Starting NFL QB ages

Blitzen

Reaction score
This list is the age of each projected starting NFL QB for this season (the age they will be most of the season depending on birthday). I listed two names when the current starter is on a short smaller contract (1-2 years) and the team drafted a high round rookie.

NY Jets- Aaron Rodgers-40
Atlanta Falcons-Kirk Cousins-36
LA Rams-Matthew Stafford-36
Pittsburgh Steelers-Russell Wilson (35)/Justin Fields (25)
Seattle Seahawks-Geno Smith-34
New Orleans Saints-Derek Carr-33
Dallas Cowboys-Dak Prescott-31
New England Patriots-Jacoby Brissett(31)/Drake Maye (21)
Washington Commanders-Marcus Mariota (31)/Jayden Daniels (23)
Detroit Lions-Jared Goff-30
Cleveland Browns-Deshaun Watson-29
Kansas City Chiefs-Pat Mahomes-29
Tampa Bay Bucs-Baker Mayfield-29
Buffalo Bills-Josh Allen-28
LV Raiders-Gardner Minshew (28)/Aiden O’Connell (26)
Denver Broncos-Jarrett Stidham (28)/Bo Nix (24)
Arizona Cardinals-Kyler Murray-27
Baltimore Ravens-Lamar Jackson-27
NY Giants-Daniel Jones-27
Cincinnati Bengals-Joe Burrow-27
Minnesota Vikings-Sam Darnold (27)/ JJ McCarthy (21)
Green Bay Packers-Jordan Love-26
Philadelphia Eagles-Jalen Hurts-26
LA Chargers-Justin Herbert-26
Miami Dolphins-Tua Tagovailoa-26
Jacksonville Jaguars-Trevor Lawrence-25
Tennessee Titans-Will Levis-25
San Francisco 49ers-Brock Purdy-24
Houston Texans-CJ Stroud-23
Chicago Bears-Caleb Williams-23
Carolina Panthers-Bryce Young-22
Indianapolis Colts-Anthony Richardson-22

Twenty two out of 32 projected starters will be in their 20’s for the upcoming season. Every single starter in their 30’s is either on their second team or are journeyman QB’s-save for the Cowboys’ QB. Goff just got a big extension (lots of guaranteed money with a very young strong Lions team), but most of the guys in their 30’s don’t have many years or much guaranteed money left on their current deals-and several may end up on other squads or working as backups as early as next season. Part of the conversation with extending the QB at these ages is where the team sees the team evolving into in the next 3-4 seasons with said QB-not necessarily what just got accomplished in the years prior. Just food for thought-it’s a young man’s game for the most part even for QB’s.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
yes, we are going to quite a few exiting in the next couple of years which means there will be even more competition to acquire young QB talent.

Blitzen

Reaction score
I guess not much interest in this one? What the listing tells me more than anything is that teams basically never hold on to the same QB from draft until they hit mid to late 30’s unless they have lots of playoff wins and at least a conference championship appearance. The team moves on to someone else, unless you are a Dallas Cowboy.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
This list is the age of each projected starting NFL QB for this season (the age they will be most of the season depending on birthday). I listed two names when the current starter is on a short smaller contract (1-2 years) and the team drafted a high round rookie.

NY Jets- Aaron Rodgers-40
Atlanta Falcons-Kirk Cousins-36
LA Rams-Matthew Stafford-36
Pittsburgh Steelers-Russell Wilson (35)/Justin Fields (25)
Seattle Seahawks-Geno Smith-34
New Orleans Saints-Derek Carr-33
Dallas Cowboys-Dak Prescott-31
New England Patriots-Jacoby Brissett(31)/Drake Maye (21)
Washington Commanders-Marcus Mariota (31)/Jayden Daniels (23)
Detroit Lions-Jared Goff-30
Cleveland Browns-Deshaun Watson-29
Kansas City Chiefs-Pat Mahomes-29
Tampa Bay Bucs-Baker Mayfield-29
Buffalo Bills-Josh Allen-28
LV Raiders-Gardner Minshew (28)/Aiden O’Connell (26)
Denver Broncos-Jarrett Stidham (28)/Bo Nix (24)
Arizona Cardinals-Kyler Murray-27
Baltimore Ravens-Lamar Jackson-27
NY Giants-Daniel Jones-27
Cincinnati Bengals-Joe Burrow-27
Minnesota Vikings-Sam Darnold (27)/ JJ McCarthy (21)
Green Bay Packers-Jordan Love-26
Philadelphia Eagles-Jalen Hurts-26
LA Chargers-Justin Herbert-26
Miami Dolphins-Tua Tagovailoa-26
Jacksonville Jaguars-Trevor Lawrence-25
Tennessee Titans-Will Levis-25
San Francisco 49ers-Brock Purdy-24
Houston Texans-CJ Stroud-23
Chicago Bears-Caleb Williams-23
Carolina Panthers-Bryce Young-22
Indianapolis Colts-Anthony Richardson-22

Twenty two out of 32 projected starters will be in their 20’s for the upcoming season. Every single starter in their 30’s is either on their second team or are journeyman QB’s-save for the Cowboys’ QB. Goff just got a big extension (lots of guaranteed money with a very young strong Lions team), but most of the guys in their 30’s don’t have many years or much guaranteed money left on their current deals-and several may end up on other squads or working as backups as early as next season. Part of the conversation with extending the QB at these ages is where the team sees the team evolving into in the next 3-4 seasons with said QB-not necessarily what just got accomplished in the years prior. Just food for thought-it’s a young man’s game for the most part even for QB’s.
I have to respectfully disagree. The more experienced your QB is the better chance you have of success. It takes years to learn all the defenses from different DC’s that throw at you. They also need time in the system. So yeah, respectfully disagree on QB’s.

gtb1943

Reaction score
IF we leave the true outlier Tom Brady out of the mix, the majority of SB winning QBs of the last twenty years is in their late twenties.
with the way they are now protected (at least as long as you do not play for Dallas) QBs will last a lot longer. Average age of a QB retiring in the 70's was early thirties.
NOW its late thirties. Add five to seven years to a QBs career compared to back then. THUS an older QB is no longer all that much of a concern; except of course for the Cap Hit.

Blitzen

Reaction score
I have to respectfully disagree. The more experienced your QB is the better chance you have of success. It takes years to learn all the defenses from different DC’s that throw at you. They also need time in the system. So yeah, respectfully disagree on QB’s.

To a point. The problem is that every single QB becomes more injury prone as they age. They lose a step and must make their living with throws from the pocket more and more. Throwing on the run becomes far more difficult even for sprightly guys. The handful that have experienced great success (later in their careers) were always strong at just sitting/sliding in the pocket and picking teams apart.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
I know a lot of people will say that Dak peaked very early in his career and has been on a very slow decline ever since, despite the gaudy stats in Sept and Oct against creampuffs, and that now he's on the wrong side of 30 and still declining and choking harder and harder in the playoffs with each passing year, and will lament the fact that despite all that we're getting ready to sell our soul with him to the tune of 60 mil a year at least, thus even more putting everything on Daks back with far less cap room to surround him with talent, thusbturning our slow decline into a full fledge nose dive into 5-12 Land...

BUT having said all that.. ...

Wait, I forgot where I was going with that.

Carry on.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Time to find a QB guru, pay him well, and develop QBs who have rough skills with potential . IMO none of the top seven are worth big paydays.
Nah, just start drafting QBs in the first round as often as it is reasonable to do so. Historically and mathematically that will be your best bet.

Flamma

Reaction score
Nah, just start drafting QBs in the first round as often as it is reasonable to do so. Historically and mathematically that will be your best bet.
When is it reasonable to do so? Is it reasonable for Cinci, Buffalo, Houston, or KC to draft a QB in the first round? That would be a waste. However, I think what Atlanta did was reasonable.

AmericanCowboy

Reaction score
I know a lot of people will say that Dak peaked very early in his career and has been on a very slow decline ever since, despite the gaudy stats in Sept and Oct against creampuffs, and that now he's on the wrong side of 30 and still declining and choking harder and harder in the playoffs with each passing year, and will lament the fact that despite all that we're getting ready to sell our soul with him to the tune of 60 mil a year at least, thus even more putting everything on Daks back with far less cap room to surround him with talent, thusbturning our slow decline into a full fledge nose dive into 5-12 Land...

Carry on.

Will they say this? I understand the playoff argument. But Dak was 2nd or 3rd in MVP voting last year. This decline is not based in reality.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not necessarily looking for starter, looking for guys you draft late and later can trade for real value in a QB strapped league.
Many guys are just taught to run and shoot in school and have no reading abilities, pocket savvy, and questionable skill development.

gtb1943

Reaction score

Carry on.
Don't you hate it when that happens?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I guess not much interest in this one? What the listing tells me more than anything is that teams basically never hold on to the same QB from draft until they hit mid to late 30’s unless they have lots of playoff wins and at least a conference championship appearance. The team moves on to someone else, unless you are a Dallas Cowboy.
There’s no interest because there’s no correlation. Some are tired of the same posts regarding Dak. Dak fatigue.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I wish this site would sticky that Dak did not bro one simple vote at this point you guys are just willfully being ignorant,
Well it is just plain crazy to think that its any kind of real accomplishment when like 95+% of the vote went to one guy and the rest to another and then say that second guy really did much,

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well it is just plain crazy to think that its any kind of real accomplishment when like 95+% of the vote went to one guy and the rest to another and then say that second guy really did much,
At the end of the day Dak had a good year. He was an all pro. Not sure why people get in a uproar over him getting second place.