Stats they tell the story

sean10mm

Reaction score
It's simple. NFL has become very data orientated in recent years. There was no data on Moore's before game 1. Teams are now beginning to learn and adjust. This impacts on play calling - different looks are being shown by defenses than seasons start.

I love this kind of post because it says something that's literally true, but at the same time doesn't actually explain what happened AT ALL. It isn't even wrong, it's just... not relevant to what actually happened.

The Cowboys didn't run the same kind of offense in weeks 1-3 and have it fail.

The voluntarily gave up running that kind of offense to use a worse one that the Saints easily stuffed.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Cowboys pass rate in 1st/2nd down:

Week 1vs NYG: 69%
Week 2 @ Was: 64%
Week 3 vs. Mia: 53%
Week 4 @ NO: 50%

Dallas used play action on just 7 of 35 dropbacks (20%) against New Orleans.

The Cowboys had the 2nd highest play action rate (39%) in weeks 1-3 and this was their first game under 32% this season.

Dak on play action in week 4: 6-7 65 yards

The cowboys first down play balance prior to the final drive:

11 runs @ 1.9 YPA
8 passes @ 7.3 YPA

First Half Only:
7 runs @ 2.1 YPA (14% success)
3 passes @ 6.7 YPA (67% success)

On First down Kellen Moore went extremely conservative (70% run in 1H) It was a major mistake.
PA doesnt work when the Defense knows you cant run and dont BITE..they stayed in base defense most of the night stymied the run and made us one dimensional..you cant use RPO and PA as a weapon if the core part IE RUN game isnt working and the defense decides to say nope not biting..

lost of work to do to get back on track for GB..i think they will fix a lot of that..to me ot looked like they went back to 2018 NO Gameplan and said hey we beat them with that plan and against Brees, why not use it again.. it failed..

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
Anybody who has experience with vain corporate middle management types has seen stuff like this.

I've got 10+ years in the oil field and machining..it's quite opposite.. supervisors have no issue taking the glory for your hard work, yet you get the blame yourself if some
He’s the head coach. Apparently you haven’t been watching or understanding the play calling...

We reverted to our old tendencies. Now we probably still would have won without all the turnovers, penalties, and dropped passes but the point remains...

I apologize, I completely missed the second half of your statement and I couldn't agree more.

First and foremost, I don't like bringing in the "refs dictated the outcome of the game" into discussions because, in most cases, it's subjective.

That being said, poor fundamental football gets you nowhere but in the loss column. It's incredibly hard for a mediocre-ish good team to find a way of winning, when you're giving the ball away like free tequila shots on the streets of Mexico.

Discipline football wins ballgames and gets you into the playoffs, sloppy and irresponsible games get you nowhere.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The Cowboys had the 2nd highest play action rate (39%) in weeks 1-3 and this was their first game under 32% this season.

:facepalm:

Learn a lesson Kellen and let's not repeat week 3 again.

Stick with what works!!!

TheHerd

Reaction score
Cowboys pass rate in 1st/2nd down:

Week 1vs NYG: 69%
Week 2 @ Was: 64%
Week 3 vs. Mia: 53%
Week 4 @ NO: 50%

The cowboys first down play balance prior to the final drive:

11 runs @ 1.9 YPA
8 passes @ 7.3 YPA

First Half Only:
7 runs @ 2.1 YPA (14% success)
3 passes @ 6.7 YPA (67% success)

On First down Kellen Moore went extremely conservative (70% run in 1H) It was a major mistake.
Is Garrett getting more involved each week? Those numbers were slowly returning to Linehan numbers every game.