Status quo or shock and awe

Blitzen

Reaction score
Full disclosure: I have wanted the Cowboys to look for the next QB after the 2017 season, and was and still am opposed to any Dak extension. Since I have no control over it, there’s no reason to incessantly post about it though. It looks like the probability of him going to another team after this season is pretty high. All the interviews thus far seem to lay the groundwork to a potential divorce.

Moving on from a productive QB who still has a functional body is very out of character for this front office-no matter how much they cost. It would be a major diversion from their status quo.

I know it is very important to some of you that Dak continues to be the QB in Dallas after this season, and that you blame much of his lack of playoff success on the actions/inactions of the FO. My question is why is it so important to some of you that he remains QB on this team, when the same FO you blame for his failures is tasked with building a sufficient supporting cast to win in the postseason? Do you attribute recent regular season success to mostly Dak and postseason failures to mostly front office?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
In view of Dak's recent statements, it seems that a trade might be best for Dak and the team, as well.

The FO might be considering it, at this time. It's for certain that there are various factors favoring that.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
IMO it doesn’t really matter. We struggled having more success long before Dak arrived and I expect us to as long as Jethro & Son are running Cowboys Football.

Dak much like Romo just present fans someone else to blame . That doesn’t mean they don’t deserve some responsibility. But for an undrafted QB and 4th rounder , they haven’t done too poorly.

Probably have help prop up a franchise who would be more of a bottom feeder. Remember who we were wanting to draft in Lynch and Manziel not to mention our highest drafted QB pick this era with Quincy Carter.

Could we use an Elite QB? Of course. Does that solve all of our problems and do we believe this dysfunctional ownership can put it all together ? I doubt it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Anyone who watched that game with any measure of critical thinking could never believe in this group ever again.
For me I never believed in them . So I wasn’t as disappointed. I didn’t expect us to be blown out but I thought we were over hyped and had a good chance to be upset. And Packers were playing much better ball going into playoffs.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
In view of Dak's recent statements, it seems that a trade might be best for Dak and the team, as well.

The FO might be considering it, at this time. It's for certain that there are various factors favoring that.
How do you trade a player who has a full no-trade clause in his contract? The player will either re-sign with Dallas or leave after the 2024 season. Dallas at best will get a 3rd round comp pick.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s a real shame to not trade him for a couple of firsts and seconds. Next year he walks for free…
That is an understandable fear. I don't want just a comp pick for him. The Jones knows the situation. I don't see how they let him clean out his locker and walk away for free after this season.

Brax

Reaction score
That is an understandable fear. I don't want just a comp pick for him. The Jones knows the situation. I don't see how they let him clean out his locker and walk away for free after this season.
The only way to get him to agree to a trade is to bench him and make him the emergency QB and that’s not happening even if MM wants to start TL Jerry is vetoing it. Jerry signed the no trade no Tag clause like a fool and odds are he caves cause Dak holds all the cards, Jerry has zero leverage and got taken to the cleaners.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The only way to get him to agree to a trade is to bench him and make him the emergency QB and that’s not happening even if MM wants to start TL Jerry is vetoing it. Jerry signed the no trade no Tag clause like a fool and odds are he caves cause Dak holds all the cards, Jerry has zero leverage and got taken to the cleaners.
Threaten to cut him before week 1.

He has $29 mil in base salary

We could use the cap.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

We could use the cap.
so forgo even the comp pick and just hand him to FA and take the cap penalty? Dak would turn into the flash trying to get this done...He would get a MEGA 1 yr deal and still get FA while flipping Jerry the bird...lol

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Anyone who watched that game with any measure of critical thinking could never believe in this group ever again.
Yup. It was pathetic. I had a life long Dallas fan tell me the team was not soft... good lord...

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
How do you trade a player who has a full no-trade clause in his contract? The player will either re-sign with Dallas or leave after the 2024 season. Dallas at best will get a 3rd round comp pick.
Oops, I forgot about that -- looks like we're stuck with him then, doesn't it?! Now, there's something to look forward to!!! :facepalm:
Maybe there's a method to Jerry's madness -- perhaps he's hoping Dak will drop his no-trade clause, just to get away?! :grin:

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
After that Green Bay game, all of the faith I had in Dak is gone. I believe to win in Dallas,
(In spite of the Jones softening), you need a special coach and a special QB. I don't think they have either.
I ask myself if this team had Mahomes and Andy Reid would we win. Then I’m reminded the GM doesn’t prioritize the trenches specifically the interior….

montgod

Reaction score
If JJ/SJ see it's a foregone conclusion that he's gone, it would be smart if they'd ask Dak if he'd be open to be traded to somewhere like the Raiders this year who would most likely be very open to the idea and get more than a 3rd round comp. However, I don't see JJ/SJ being smart enough to figure this out so they'll most likely just overpay per the usual and then make excuses for the time remaining on his new deal for no one else being added via FA outside of the bargain bin. Or lose him for nothing and wait for comp pick as stated already.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Oops, I forgot about that -- looks like we're stuck with him then, doesn't it?! Now, there's something to look forward to!!! :facepalm:
Maybe there's a method to Jerry's madness -- perhaps he's hoping Dak will drop his no-trade clause, just to get away?! :grin:
I think it’s in his best interest to stay in Dallas and bolt after this year.

Brax

Reaction score

We could use the cap.
Should have done that before the new league year could saved another 5 million. Imho Jerry is paying Dak and the fan base who Jerry and Dak don’t care about will continue to suffer

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think it’s in his best interest to stay in Dallas and bolt after this year.
Not sure I can stand to see him stick around and be put to seeing him tease us for another year, though. Yikes! It's just a mess.

Last edited: