Stanford for Goff

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Don't think the Rams got fleeced at all.

They acknowledged a mistake that they made and had to send picks to a sucker to take that Goff contract.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Goff (and his high salary) plus the equivalent of this year's 23rd overall pick (or so) in draft capital for a Matthew Stafford--elite arm talent but also 32 years old--at a cheaper rate .....
guess we'll see how it works out for both teams.

RS12

Reaction score
Goff has 38 turnovers in the last two seasons. The Rams were fortune to get out from under the albatross contract and upgrade in one fell swoop. Their draft department will need to be really good for a while.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Agreed. One of the dumbest trades i've ever seen that didn't involve Jerry Jones.
I like both QBs... but have to agree.
McVay must have been really high, because I just didnt see the difference really, when you look at at it.

McVay may be the smartest man in the room though,, its a 50/50 bet if your in Vegas.

If McVay hits, he becomes the next BB Genius in this league.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I like both QBs... but have to agree.
McVay must have been really high, because I just didnt see the difference really, when you look at at it.

McVay may be the smartest man in the room though,, its a 50/50 bet if your in Vegas.

If McVay hits, he becomes the next BB Genius in this league.
Honest question here......
You can watch Matt Stafford and Jarod Goff and not see a difference?

cowboyec

Reaction score
mcvay got bored because of all these covid restrictions.
when you get bored you start tinkering with stuff til eventually you break it.
he wasted 5 draft picks on goff...2 to get him....3 to get rid of him.
and all he got back was a 33yr old vet QB with back problems.
if it was all about goff's $....then just re-work the damn thing.
but my gosh....keep this man away from the phones or you won't have any draft picks til 2051.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The difference is Stafford has a veteran presence that has been obvious for some time now, just IMO in a bad situation in Detroit.
Stafford IMO is the better savy vet, that has been kept in a dungeon in Detroit.
He may have been Brady like if put in the same situation.. some will laugh at that analogy, but a mind is a mind, and I have always seen similar mental characteristics.
Goff is talented, I dismiss those that think QBs like Goff and Wentz are trash, neither are, and I know you didnt include Wentz in this comparison, but I did just because they share similar characteristics talent wise and chronologically.
All Im saying is that McVay gave up the house for Stafford and he better be right.

cowboyec

Reaction score
detroit has no excuses now.
better,younger qb and a crap load of draft picks.
if they are ever gonna turn the corner....its now.

Reaction score
Stafford is clearly better.

It will be interesting how it works though. McVey is a run first, play action guy. Stafford has never been that. He's worked out of the shotgun his entire career.

I'm sure they will figure it out. But at first blush, their styles clash.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Stafford is clearly better.

It will be interesting how it works though. McVey is a fun first, play action guy. Stafford has never been that. He's worked out of the shotgun his entire career.

I'm sure they will figure it out. But at first blush, their styles clash.
A cannon arm guy like Stafford could benefit from more play action.
But he's evolved so much over time and so smart (OCs call him a computer) that he can adjust to whatever...imo
My worry for him is longer term health
NFL Iron Man no more.

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
detroit has no excuses now.
better,younger qb and a crap load of draft picks.
if they are ever gonna turn the corner....its now.
True, and how could any FO ever turn their back on that offer.
It was an offer you couldnt refuse.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The difference is Stafford has a veteran presence that has been obvious for some time now, just IMO in a bad situation in Detroit.
Stafford IMO is the better savy vet, that has been kept in a dungeon in Detroit.
He may have been Brady like if put in the same situation.. some will laugh at that analogy, but a mind is a mind, and I have always seen similar mental characteristics.
Goff is talented, I dismiss those that think QBs like Goff and Wentz are trash, neither are, and I know you didnt include Wentz in this comparison, but I did just because they share similar characteristics talent wise and chronologically.
All Im saying is that McVay gave up the house for Stafford and he better be right.
fair enough

btw, the Rams gave up a lot, but its not as much as some think.
Because the two ones are in 2022 and 2033......Added all up (with the 2021 3rd rounder) and it amounts to a single later 1st round pick in draft trade capital.
In other words, all of those teams that offered 1st rounders this year were offering the same value....and sometimes even more in Carolina's case.
The difference was that Detroit's deal included Goff too.

People say the Rams were nuts, but what that's say about all the others that offered as much or more....