CFZ State of the NFCE

Motorola

Reaction score
We are into week 2 of FA now. I have not looked at all the NFL teams moves yet, for FA's as well as their own FA.
Not even all the NFCE teams other than what I seen on here.
What are your thoughts, and honest thoughts so far. I say honest, as we all know we will get some of the standard comments.
And thoughts as of now, as we have more FA moves as well the main way to improve, the draft.

Washington, have not seemed to do too much, other than giving Payne a huge contract. If they get a QB I can see them improving though, but enough to challenge for the division, just can't see it right now. They have some very good skill players, and will Chase Young finally step up. I still don't think their defense is as good as some think, but they play well against weaker offenses.

NYG, Daboll get a good job, especially with Jones at QB. Barkley will be more recovered from his injury. They were a surprise team, and DaBoll deserved coach of the year, IMO. Can we see improvement especially if they get some WR's, as their defense is not bad. Or will they take a step back with film on his system now.

I see both teams about the same.

Philly, they lose 5 of 11 defensive starters so far, retained 1 or 2. Lost their starting RB and one OL, and another depth OL, retained none that I know of on offense.
They lose both OC & DC also. More film on the offense as well. Can they keep up the same offensive style, as how do they keep the defense from getting worse.
Seems a big step back for now. However they do have draft capital to replace players or some of them.

Dallas, retained their DC, got addition by subtraction from Moore leaving for OC. Retained some key players, made 2 very good trades to help the team.
Still have 7 picks, one in each round in the draft.

So far I see Philly taking a step back, and Dallas at least the same if not a step forward.

I usually go with the current division winner as the favorite going into the next season, unless some drastic changes happen. And so far Philly losing all those starters as well as the OC & DC, that is a big step back.
So I am saying for now, Dallas is the slight favorite, but that could change after the draft.
March 20th, 2023.
We are into week 2 of FA now. I have not looked at all the NFL teams moves yet, for FA's as well as their own FA.
What are your thoughts, and honest thoughts so far. I say honest, as we all know we will get some of the standard comments.
And thoughts as of now, as we have more FA moves as well the main way to improve, the draft.

Washington, have not seemed to do too much, other than giving Payne a huge contract. If they get a QB I can see them improving though, but enough to challenge for the division, just can't see it right now. They have some very good skill players, and will Chase Young finally step up. I still don't think their defense is as good as some think, but they play well against weaker offenses.

NYG, Daboll get a good job, especially with Jones at QB. Barkley will be more recovered from his injury. They were a surprise team, and DaBoll deserved coach of the year, IMO. Can we see improvement especially if they get some WR's, as their defense is not bad. Or will they take a step back with film on his system now.

Philly, they lose 5 of 11 defensive starters so far, retained 1 or 2. Lost their starting RB and one OL, and another depth OL, retained none that I know of on offense.
They lose both OC & DC also. More film on the offense as well. Can they keep up the same offensive style, as how do they keep the defense from getting worse.
Seems a big step back for now. However they do have draft capital to replace players or some of them.

Dallas, retained their DC, got addition by subtraction from Moore leaving for OC. Retained some key players, made 2 very good trades to help the team.

So far I see Philly taking a step back, and Dallas at least the same if not a step forward.

I usually go with the current division winner as the favorite going into the next season, unless some drastic changes happen. And so far Philly losing all those starters as well as the OC & DC, that is a big step back.
So I am saying for now, Dallas is the slight favorite, but that could change after the draft.
Provide us your state of the NFCE update 5 months + 2 weeks from today = Labor Day -
3 days before the NFL Kickoff Game___Sept 7th

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Cowboys best team. niners still better.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

dont forget Zeke gone another addition by subtraction. We could actually have a consistent and dangerous running game depending who they take in the draft.

Reactions: CWR

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
March 20th, 2023.
Provide us your state of the NFCE update 5 months + 2 weeks from today = Labor Day -
3 days before the NFL Kickoff Game___Sept 7th
I am sure I will do it again after the draft. Then yeah after TC.

CWR

Reaction score
As much as I want to believe Philly takes a step back, I am not so sure.

Jordan Davis replaces Hargreaves. They may end up getting Carter at pick 10. I could see them replacing Chauncey-Gardner with their 2nd 1st rd pick.. A couple of LB's with later picks and they are back in business.

Na man, they've definitely taken a step back. Davis won't likely replace Hargraves pass rush. Both LB played very well for Philly. They will be missed.

Think about the odds of drafting 4-5 highly performing starters on defense and then changing coordinators and not missing a beat. Not gonna happen. They are going backwards.

CWR

Reaction score
Washington beat the crap out of Dallas with a 3rd-string rookie 5th-round quarterback, and then Dallas went and lost to an the last rookie taken in the wild card round.

Who knows what Dallas is or isn't at this point.

Yeah you can use that small sample size or look at the last two 12 win seasons plus add in improvements in the roster.

This is a double digit win team.

My only question is how far can they go in the playoffs.

Motorola

Reaction score
I am sure I will do it again after the draft. Then yeah after TC.
Labor Day Sunday analysis is what I look forward to --
2023 schedules set in stone; 53 active player rosters solidified (somewhat)

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Eagles take a step back by winning 12 instead of 14 games. Not much of a step back
Eggles will be still good , but their play of running the ball ( 4 downs) and getting ahead will be tested this year, I hope. Their OL if its still good , they can go for a while . It all depends on Hurts , if he decides to holdout or gets a Fat contract, things will change

CCBoy

Reaction score
I see a division there for the taking for the Cowboys. NYG has gotten better, but I also tend to believe they overachieved in 2022 so now maybe they are legitimate wild card contenders but not much more?

Philly has lost a ton so far. Granted they are in a position to restock via the draft I have a hard time believing they are as good in 2023....or at very least get off to a slower start this season with as many moving pieces as they have.

Washington is a total wild card in my mind. I think they could be legitimate contenders, but need to make a splash move to do so, probably at the QB position. Is Snyder going to go get a Lamar Jackson while he is on the way out? Would giving up that much draft capital and making such a high dollar signing the best thing to do right before you sell a team? Probably not, and that puts them right back into a fight for .500 IMO

Should be a fun season, but I have to believe a 12 win team actually wins the division this year.
Dallas has been 12-5 the past two seasons.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Labor Day Sunday analysis is what I look forward to --
2023 schedules set in stone; 53 active player rosters solidified (somewhat)
It is still fun to over analyze at different points in the season.
If someone rather wait wait a few days before KO that is fine, but don't rain on others to over analyze at this point. :laugh:

After the season
After FA
After the Draft
After OTA's and mini camps
Right before TC
During TC and after a few PS games
After TC before the start of the season.

All speculation until they hit they field for real, then even at that they need a few games. So we should all disappear until Labor Day? :muttley:

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Na man, they've definitely taken a step back. Davis won't likely replace Hargraves pass rush. Both LB played very well for Philly. They will be missed.

Think about the odds of drafting 4-5 highly performing starters on defense and then changing coordinators and not missing a beat. Not gonna happen. They are going backwards.
D Coordinator change will be an upgrade. Gannon did not maximize the players’ talents.
They don’t need 5 new starters, they need 2 starters and depth at DT.

They’ll sign a vet safety- Jalen Mills, Adrian Amos etc. Reed Blankenship will play the other spot.
CB both starters back and Greedy Williams for depth
LB Nokobe Dean will take one spot (Mike). Need to find a Will.
DT pass rush is gonna have to come from Milton Williams, Davis’ push rush moves are non existent. He needs to step up this year and take on a bigger role. Howie will get a DT in the draft.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
D Coordinator change will be an upgrade. Gannon did not maximize the players’ talents.

They’ll sign a vet safety- Jalen Mills, Adrian Amos etc. Reed Blankenship will play the other spot.
DT pass rush is gonna have to come from Milton Williams, Davis’ push rush moves are non existent. He needs to step up this year and take on a bigger role. Howie will get a DT in the draft.
Sounds like a step back to me, actually 2 step backs.

CWR

Reaction score

Sounds like wishful thinking. Whatever gymnastics eagles fans need to tell themselves. The flood gates are open and 7 starters have exited. Good luck lol.

offlimits

Reaction score
Wash needs a QB right now maybe slightly better.

Giants were missing all 4 starting DBs otherwise we lose game 2 last season.

Eagles are a question, are they as hungry as last season? Big test for HC. We'll see.

Kellen will be more of a loss than we expected and Mike won't be the savior everyone thinks.
Quinns defense will be stout but don't know if they'll make up for the offense. Everyone thinks we'll be a running juggernaut but you have to have a ligit threat to pass also or you'll be pressed all the time.

Right now I think 3-3 would be my expectation for the division. Best case.

But it's really early.
Seriously? You must be young. Big Mike has been coordinating top offenses in the NFL when you were probably wearing diapers. You have no idea what you are talking about.

offlimits

Reaction score
Sounds like wishful thinking. Whatever gymnastics eagles fans need to tell themselves. The flood gates are open and 7 starters have exited. Good luck lol.
Eagles will come back to the pack. Don't see the Gnats or Washington doing much either.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Ultimately,
I mean I even read it somewhere here.
Respect is earned...

Oh, I forget never mind.

Break out the champagne and the Regular Season Banners, Cowboys!
Respect is earned for sure, and no doubt back to back 12 win seasons is something because its been a while since we had back to back good seasons...BUT ultimatley "This team looks good on paper" needs to transition into "No one wants any part of this team on the field" because they are showing it on the field, even in "Its a process" the next step needs to be deep playoff success or none of it matters.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Eagles will come back to the pack. Don't see the Gnats or Washington doing much either.
The first place schedule alone will bring them back to the pack a bit, odds are they can not repeat the W/L from last season as it was out of the norm anyway.

75boyz

Reaction score
Big Mike will have a better line and better weapons. Can he post a #1 offense like Moore?

We shall see.
His last play calling gig with a slightly better QB didn't end so well, but I digress.

erod

Reaction score
Yeah you can use that small sample size or look at the last two 12 win seasons plus add in improvements in the roster.

This is a double digit win team.

My only question is how far can they go in the playoffs.
Both seasons ended the same. With an ugly finish.

Some really ugly losses last year, too.