Starting RG Xavier Su'a-Filo?

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
Back to LG? Martin has been our RG since he was drafted, and the best RG in the game. I would never move him anywhere.

Exactly , those high school /college experiments should stay over there .

We don't need to run a high school offense here in dallas .

jnday

Reaction score
Looney is a much better all around player and Dallas is lucky to have him.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
If he’s doing that behind that guy imagine what he’ll do behind one of the best players in the league

HungryLion

Reaction score
Su’a filo is the 5th Best interior OL player on the roster (not counting McGovern potentially being better).

No he shouldn’t start.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
He wasn’t so great at pass blocking or blocking against speed rushers.
If you can hold your own and get the beat of Fletcher Cox (who’s the best DT in the league) you can hold your own against anyone. Name these “speed rushers” inside?

Plankton

Reaction score
I'm waiting on the edge of my seat for the Starting LT Mitch Hyatt? thread.

quickccc

Reaction score
Yes he was. Go watch the tape vs fletcher cox and Daron Payne. He outplayed both. He’s a really solid guy who could be starting for most teams.

and yet why he was out there available for the rest of the NFL and teams that he could be starting for, when the Texans gave up on him as a former 2nd round pick ?
Sua Filo is the kind of backup that you hope you can plug in and get by for one or two games while a starter is out.
the more he has to play, the more he tends to wear down and fade out, then the lapses and the injuries really come on more and more.

if McGovern was healthy and solid, i 'd questioned if Sua Filo would even have a chance at a roster spot. - and keep an attention to it if team decides
the Governor is indeed healthy and deem him prepare to play as a backup at some point of the season.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Every big Tony ‘Mike’ Pollard run I have seen, I see XSF road-grading running lanes for l him. What do y’all think, #76 see link below? I would keep 10 OL rather than losing talent.

I think their writing staff has been talking XSF up, but it's hard to see him making the roster.

I don't see them doing 10, and probably not even 9 unless they like another T, which I hope they do.

With Looney and McGovern, we've already got 2 interior backup oline. If we needed extra, it's more at T than interior, and XSF is only a guard, and not a center. They may want to keep Redmond over XSF too, as a future replacement for Looney.

Backups, in order
6 Fleming
7 Looney
8 McGovern
9 T/Redmond/XSF

With more guys we want to keep than roster spots, and them going light on the oline in recent years, I don't see XSF making the cut. I doubt we go 9 with anyone.

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
If you can hold your own and get the beat of Fletcher Cox (who’s the best DT in the league) you can hold your own against anyone. Name these “speed rushers” inside?
Phil Costa once held his own against JJ Watt. How'd that one game sample work out for ya?!!!!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Phil Costa once held his own against JJ Watt. How'd that one game sample work out for ya?!!!!

Great! Woohoo!

I'm still President of the Phil Costa Fan Club. I maintain he was getting pretty good before he was injured out of the league.

Probably couldn't be the C for anyone but Tony until he got his mystery snaps under control. Incoming!

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Players can get better and improve. That’s obvious with Su’a Filo because he has. The skins cut Nate Newton as a rookie.

Officially the worst possible argument... "once this happened so that proves my point!"

Never mind the 1000s of counter examples

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
and yet why he was out there available for the rest of the NFL and teams that he could be starting for, when the Texans gave up on him as a former 2nd round pick ?
Sua Filo is the kind of backup that you hope you can plug in and get by for one or two games while a starter is out.
the more he has to play, the more he tends to wear down and fade out, then the lapses and the injuries really come on more and more.

if McGovern was healthy and solid, i 'd questioned if Sua Filo would even have a chance at a roster spot. - and keep an attention to it if team decides
the Governor is indeed healthy and deem him prepare to play as a backup at some point of the season.
I just said players can improve. He’s clearly gotten stronger since he came in the league. Nate Newton was cut as a rookie. We cut jimmy smith, heck look at Devin smith. He’s developed into a nice player.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Officially the worst possible argument... "once this happened so that proves my point!"

Never mind the 1000s of counter examples
You have no merit to what you’re saying. The coaches and Stephan Jones have said nothing but good things about the player throughout camp. He’s been starting the entire preseason and looks really solid. Our offense has looked good.