasoning here makes sense to me. I can agree that the 60 time doesn't sound like a guy who can only time at 4.6 range in a 40. I don't know that I'm ever going to like picking this guy over a value/need like Salioi but it's done. Might as well get on board with it and see where it takes us. Be interesting to see how this player develops.

I agree. He's the epitome of the boom/bust pick.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
speedkilz88;1481253 said:
ABQ your time is wrong, this guy is extremely fast, the reason the Cowboys wanted him so bad.

It's not my time. These are times posted on various different sites. NFL.com has him posted at 4.58, which is not fast for a RB or WR IMO.

sago1

Reaction score
I didn't like this pick when we took him cause there were so many players still on the board that we could really use at variety of positions of need. I think Jerry was playing cute and trying to get a new toy instead of a valuable new player. I mean how many chances do we have to get the 4th pick in the 4th round for pete's sake.

But we have to leave with him cause we now got him. Anyway, I've read same thing that he's already running sprints, etc. so he probably fully on schedule and maybe even ahead. He's extremely athletic and runs track, drafted by baseball team even tho he hasn't played baseball in college, etc. His first year in school he was a WR but converted to QB cause he was needed there. We might be able turn him into a good WR & maybe Garrett's offense can use such a player. But I wanted Soliai, Robison, DeOzzie and lot of other players still there including OT Doug Free who we took later in 4th round. Stanbach better be able contribute this year in some way cause you know he makes this team.

The Realist

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1481241 said:
I'm becoming more and more convinced that draft sites are just completely making up these forty times for lesser known prospects.

Stanback said in his interivew with KTCK that he wasn't able to run for teams because of the surgery rehab. He said he doesn't know where these 4.55 came from, and that he's a 4.3-4.4 guy. I have a really, really, really hard time believing a guy who runs a 6.8 electronically timed 60 meter dash at an NCAA Regional meet only runs a 4.6 forty yard dash.

Also, Nick Folk has an official 40 time listed for him on several sites, and he said that not only did he not run at the Combine but he hasn't ran a timed 40 in over three years.

Bingo....I heard both of those interviews.

A lot of times if draft sites don't have a legit combine/pro day time they throw up their best guess.

The conversion worked with Crayton and he doesn't have the same size or athleticism as Stanback. Level of competion is no comparison.

This is a cheap Matt Jones experiment.

aikemirv

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1481259 said:
I agree. He's the epitome of the boom/bust pick.

He may be a boom or bust player but at least we did not take him in the first round like Jax did with Matt Jones. He was the same type of player, great athlete, speed burner and former QB.

He is a project at WR no doubt, but I have no problem with using a 4th on someone like that. I know you don't either, just making a comparison.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
This guy is twice the prospect with twice the college success and big time experience than Crayton had, and he's our #3 receiver. End of year, Crayton walks, most likely, and I think Stanback will be an upgrade by that point.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1481255 said:
Your reasoning here makes sense to me. I can agree that the 60 time doesn't sound like a guy who can only time at 4.6 range in a 40. I don't know that I'm ever going to like picking this guy over a value/need like Salioi but it's done. Might as well get on board with it and see where it takes us. Be interesting to see how this player develops.

Well, I for one think your original concerns were perfectly legitimate. We drafted a guy who is an average quarterback, who is inexperienced in both his projected roles as QB and K/PR, and who has a history of injury. He's obviously an elite athlete and a high-character individual but does that coupled with speed justify a 4th round pick? We shall see.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1481262 said:
It's not my time. These are times posted on various different sites. NFL.com has him posted at 4.58, which is not fast for a RB or WR IMO.
Hey, when you post it as legit, no matter where you got it from its your time; and its still wrong.:D

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY;1481255 said:

Morning ABQ...

I had the same reservations you did... "WHY ARE THEY DRAFTING A PROJECT WITH 4.55 SPEED IN THE 4TH ROUND?"

However after listening to his interview and finding out that he has been recovering from an injury and his real speed is sub 4.40... I must say I'm much more comfortable with the pick. At this juncture he appears to be a larger, faster Crayton.

rysko

Reaction score
wait where did we see he has bad hands? link me to this or something because i've read so much about him and haven't seen that anywhere?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
speedkilz88;1481281 said:
Hey, when you post it as legit, no matter where you got it from its your time; and its still wrong.:D

OK well, when you actually have a confirmed time on him, then we can call it wrong. At this point, we don't know if it's right or wrong. All we know for sure is that he's injured and can't run a timed 40. That, to me, is a real downer when you have Salioi starring you right in the face.

Doesn't matter. He's a Cowboy now. I guess it's water under the bridge.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1481290 said:
Morning ABQ...

I had the same reservations you did... "WHY ARE THEY DRAFTING A PROJECT WITH 4.55 SPEED IN THE 4TH ROUND?"

However after listening to his interview and finding out that he has been recovering from an injury and his real speed is sub 4.40... I must say I'm much more comfortable with the pick. At this juncture he appears to be a larger, faster Crayton.

Morning Mike. How's Canada today?

I've pretty much managed to deal with it and have come out off the ledge in the light of Monday morning. Tell ya what thou, it was touch and go Saturday afternoon.

:laugh2:

links18

Reaction score
wayne motley;1481268 said:
This guy is twice the prospect with twice the college success and big time experience than Crayton had, and he's our #3 receiver. End of year, Crayton walks, most likely, and I think Stanback will be an upgrade by that point.

So Crayton walks after this year? Most people think TO and Glenn are both done after this year. That leaves us with who exactly at WR in 2008?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1481241 said:
I'm becoming more and more convinced that draft sites are just completely making up these forty times for lesser known prospects.
There isn't any doubt about it... And sometimes they're made up on the plus side for the bigger-name guys.

And ABQ, there is no thought at all of Stanback being a QB. We had the guy in for a workout in the last couple of weeks and told him then he'd be a WR, and he's good with it. If you heard his interview on the Ticket, you heard that he has a great attitude and will play any position we want, but WR it will be.

Even in college, he returned kickoffs when the team needed him to. Like Larry Brown (who is excellent, BTW) said, who ever heard of a QB that returns kickoffs?

Like others said on the speed, the guy ran a 10.48... Jacques Reeves won the Big Ten 100m and his best is 10.40. The guy was pretty good at the 60m, and you don't even see 6-3 guys in the 60.

But forgetting all that, you could see in the film ESPN showed that he has very good speed for how big he is. He was running through UCLA and others' secondaries like a walk in the park.

Combine all that with a GREAT attitude and intelligence and I am rooting for this guy in the biggest way. If Patrick Crayton can succeed at WR after converting from QB from Northwestern Oklahoma State, I don't see why this guy, who is bigger, much faster, has a great work ethic, and excelled against far superior athletes, wouldn't as well.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
links18;1481325 said:
So Crayton walks after this year? Most people think TO and Glenn are both done after this year. That leaves us with who exactly at WR in 2008?

Define "most" please?

Neither's contract concludes at the end of '07... It either or both leave it will be strictly due to the Cowboy's deciding it. My own opinion (and "no" I am not "most") is that at least one of the two will be playing here in '08.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Soliai had character concerns, as well. He did something bad enough the night before to get suspended from playing in his final college bowl game -- how stupid and selfish is that -- and that wasn't the only incident he ever had in college.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ABQCOWBOY;1481309 said:
Morning Mike. How's Canada today?

I've pretty much managed to deal with it and have come out off the ledge in the light of Monday morning. Tell ya what thou, it was touch and go Saturday afternoon.

:laugh2:

I know how you feel ABQ.

I was feeling the same about the NT from Utah until I heard the press conference after the draft. It appears that Wade will be keeping 7 d-lineman at the most and with roster spots already (securely) filled with:

Canty
Ferguson
Spears
Ratliff
Hatcher

That leaves two spots remaining-- that's not a lot of roster space. While I dread Ferguson being lost for the season due to an injury I though Ratliff did well spotting him a few downs a game.

I can live with the decision. :) The kid from Utah didn't exactly knock my socks off anyway-- he seemed a bit "too big" if you know what I mean.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Chocolate Lab;1481364 said:
Soliai had character concerns, as well. He did something bad enough the night before to get suspended from playing in his final college bowl game -- how stupid and selfish is that -- and that wasn't the only incident he ever had in college.

I had forgotten about that...

I don't have a problem passing on the guy.