Stashed away in Year 1, Cowboys DE Jelks could emerge in 2020

Kaiser

Reaction score
Right. And I'm not asking to be argumentative I just honestly can't think of many guys on that side of the football. But I can list you a bunch of guys who we "stashed" just to go on and do nothing.

I don't think you can do it on defense, there are examples of practice squad guys doing well (Ron Leary or Miles Austin) but none on defense like you say. Maybe the closest thing could be UDFAs like Barry Church being special teams only for a year while they developed but that isn't "stashed", its a back of the roster guy.

Jay Ratliff was a 7th round pick who didn't play much as a rookie, but he still had one start with four tackles.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Damn I Didn't know they stashed him. Crap that sucks though that we have to go all the way back to that era in order to find a example of that.

Chad Hennings was a first round talent and All American, but he played for the Air Force Academy so they spent an 11th round pick on him for the flyer that he might do something after his four year Air Force commitment was up (he flew A-10's in Desert Storm BTW). They didn't stash him anywhere, it would be like saying we stashed Roger Staubach. Practice squads didn't even exist when Hennings was drafted.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Maybe, kinda, sorta DB Alan Ball? He was on the roster for two games and then went to the practice squad as a rookie. He definitely wasn't a starting caliber player but he did start for one season in Dallas after being a 7th round pick. Pretty much an awful player but not a bad return on a 7th round pick that needed to develop.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The DE room is awfully crowded. Not with top end talent, but guys that are good enough to keep Jelks from making the team.
Depends on how deep we go on the DL. 11 is possible, which factoring in both DE and DT

DT
Poe
McCoy
Gallimore
Woods
Hill

DE
Lawrence
Gregory
Smith
Armstrong
Anae
Jackson
Jelks

DT/DE
Crawford

Of that list, 2 will be cut if we keep 11. Most likely Jelks and Jackson.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't think you can do it on defense, there are examples of practice squad guys doing well (Ron Leary or Miles Austin) but none on defense like you say. Maybe the closest thing could be UDFAs like Barry Church being special teams only for a year while they developed but that isn't "stashed", its a back of the roster guy.

Jay Ratliff was a 7th round pick who didn't play much as a rookie, but he still had one start with four tackles.
Stephan Bowen started on our practice squad

cern

Reaction score
Hope we get to see some preseason games. Best way to get an idea of what a player's got in the tank. Until then, hype/tripe.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't find the article now but earlier this spring it was suggested that Jelks could be playing more OLB in the future.

Kaiser

Reaction score

Totally agree, I would rank it that way but injuries usually make the decision for them. I could also see a scenario where Crawford, Jackson and/or Jelks are fairly even so they renegotiate Crawford and trade him for a conditional pick late in the preseason.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Theres a LOT of guys in the league that needed a year in an NFL program to get a lot better.

Not saying they become All Pros, but the DL is a rotation thing....and the bottom of the roster covers kicks....anyone who overlooks having quality players in that capacity I'll refer to the 2019 season.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Depends on how deep we go on the DL. 11 is possible, which factoring in both DE and DT

DT
Poe
McCoy
Gallimore
Woods
Hill

DE
Lawrence
Gregory
Smith
Armstrong
Anae
Jackson
Jelks

DT/DE
Crawford

Looking at how Darth has this depth chart set up it's hard to see Jelks making the roster. Crawford is a DE for now, but may be a great 3Tech backup, anyway, I also move Anae to OLB/DPR giving me:
DLaw
RG
Aldon
TyCraw

After these guys it's anybody's guess. I think Jackson fits the DC's scheme moving forward. Then you have Armstrong, Jelks and two UDFAs.

So there is a small percentage chance for Jelks, but I don't even see what he does well to add to this DE group.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
we are defintley throwing numbers at the problem...Anae, Smith, Gregory(maybe), Jelks, Crawford, Jackson, Armstrong, Hamilton, Carter, and probably hoping a few stand out....that doesn't include Lawrence who will man the LDE....

that's a lot of people and there are favorites among fans for all of them (except Crawford). IMHO, we keep 5 and probably

Smith
Anae
Lawrence
Jelks or Gregory (If Gregory makes it, Jelks goes to PS)
Carter or Jackson (one goes to PS)

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Chad Hennings was a first round talent and All American, but he played for the Air Force Academy so they spent an 11th round pick on him for the flyer that he might do something after his four year Air Force commitment was up (he flew A-10's in Desert Storm BTW). They didn't stash him anywhere, it would be like saying we stashed Roger Staubach. Practice squads didn't even exist when Hennings was drafted.
Ahh got you so Hennings was expected to come in and play just after the four years was up.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Ahh got you so Hennings was expected to come in and play just after the four years was up.

Yes, but no one new if he would play at all (or would want to). He was at the Air Force Academy and going to flight school, which was normally an 8 year commitment. He got out after 4 but its apples and oranges to say he was a developmental guy the team had stashed on IR.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Looking at how Darth has this depth chart set up it's hard to see Jelks making the roster. Crawford is a DE for now, but may be a great 3Tech backup, anyway, I also move Anae to OLB/DPR giving me:
DLaw
RG
Aldon
TyCraw

After these guys it's anybody's guess. I think Jackson fits the DC's scheme moving forward. Then you have Armstrong, Jelks and two UDFAs.

So there is a small percentage chance for Jelks, but I don't even see what he does well to add to this DE group.
With an expanded roster, we may keep 1 more than we do. Jelks will have to play well enough for them to go long.

Aven8

Reaction score
I have a feeling Anae is going to frustrate all the QB’s all TC. He’s going to be that guy that the coaches have to tell to “slow down” in practice.

kskboys

Reaction score
Right. And I'm not asking to be argumentative I just honestly can't think of many guys on that side of the football. But I can list you a bunch of guys who we "stashed" just to go on and do nothing.

Who knows Jelks may be the exception here but it doesn't seem like you stash a guy who's ready to contribute for you but maybe he can be a special teams guy and depth guy. Still would be solid if he is even good on special teams.
Jeff Heath?