Stars and Second Guesses: Inside the Dallas Draft Room

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Since when did Lynch become the second coming of Troy Aikman that we missed out on?

Against a pathetic 6-6 Auburn team that was barely even bowl eligible, the mighty Lynch went 16/37 for 106 yards and a pick.

Dude screams franchise QB to me:rolleyes:

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
I thought I read the trade was their #2 and next year's #1. I would pass on that, but if it was the 2 and 3 they should have done it. I like Prescott, but Lynch is a better prospect by far.

It came out that we offered a 2cnd and fourth to lower round teams like Seattle but a 2cnd and 3rd to the Jets and higher teams.

We lost out on the Lynch over a 3rd rounder when all we wanted to give them was the fourth!

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
It came out that we offered a 2cnd and fourth to lower round teams like Seattle but a 2cnd and 3rd to the Jets and higher teams.

We lost out on the Lynch over a 3rd rounder when all we wanted to give them was the fourth!

I said this earlier, but this makes no sense. Why would they be willing to give up the 2nd and the 3rd to take Lynch at 20 but not at 26? They would be giving up the exact amount for the same player at either spot.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
I said this earlier, but this makes no sense. Why would they be willing to give up the 2nd and the 3rd to take Lynch at 20 but not at 26? They would be giving up the exact amount for the same player at either spot.

I agree, I suppose they assumed the worth of the pick at 26 should warrant less compensation.

rd26

Reaction score
I would say 12th on a QB biased board is more in the Tannehill / Cousins / Sanchez range of expectations than a slam dunk franchise QB.

It's more of a Cutler vs N. Bowman choice IMO.

Personally I'll take Smith and Dak and try again next year.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would say 12th on a QB biased board is more in the Tannehill / Cousins / Sanchez range of expectations than a slam dunk franchise QB.

It's more of a Cutler vs N. Bowman choice IMO.

Personally I'll take Smith and Dak and try again next year.

So the Cowboys were trying to move back into the first round for what they believed was Ryan Tannehill/Kirk Cousins/Mark Sanchez?

Or are you just trying to paint a picture that makes it more palatable for you as a fan?

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I could see the 2 and 4 as the initial offer but can't see why they wouldn't eventually go with the 2 and 3.

Especially when they just did it for Lawrence.

A 2 and a 3 for a pass rusher? Sure.

A 1and a 2 for a cornerback? No brainer.

2nd and 3rd round picks for our future QB? My mother didn't raise any fools. Hang up on em, Stephen.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score

2nd and 3rd round picks for our future QB? My mother didn't raise any fools. Hang up on em, Stephen.

Especially since they reportedly would have done a 2 and a 3 for the same QB at pick 20.

rd26

Reaction score
Especially since they reportedly would have done a 2 and a 3 for the same QB at pick 20.

I'll admit that's silly if it's a guy you REALLY want. I just don't get the sense anybody was pounding the table for this guy.

I'd give up 2 full drafts and never blink for a franchise QB I just don't think it was Lynch and I don't think coaches did either.

He could be a super- stud but so could Driskell or Dak. I just don't love the odds on any of the above

DFWJC

Reaction score
I was under the impression that they offered a 2cnd and 3rd and that Seattle balked.

Not that they never offered the 3rd and lost the deal because of it, seems so trivial to lose your potential QB of the future over being too cheap to offer the 3rd round pick instead of the 4th.

No wonder why Jerry was up all night being critical of his bargain bin approach.

I think it was an early 2nd and 4th--which on paper is decent. But Denver had the leverage and wanted a 3rd--which was way overpaying. Jerry balked but regretted it later. Makes sense now if we learn that they had Lynch rated 12 on their board and not 35th like many other teams.
If you like the guy that much, hard to see passing it up.

It probably didn't help that getting him would mean they spent the first three picks of the 2016 draft on offense....and only one that will help the first 2-3 years.

Dallas ended up getting both Jaylon Smith and Maliek Collins with those picks, so we will have a clear comparison down the road.:laugh:

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
I'll admit that's silly if it's a guy you REALLY want. I just don't get the sense anybody was pounding the table for this guy.

I'd give up 2 full drafts and never blink for a franchise QB I just don't think it was Lynch and I don't think coaches did either.

He could be a super- stud but so could Driskell or Dak. I just don't love the odds on any of the above

They seemed to really want him at 20 but not at 26.

dstew60105

Reaction score
MLBs are as valuable as QBs? You have got to be kidding. RoMac has just as much value as Romo? I can understand if you just don't like the ideal if trading up for Lynch, but making that general statement will get you laughed off this board:

I said MLB's are the quarterbacks of the defense, never said RoMac is better then Romo. In fact, RoMac played terribly last year. I'm assuming that MLB would be Jaylon's position, maybe weakside. But to you point, since you are assuming LB's are not worthy, I'd say LT, Derrick Thomas, Derrick Brooks, Ray Lewis and many others might disagree. The Giants won a pair SB with Phil Simms and Jeff Hostetler. But had LT, Carl Banks and Harry Carson. Ravens won SB with Trent Dilfer, but had Ray Lewis, who was the MVP of that game. Same for Derrick Brooks with Brad Freaking Johnson. Jaylon Smith would have been a top three player if not injured. Paxton Lynch, if not for two teams desperation to find a QB, wouldn't have sniffed the first round in most years.

Last edited:

dstew60105

Reaction score

A 2nd and a 3rd when your picking in the top 3 of every round vs. middle to end of each round isn't exactly apples to apples. But don't let those facts confuse your anti Jones rhetoric.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it was an early 2nd and 4th--which on paper is decent. But Denver had the leverage and wanted a 3rd--which was way overpaying. Jerry balked but regretted it later. Makes sense now if we learn that they had Lynch rated 12 on their board and not 35th like many other teams.
If you like the guy that much, hard to see passing it up.

It probably didn't help that getting him would mean they spent the first three picks of the 2016 draft on offense....and only one that will help the first 2-3 years.

Dallas ended up getting both Jaylon Smith and Maliek Collins with those picks, so we will have a clear comparison down the road.:laugh:

The bottom line is it doesn't matter what you or I think of Lynch. If the scouts graded him that high the trade should have been made. The QB is infinitely more important than any other player on the field.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Lynch is a long shot as far as being a franchise Qb, that's where the mistake was made. We stumbled through it.

I'm glad we missed on Lynch..

I'm not a believer although I do feel like Kubiak gives him a chance to succeed.

rd26

Reaction score
The bottom line is it doesn't matter what you or I think of Lynch. If the scouts graded him that high the trade should have been made. The QB is infinitely more important than any other player on the field.

That really depends on the grade for me, not the rank.

For instance if Smith was a 96 and 3rd on their board while Lynch was a 91 and 12th maybe it isn't a no-brainer.

Taking it a step further, if there have been qbs rated in that range (91) in the late 1st or 2nd round consistently in most years, then you aren't talking about some once in a lifetime opportunity.

jnday

Reaction score
I said MLB's are the quarterbacks of the defense, never said RoMac is better then Romo. In fact, RoMac played terribly last year. I'm assuming that MLB would be Jaylon's position, maybe weakside. But to you point, since you are assuming LB's are not worthy, I'd say LT, Derrick Thomas, Derrick Brooks, Ray Lewis and many others might disagree. The Giants won a pair SB with Phil Simms and Jeff Hostetler. But had LT, Carl Banks and Harry Carson. Ravens won SB with Trent Dilfer, but had Ray Lewis, who was the MVP of that game. Same for Derrick Brooks with Brad Freaking Johnson. Jaylon Smith would have been a top three player if not injured. Paxton Lynch, if not for two teams desperation to find a QB, wouldn't have sniffed the first round in most years.

I can promise you that few people wood agree and think any LB has the worth of a good QB. The examples you use are the exceptions to the rule, but you are undervaluing Simms,. He was a very respected QB when he played: those examples are also well known because they are so rare. QB is the most valuable position on any team. There is a reason that teens will trade away years worth of top draft picks to get in a position to draft one. You never see any LB worth that and you will never see trades with multiple picks for even the best LBs.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
It is pretty clear from the article that it was Jerry that really wanted Lynch and not Garrett. Peter King gave the impression that Garrett preferred defense, but would go along with drafting Lynch if Jerry really wanted to.

So Garrett "LOVED" Zeke and was pounding the table for him after a 7 hour film review session, but was very lukewarm on Lynch.

I don't think Garrett sees Lynch as a franchise QB...........just my impression from what Peter King says.

dstew60105

Reaction score
I can promise you that few people wood agree and think any LB has the worth of a good QB. The examples you use are the exceptions to the rule, but you are undervaluing Simms,. He was a very respected QB when he played: those examples are also well known because they are so rare. QB is the most valuable position on any team. There is a reason that teens will trade away years worth of top draft picks to get in a position to draft one. You never see any LB worth that and you will never see trades with multiple picks for even the best LBs.

So you'd trade Simms straight up for LT? Yes I know they both played for the sane team, but it's a hypothetical question.