Stashed away in Year 1, Cowboys DE Jelks could emerge in 2020

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Really his "measurables" are classic Marinelli measurables.

Here's what Garrett said in the link to the piece provided by the OP :
" He’s big, long, athletic, plays with a relentless spirit, great motor, great energy, around the ball a lot."

Is that not classic Rod Speak?

Measureables:

1. Height 6' 5⅜" 88
  2. Weight 256 lbs 26
  3. Wingspan 83" 93
  4. Arm Length 34⅝" 86
  5. Hand Size 9⅝" 31
  6. 40 Yard Dash 4.92s 26
  7. Vertical Jump 32½" 43
  8. Broad Jump 113" 40
  9. 3-Cone Drill 7.22s 47
  10. 20 Yard Shuttle 4.59s 15
  11. Bench Press 19 reps 16

He only was above the 50% avg. in 3 categories .... height, wingspan, and arm length ... Classic Marinelli search criteria
That 3 cone is pretty bad

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Ah, that's true. He was.
Him Bowen played on passing downs with Spears amd Igor coming off the field. Both played really well. I think Hatcher had something like 25-30 pressures, and Bowen had about 35. Hatcher fell off a bit in 2010 while Bowen had a very strong year

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Him Bowen played on passing downs with Spears amd Igor coming off the field. Both played really well. I think Hatcher had something like 25-30 pressures, and Bowen had about 35. Hatcher fell off a bit in 2010 while Bowen had a very strong year

Yeah, they were a great combo.

quickccc

Reaction score
I don’t think that’s the case with Jelks. In fact, I think it might be just the opposite. The scouts supposedly had him much higher on the board than the 7th round where they got him. So much so that he was the proverbial blinking light. The reason they didn’t pick him earlier is probably because they had already taken Jackson and he didn’t really fit Marinelli’s scheme. He does, however, fit Nolan’s hybrid scheme. There are other in front of him for the role he fits but he has a chance to develop in this defense. I liked him a lot last preseason. Much more than Jackson but Jackson fit the D so he got the spot while Jelks was stashed to see if he could gain size and strength. We will see how it plays out but Jelks is a guy I’m hoping surprises this year.

i had to think Joe Jackson was just great value that late in the draft- Marinelli or not ... "quick twitch " or not.
He was just a productive collegian player at Miami who was on their board.
what i did like about Jackson , from what i saw his rookei year in preeseason in limited time, he is adept at using hands, arms, leverage,techniques to get into the backfield..

Not overly bull strong, and definitely not overly athletic
but he has Jim Jeffcoat type knack. what i did not like is the wider he is..the more distance he has to run dowm laterally from point A to B, the more his lack of speed and athleticism stands out.

Some players are just surprisingly faster on the field than in workout tests.
Unfortunately Jackson is not one of those. But with the right scheme, ..right coaches, right design-fit
i think he can be a productive, active nickel rusher inside at DT in a 4-3 scheme and 3-4 rush end, which
seems pretty such a right fit similar to Crawford, imo.

But if Jackson's future is gonna depend upon his development and existence as a wide 4-3 DE =, i just
don't like his chances in that sense. Especially up against the number of other DE candidates.
o_O

quickccc

Reaction score
Was going to say this. If the team gets what they expect or hope from A.Smith/Gregory, you're basically down to 1-2 available slots among Armstrong, Joe Jackson, Anae and Jelks. Gotta believe as a 1st year draft pick, Anae is all but guaranteed a spot barring a major injury.

1. DLaw
2. Crawford
3. A. Smith
4. Gregory (tentative)
5. Anae

How many more DEs would they carry on the active roster? 1...even 2 is a stretch.

if it's likely five DE's ..how many DTs will we likely carry ? five ?... four ?:huh:

dallasdave

Reaction score
Was going to say this. If the team gets what they expect or hope from A.Smith/Gregory, you're basically down to 1-2 available slots among Armstrong, Joe Jackson, Anae and Jelks. Gotta believe as a 1st year draft pick, Anae is all but guaranteed a spot barring a major injury.

1. DLaw
2. Crawford
3. A. Smith
4. Gregory (tentative)
5. Anae

How many more DEs would they carry on the active roster? 1...even 2 is a stretch.
Well cut Crawford and that will open one spot.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Has anyone ever been stashed away and gone on to have a good career? Genuine question.
Depends on your definition of stashed away...
Ron Leary...
Jay Ratlif
Jimmy Smith
Tony Romo
Aaron Rodgers

fivetwos

Reaction score
i had to think Joe Jackson was just great value that late in the draft- Marinelli or not ... "quick twitch " or not.
He was just a productive collegian player at Miami who was on their board.
what i did like about Jackson , from what i saw his rookei year in preeseason in limited time, he is adept at using hands, arms, leverage,techniques to get into the backfield..

Not overly bull strong, and definitely not overly athletic
but he has Jim Jeffcoat type knack. what i did not like is the wider he is..the more distance he has to run dowm laterally from point A to B, the more his lack of speed and athleticism stands out.

Some players are just surprisingly faster on the field than in workout tests.
Unfortunately Jackson is not one of those. But with the right scheme, ..right coaches, right design-fit
i think he can be a productive, active nickel rusher inside at DT in a 4-3 scheme and 3-4 rush end, which
seems pretty such a right fit similar to Crawford, imo.

But if Jackson's future is gonna depend upon his development and existence as a wide 4-3 DE =, i just
don't like his chances in that sense. Especially up against the number of other DE candidates.
o_O
My UM pal was shocked he lasted until the 5th round.

The corner he wasnt so high on.

It really sounded like Jackson wasnt one of those guys who needed a year to put on strength and he should have contributed more right away.

It may very well have been the last staff. We are talking Garrett and Marinelli here.

We may definitely have something in Jackson, and it turns to a sin if a guy like Crawford ends up getting a guy like Jackson cut.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
If Jelks added strength, he’s gonna be a real threat to make the team. A lot to like about him,

Agree....big off season for him. Needs to hit the weight room hard...I can see him pushing Gregory off the roster if he comes through...Eat it all man....You got one job....:rolleyes:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Guess Im a bit early in liking potential up and coming talent that can be used correctly.
I started posting about Jelks when we first hired MM as head coach and how Jelks might be a contributor in a hybrid Defense, and that just rolled off the front page without a single response... lol
Jelks vs Armstrong and Carter to make the cut, unless we go light at LB, and decide to go heavy at RDE.