Stats they tell the story

BigD_95

Reaction score
Cowboys pass rate in 1st/2nd down:

Week 1vs NYG: 69%
Week 2 @ Was: 64%
Week 3 vs. Mia: 53%
Week 4 @ NO: 50%

Dallas used play action on just 7 of 35 dropbacks (20%) against New Orleans.

The Cowboys had the 2nd highest play action rate (39%) in weeks 1-3 and this was their first game under 32% this season.

Dak on play action in week 4: 6-7 65 yards

The cowboys first down play balance prior to the final drive:

11 runs @ 1.9 YPA
8 passes @ 7.3 YPA

First Half Only:
7 runs @ 2.1 YPA (14% success)
3 passes @ 6.7 YPA (67% success)

On First down Kellen Moore went extremely conservative (70% run in 1H) It was a major mistake.

sean10mm

Reaction score
Cowboys pass rate in 1st/2nd down:

Week 1vs NYG: 69%
Week 2 @ Was: 64%
Week 3 vs. Mia: 53%
Week 4 @ NO: 50%

Dallas used play action on just 7 of 35 dropbacks (20%) against New Orleans.

The Cowboys had the 2nd highest play action rate (39%) in weeks 1-3 and this was their first game under 32% this season.

Dak on play action in week 4: 6-7 65 yards

The cowboys first down play balance prior to the final drive:

11 runs @ 1.9 YPA
8 passes @ 7.3 YPA

First Half Only:
7 runs @ 2.1 YPA (14% success)
3 passes @ 6.7 YPA (67% success)

On First down Kellen Moore went extremely conservative (70% run in 1H) It was a major mistake.

It was like Moore wasn't there at all and everything was a replay of Garrett's worst tendencies from the last decade.

sean10mm

Reaction score
things go bad...it garrett….things go well, its moore….hmmm

I'm not saying it wasn't Moore. I'm saying that what the Cowboys did was a replay of all the bad tendencies before Moore became OC, after 3 weeks of the offense doing the complete opposite.

I don't know who ordered the change (Garrett or Moore) but it's clear there was a huge shift away from what had been working great the first 3 weeks to the same old crap that has failed the team for years. And it predictably failed again.

J-man

Reaction score
It seemed to me that they just didn't feel comfortable throwing in that game. Why? IDK why, but Dak didn't look great, the WR's didn't seem to be getting open and the O-line wasn't at their best pass protecting. I assume Moore and JG or whoever saw this and said hey lets just run more and try to get into a rhythm, which they never got into.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It was clear to me about midway through the 3rd quarter that we were Linehaning.

We ran ourselves into a loss playing 50/50 ball. We should've thrown the ball, scored a couple TD's, and gone home a winner.

Instead they played not to lose, didn't convert on 3rd downs, fumbled a couple times, and took an L.

Someone thought the best gameplan for us was to go into a shell. They need to answer for that.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Dak can be trusted against the cream puffs of the NFL, but caves against real competition. Maybe that's where the problem lies. Maybe Moore did the same thing Linehan did last season and held him back.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
Proof that Garrett pulled rank and **** the bed...

I just don't see a grown man, stepping in and "taking the reigns" from another grown man..who had been doing exceptionally well his first three outings.. because said grown man "just decided to"

Especially in today's day and age, I just cannot fathom any situation in any line of work where this is a thing.

This was a collective team loss, dropping the ball and being unprepared for the game. Just my opinion though.

sean10mm

Reaction score
The few times they let Dak pass on 1st down, his success rate before the final drive was literally 100%.

So many of those 1st down runs throwing Zeke into the fat rolls of the opposing DL were wasted plays.

sean10mm

Reaction score
I just don't see a grown man, stepping in and "taking the reigns" from another grown man..who had been doing exceptionally well his first three outings.. because said grown man "just decided to"

Especially in today's day and age, I just cannot fathom any situation in any line of work where this is a thing.

This was a collective team loss, dropping the ball and being unprepared for the game. Just my opinion though.

Anybody who has experience with vain corporate middle management types has seen stuff like this.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The way to beat that team was to run counters, RPOs, boots and throw to the flats. They weren't really concerned with covering the backs out of the backfield. This allowed them to blanket the receivers downfield. In short, we didn't make them defend the entire field and that is why they seemed like they could be everywhere at once. They committed to stopping the run and taking the big play away. Well, we played right into their hands and never adjusted. Yards were there, plays were there. We just didn't take advantage of what they were giving to us. Simple as that IMO.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
Dak can be trusted against the cream puffs of the NFL, but caves against real competition. Maybe that's where the problem lies. Maybe Moore did the same thing Linehan did last season and held him back.

Please. So the 3rd quarter was an anomaly?

We got our butts kicked by a better team with a phenomenal coach. We came in with a game plan that didn't work, and could not overcome.

Did you watch the New England game? That's the difference in a well coached team and an inexperienced, lackluster coached team.

We got handled pretty well in all 3 phases essentially.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score

He’s the head coach. Apparently you haven’t been watching or understanding the play calling...

We reverted to our old tendencies. Now we probably still would have won without all the turnovers, penalties, and dropped passes but the point remains...

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
Please. So the 3rd quarter was an anomaly?

We got our butts kicked by a better team with a phenomenal coach. We came in with a game plan that didn't work, and could not overcome.

Did you watch the New England game? That's the difference in coaching.

Trust me - Garrett gets most of the blame.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
He’s the head coach. Apparently you haven’t been watching or understanding the play calling...

We reverted to our old tendencies. Now we probably still would have won without all the turnovers, penalties, and dropped passes but the point remains...

Right, so Kellen is on fire, Garret hates it..so he jumps in to "save the day!!"

Guys, come on..

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
Trust me - Garrett gets most of the blame.

That's where I'm confused. We have 3 great games against sub par teams, and Kellens a genius. Now we crap the bed and it's Garret's fault?

I'm not trying to come off as crass, I'm just legitimately confused as to how it's not a group effort when it comes to failure.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'm not saying it wasn't Moore. I'm saying that what the Cowboys did was a replay of all the bad tendencies before Moore became OC, after 3 weeks of the offense doing the complete opposite.

I don't know who ordered the change (Garrett or Moore) but it's clear there was a huge shift away from what had been working great the first 3 weeks to the same old crap that has failed the team for years. And it predictably failed again.

Perfect example of why everyone hates Garrett and why he sucks as a coach. What happened in NO he did for years with no adjustments. If Moore cant change, then he will be hated as well.

sean10mm

Reaction score
It's a FACT that the play calling changed away from the new tendencies of the first 3 weeks and back to the old ones.

It's a FACT that this change failed.

And it's a FACT that the head coach has ultimate responsibility for what the team does on the field and what plays are called.

Maybe Moore is a kindred moron spirit to Garrett and just lucked into a good game plan for 3 weeks that he just forgot about for no reason in week 4. Or maybe Garrett overruled him. Either way, Garrett ultimately owns the failure because he's the boss.

csirl

Reaction score
It's simple. NFL has become very data orientated in recent years. There was no data on Moore's tendencies before game 1. Teams are now beginning to learn and adjust. This impacts on play calling - different looks are being shown by defenses than seasons start.