CFZ State of the NFCE

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We are into week 2 of FA now. I have not looked at all the NFL teams moves yet, for FA's as well as their own FA.
Not even all the NFCE teams other than what I seen on here.
What are your thoughts, and honest thoughts so far. I say honest, as we all know we will get some of the standard comments.
And thoughts as of now, as we have more FA moves as well the main way to improve, the draft.

Washington, have not seemed to do too much, other than giving Payne a huge contract. If they get a QB I can see them improving though, but enough to challenge for the division, just can't see it right now. They have some very good skill players, and will Chase Young finally step up. I still don't think their defense is as good as some think, but they play well against weaker offenses.

NYG, Daboll get a good job, especially with Jones at QB. Barkley will be more recovered from his injury. They were a surprise team, and DaBoll deserved coach of the year, IMO. Can we see improvement especially if they get some WR's, as their defense is not bad. Or will they take a step back with film on his system now.

I see both teams about the same.

Philly, they lose 5 of 11 defensive starters so far, retained 1 or 2. Lost their starting RB and one OL, and another depth OL, retained none that I know of on offense.
They lose both OC & DC also. More film on the offense as well. Can they keep up the same offensive style, as how do they keep the defense from getting worse.
Seems a big step back for now. However they do have draft capital to replace players or some of them.

Dallas, retained their DC, got addition by subtraction from Moore leaving for OC. Retained some key players, made 2 very good trades to help the team.
Still have 7 picks, one in each round in the draft.

So far I see Philly taking a step back, and Dallas at least the same if not a step forward.

I usually go with the current division winner as the favorite going into the next season, unless some drastic changes happen. And so far Philly losing all those starters as well as the OC & DC, that is a big step back.
So I am saying for now, Dallas is the slight favorite, but that could change after the draft.

Last edited:

starfan1

Reaction score
We are into week 2 of FA now. I have not looked at all the NFL teams moves yet, for FA's as well as their own FA.
What are your thoughts, and honest thoughts so far. I say honest, as we all know we will get some of the standard comments.
And thoughts as of now, as we have more FA moves as well the main way to improve, the draft.

Washington, have not seemed to do too much, other than giving Payne a huge contract. If they get a QB I can see them improving though, but enough to challenge for the division, just can't see it right now. They have some very good skill players, and will Chase Young finally step up. I still don't think their defense is as good as some think, but they play well against weaker offenses.

NYG, Daboll get a good job, especially with Jones at QB. Barkley will be more recovered from his injury. They were a surprise team, and DaBoll deserved coach of the year, IMO. Can we see improvement especially if they get some WR's, as their defense is not bad. Or will they take a step back with film on his system now.

Philly, they lose 5 of 11 defensive starters so far, retained 1 or 2. Lost their starting RB and one OL, and another depth OL, retained none that I know of on offense.
They lose both OC & DC also. More film on the offense as well. Can they keep up the same offensive style, as how do they keep the defense from getting worse.
Seems a big step back for now. However they do have draft capital to replace players or some of them.

Dallas, retained their DC, got addition by subtraction from Moore leaving for OC. Retained some key players, made 2 very good trades to help the team.

So far I see Philly taking a step back, and Dallas at least the same if not a step forward.

I usually go with the current division winner as the favorite going into the next season, unless some drastic changes happen. And so far Philly losing all those starters as well as the OC & DC, that is a big step back.
So I am saying for now, Dallas is the slight favorite, but that could change after the draft.
I could see s scenario where dallas finishes anywhere 8-9 or 12-5. I see Philly coming back to the pack and if washington evr figures out the QB spot they could be a real problem. I simply dont want to belive in Giants. if nothing gets dont with the Dline and 1 tech we are still vulnerable

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I see a division there for the taking for the Cowboys. NYG has gotten better, but I also tend to believe they overachieved in 2022 so now maybe they are legitimate wild card contenders but not much more?

Philly has lost a ton so far. Granted they are in a position to restock via the draft I have a hard time believing they are as good in 2023....or at very least get off to a slower start this season with as many moving pieces as they have.

Washington is a total wild card in my mind. I think they could be legitimate contenders, but need to make a splash move to do so, probably at the QB position. Is Snyder going to go get a Lamar Jackson while he is on the way out? Would giving up that much draft capital and making such a high dollar signing the best thing to do right before you sell a team? Probably not, and that puts them right back into a fight for .500 IMO

Should be a fun season, but I have to believe a 12 win team actually wins the division this year.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
As much as I want to believe Philly takes a step back, I am not so sure.

Jordan Davis replaces Hargreaves. They may end up getting Carter at pick 10. I could see them replacing Chauncey-Gardner with their 2nd 1st rd pick.. A couple of LB's with later picks and they are back in business.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Jordan Davis replaces Hargreaves. They may end up getting Carter at pick 10. I could see them replacing Chauncey-Gardner with their 2nd 1st rd pick.. A couple of LB's with later picks and they are back in business.
Davis did not do much when he did play last season. But it was his rookie year, he may step up. But so much he replaces Hargraves production?

erod

Reaction score

Washington beat the crap out of Dallas with a 3rd-string rookie 5th-round quarterback, and then Dallas went and lost to an the last rookie taken in the wild card round.

Who knows what Dallas is or isn't at this point.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Don't think Davis can provide the pass rush they lose with Hargrave, but he should be a good run defender. Of course, Carter would be a big-time pickup. With a late-first round DB, there's always questions about how fast they will acclimate. They are often hit and miss that first year. I don't expect them to fall out of contention because they still have plenty of top-notch pieces, but their lineup will definitely have a few more question marks this year.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score

With our luck that's what will happen lol. It's a lot of moving pieces and a lot of things they need to get right though. Especially with two new coordinators in Philly odds of them duplicating their success seems unlikely. It's not like Chauncey-Garner and Hargraves are easy guys to replace either. They can hit on two guys in the draft, but neither might be as good as those guys were still....and that's assuming they hit on their selections.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I could see s scenario where dallas finishes anywhere 8-9 or 12-5. I see Philly coming back to the pack and if washington evr figures out the QB spot they could be a real problem. I simply dont want to belive in Giants. if nothing gets dont with the Dline and 1 tech we are still vulnerable
The last 2 years. Many said 8-9 or worse, and they will say it again. There is a huge faction on here that predict a losing record even year. And they have been wrong many of those times. Well all of those times, except when big and a lot of injuries occur. Especially when that player was a QB.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I still see it as PHL, DAL, NYG and WAS.

Losing the DC and OC for PHL isn't that big of a deal because they were both top notch so it is keep that going, do not try and re-invent the wheel. If Davis and Dean can play and stay healthy, their best picks from 22 should show up well.

I really wanted Nkobe Dean because he's as sideline to sideline as they come and Quinn did very well with Deion Jones.

PHL is all about those lines and they've done a good job keeping them going witn one of the best GM's.

The real difference between DAL and PHL is that before the season starts, the GM will announce the team ready and begin the selling and PHL never feels it's complete, always one more thing they can do.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Washington beat the crap out of Dallas with a 3rd-string rookie 5th-round quarterback, and then Dallas went and lost to an the last rookie taken in the wild card round.

Who knows what Dallas is or isn't at this point.
Games like those happen. It does not define the season or the next season.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

Good write up, Dallas' addition by subtraction is a hope, I also agreed with the move but we need to see it actually happen before i can put it in the + column.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think they even win 12 games. 10 or 11, yeah maybe.
Seems like we're always trying to stick a fork in their butt and call them done. I still remember those that called the trade for AJ Brown dumb.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

You don't replace Javon Hargrave with Jordan Davis. Hargrave had 18.5 sacks and 19 TFLs the last two seasons. Jordan Davis might not reach those numbers in his career. He's a completely different player.

That inside pressure lost is significant and Jordan Davis isn't helping you replace it.