News: Staubach and Aikman back Dak

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
QBs that carry their team should be paid even though they struggle themselves to ever win again because most of them do it on rookie deals.

Paying a guy like Dak? You don’t even have the championship to show for his rookie deal and you’re going to stack the odds even higher against the team.

The QB market has become the market of stupidity and the NFL has so many young talented QBs on rookie deals and Vets taking paycuts to win titles that paying Dak puts us at a serious disadvantage.

On top of that a lot of you don’t want to tank and possibly at the least have an option for more cheap quality players.

But Jerry will do it that way and we will stack the years of no championships or real playoff success up over and over and over.

The Dallas Cowboys are stuck in the middle and nobody wants to do anything to stop that from happening.
Again the idea that QBs routinely carry their team on their backs is overstated, but aside from that, most QBs don't win on their rookie deal, yet teams retain them as long as they are a high level QB. It's not just the Tom Brady, Pat Mahomes level QBs that have huge success right away that get a second contract.

Ultimately it's about a team allocating it's resources the best way it can, and yes, paying Dak could limit the money to spread around on free agents, but it also reduces the draft capital that can be spent on other positions because it forces the team to go all in on a QB, and of course, college players still have to prove themselves at the pro level.

Isn't it possible the team could pay Dak, and instead of building defense with high priced free agents do so by maximizing the value of the top 10 (maybe top 5) draft pick the team will have. They could potentially trade back and have a couple of first round picks and some added picks later in the draft.

Maybe that wouldn't be better, but maybe it would. The point is there isn't just one way to think about it.

Last edited:

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
You Dak homers just love to argue for the sake of arguing. Your claim is rooted completely in the fact he was 'injured' and 'couldn't play anymore'. That is completely false and multiple teams inquired about him playing PERIOD. So I was right yet again...

LOL whatever keeps you warm at night man, just know if Romo was healthy he would have been a starting QB on a team, there is no doubt, he and his family had a discussion and they decided the booth was better than chancing paralysis.....its really not that hard to comprehend

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
LOL whatever keeps you warm at night man, just know if Romo was healthy he would have been a starting QB on a team, there is no doubt, he and his family had a discussion and they decided the booth was better than chancing paralysis.....its really not that hard to comprehend
I could be mistaken, but I thought I remembered him saying he didn't want to play for anyone but the Cowboys...which is not to say another team would or wouldn't have signed him as their starter. But judging by the way he methodically drove the team to a TD on his only series against the Eagles, which neither of the other QBs could manage, he was clearly the better QB to finish out the season. I think it was a mistake not to allow him to compete for the job, which was his before the injury.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Baseless...wait you think Romo said "if I cant play for Dallas I aint playing" as he is pissed they "did him dirty" so which is it....did he love the Cowboys so much that he couldn't bring himself to dawn another Jersey or did they do him dirty?
As much as I hate to side with Kilahdi, I believe his is right that Romo simply chose not to start over with another team, especially given that he was offered the opportunity to step immediately into a prime broadcasting gig.

I don't know if Romo was pissed at Dallas, although I'm sure he was disappointed at how things ended, and I don't think his decision was about his love for Dallas being too great to consider wearing another jersey, I think it was that he established his home in the Dallas area, he had young kids at home to spend time with, he had an opportunity to step into a prime broadcasting gig, and he felt like he was making the best decision for his family.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I could be mistaken, but I thought I remembered him saying he didn't want to play for anyone but the Cowboys...which is not to say another team would or wouldn't have signed him as their starter. But judging by the way he methodically drove the team to a TD on his only series against the Eagles, which neither of the other QBs could manage, he was clearly the better QB to finish out the season. I think it was a mistake not to allow him to compete for the job, which was his before the injury.

he was a packer fan.....brett farvvvvrree was his hero....and Im not saying it was the right call to play Dak in the playoffs, but I'm also not going to judge the situation on one drive at the end of the eagles game either. We lost so given the chance to change the call we probably should to see what happens. Romo is SUPER COMPETITIVE if he had no health issues he would've been starting on another team no doubt. Like he probably would've loved to start on a Commanders team to stick it to Garrett and Jerry for sure, again the man was getting back injuries on 1 hit in games, I'm not sure why its so hard to see that he and his family made the right call.....

jnday

Reaction score
Why do I need to guarantee that? I just need it to be significantly lower than 30 million the next year or two. Then when the new TV deal kicks in and the cap jumps 50-100 million a year by some estimates.. his salary and cap hit can rise accordingly. I'm sorry your understanding of the cap does not allow you to "believe" that the cap hit can be made much lower in years one and two. I can't help you with that.. Yes Dak would still be more expensive than Lawrence even if his cap hit is 15 million next year and 25 the next.. You know what else he will most likely be? A better NFL QB.. And by virtue of signing Dak the Cowboys will be free to take the best defensive playmaker on the board with their top 5 pick.. and not hope that the shiny new toy QB will instantly upgrade the league's worst scoring defense..
You are the one spouting off about guarantees. I only asked if you meant it. The salary cap is expected to go down, not up. TV ratings in down by a big margin and attendance is severely limited. The TV ratings tanked due to politics being brought into the game and TV networks have taken notice. You need to check the quality of defensive draft prospects as well. There is not a defensive player in the coming draft that is rated in the top five. Picking defense that early will be reaching and selecting a player that is rated 10-15th with a top five pick, just so you can say you picked defense, is poor drafting and reaching , which is poor value. Lawrence is a tier or two above Dak in potential and talent, so the Cowboys would be stupid to pass on him. For that matter, Wilson from BYU would be cheaper and he has a higher ceiling than Dak. I can’t understand why Dak lovers are willing to put the whole team in salary cap hell for the next several years to sign Dak, which will prevent the team from being able to afford to upgrade the defense and till other positions that needs upgraded. I guess that is what happens when they are more fans of Dak than they are Cowboys fans as a team.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Is Dak’s cap hit going to be $15 million every year for the next four years? Even then, Dak would be more expensive than Lawrence. If Dak is not going to be $15 million a year for the next four years, your post is useless. I have problems believing that $40 million a year in salary will only count $15 million a year against the cap. Are you guaranteeing that the $15 million a year is all that he will count against the cap for the next four years? If so, the salary cap is useless and there is no need to be concerned with it every year , or is Dak some special , otherworldly player, that salary cap rules do not apply to? I know you Dak lovers think he he special and I would agree with you if his $40 million dollar cap hit translates to $15 million every year.

Its not 40 million a year its 35 million. 31 million this year. Even if franchised again its 37 million. And yah, if its over a longer contract, then the first few years will be much less on the cap and higher as the cap goes up. Contract 101.

I would rather see you complain about Zeke getting 15 million and Jaylon Smith getting 13 million. There is 28 million right there that is completely wasted. Crawford another 8 million. Take away those 3 players there and you dont lose anything paying your top 7 QB.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
he was a packer fan.....brett farvvvvrree was his hero....and Im not saying it was the right call to play Dak in the playoffs, but I'm also not going to judge the situation on one drive at the end of the eagles game either. We lost so given the chance to change the call we probably should to see what happens. Romo is SUPER COMPETITIVE if he had no health issues he would've been starting on another team no doubt. Like he probably would've loved to start on a Commanders team to stick it to Garrett and Jerry for sure, again the man was getting back injuries on 1 hit in games, I'm not sure why its so hard to see that he and his family made the right call.....
I'm not saying they didn't make the right call. I'm just adding information and a bit of my opinion. Lol

Absolutely, it was best for him to retire, but I think if he'd chosen not to, he certainly would have been signed by someone.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You are the one spouting off about guarantees. I only asked if you meant it. The salary cap is expected to go down, not up. TV ratings in down by a big margin and attendance is severely limited. The TV ratings tanked due to politics being brought into the game and TV networks have taken notice. You need to check the quality of defensive draft prospects as well. There is not a defensive player in the coming draft that is rated in the top five. Picking defense that early will be reaching and selecting a player that is rated 10-15th with a top five pick, just so you can say you picked defense, is poor drafting and reaching , which is poor value. Lawrence is a tier or two above Dak in potential and talent, so the Cowboys would be stupid to pass on him. For that matter, Wilson from BYU would be cheaper and he has a higher ceiling than Dak. I can’t understand why Dak lovers are willing to put the whole team in salary cap hell for the next several years to sign Dak, which will prevent the team from being able to afford to upgrade the defense and till other positions that needs upgraded. I guess that is what happens when they are more fans of Dak than they are Cowboys fans as a team.

LOL........you dont like Dak, but Lawrence is all fine by your high standards? Thats laughable.

What is Lawrence doing for this franchise? Not much. With Dak they are in every single game and scoring 37 points per game against the best teams in the NFL.

Lawrence does what exactly? Even with Lawrence our defense has been garbage. If guys like Lawrence actually did their job the first 4 or 5 games of this year, the Cowboys would have been 5-1.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I'm not saying they didn't make the right call. I'm just adding information and a bit of my opinion. Lol

Absolutely, it was best for him to retire, but I think if he'd chosen not to, he certainly would have been signed by someone.

I agree he would've started on many teams had he not chose to retire, but the retirement had to do with injuries more than disappointment over Dallas...I'm sure his wife had a major factor in that desicion.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I agree he would've started on many teams had he not chose to retire, but the retirement had to do with injuries more than disappointment over Dallas...I'm sure his wife had a major factor in that desicion.
I'm sure she did...as well as his desire to spend time with his kids while he could still play with them.

shabazz

Reaction score
you really think he will be gone? If I had to bet $ I'd day he will stay, but what do I know. It will be interesting no matter what.

For a price that’s commensurate with his actual talent level and a much, much improved defense; it could be a recipe for success.

Hell, even Doug Williams won a Super Bowl

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score

Exactamundo.....Tony was so fragile that any kind of a solid hit could put him out of commission for a while. Or worse.... But kudos for him on hitting it big time in the broadcasting gig.....living the good life now.

jnday

Reaction score
Its not 40 million a year its 35 million. 31 million this year. Even if franchised again its 37 million. And yah, if its over a longer contract, then the first few years will be much less on the cap and higher as the cap goes up. Contract 101.

I would rather see you complain about Zeke getting 15 million and Jaylon Smith getting 13 million. There is 28 million right there that is completely wasted. Crawford another 8 million. Take away those 3 players there and you dont lose anything paying your top 7 QB.
I fully expect Dak to sign for somewhere around $40 million a year if the Cowboys resign him. Zeke, DLaw , Cooper and Jaylon have contracts that has caused some regrets, so I fully expect signing Dak will just be another contract that the team will regret sooner rather than later. Considering the percentage of the salary cap that Dak’s contract will take up, I think it will cause more regret than all the other contracts combined when it totally prevents having salary cap room to build the rest of the team. Teams that have handed out these huge QB contracts have not had much success winning championships and I don’t see the Cowboys as being any different.

jnday

Reaction score
LOL........you dont like Dak, but Lawrence is all fine by your high standards? Thats laughable.

What is Lawrence doing for this franchise? Not much. With Dak they are in every single game and scoring 37 points per game against the best teams in the NFL.

Lawrence does what exactly? Even with Lawrence our defense has been garbage. If guys like Lawrence actually did their job the first 4 or 5 games of this year, the Cowboys would have been 5-1.
I wasn’t referring to DLaw. I was referring to Cameron Lawrence, the top QB prospect that is in the upcoming draft. Since you mentioned it, I gave a huge problem with DLaw’s contract and I was against it since the day it was signed. I see where several posters are defending DLaw as of late, but $20+ million a year for a good run defender is ludicrous. DLaw hasn’t come close to playing up to his contract since he signed it. Dallas is not good about picking out players that deserve these big money deals. It seems like the players never play up to the level that they played at before they got paid.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I wasn’t referring to DLaw. I was referring to Cameron Lawrence, the top QB prospect that is in the upcoming draft. Since you mentioned it, I gave a huge problem with DLaw’s contract and I was against it since the day it was signed. I see where several posters are defending DLaw as of late, but $20+ million a year for a good run defender is ludicrous. DLaw hasn’t come close to playing up to his contract since he signed it. Dallas is not good about picking out players that deserve these big money deals. It seems like the players never play up to the level that they played at before they got paid.

Who? Never heard of this guy.. but he's not Dak Prescott.. so let's draft him..

RonnieT24

Reaction score

Thanks.. I wasn't about to try and explain how the cap works to this guy again.. If he doesn't get it by now he never will.. Though I am certain he fully understands but is being purposely obtuse..

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I don’t hate him. I like Dak a lot.

The problem is winning a championship with him while taking up a ton of cap space like he is an elite player.

Dak goes as the team goes and he has proven that he needs to be carried to a championship. He is not the carrier.

So name all the Super Bowl winners that a QB did it all by himself? He didn't have have at least an above average OL, a defense that was ranked at least in the top 10 or 12, a team that has positive number on turnovers, a team that isn't among the teams with the most penalties called on them? There hasn't been a single QB that hasn't needed the help of the rest of his team to win a Super Bowl, conversely there have been teams to win a Super Bowl without a top QB.

Next is proof that Prescott will not cripple next year's cap even though it will be smaller than this year's cap. In normal years teams are allowed to carryover only 5% of that years cap to the next season. This year the owners because of the entire situation of the virus has approved for just this season to allow unlimited amount of carryover The Cowboys will carryover about 25 mil.

Now back on July 15th in the last hour or so teams could sign players on the tag to long term contracts, Prescott was doing his own negotiating and they agreed upon 35 mil a year salary but couldn't get the guaranteed amount done in time.

Now taking the dollar amount of 35 mil and subtracting the 25 mil carryover that leaves only 10 mil off next year's cap amount and that isn't going to cripple the Cowboys.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
If one takes emotions out of the equation, Jerry has shown that once he locks on to a player, he signs him at any cost

He wasn’t sold on DeMarco and he’s let him hit the bricks. With Dakota, he has already shown that he’s not sold on him for what Dakota has demanded and that the franchise tag is just a stop gap because they had no other options, at least for the short term

The only scenario I see in which Dakota stays is if he is franchised one more season or if Rayne lowers his demands to The FO’s liking.

Some of us can discuss Rayne and not be emotional about it while sadly others can’t. A lot less arguments and uncivil discourse could be avoided this way

You've taken a huge giant leap in your thinking on something you have less than zero first hand knowledge on. For you to say that Jones opinion on Prescott has changed or are not truthful with less than zero first hand knowledge from having personal discussions with Jones is nothing more than you and the theory you have in YOUR mind which is the COMPLETE opposite of what Jones has said publicly repeatedly.

Here's another hole in your theory. There have been MANY teams that before free agency starts try to sign a player and when it doesn't happen they offer the franchise tag and doing that IN NO WAY signifies that they lost interest in the player or are considering alternatives. It means that they are PROTECTING themselves from other teams trying sign that player, giving them more time to work out a long term contract. Now if it turns out that the Cowboys have to offer a second tag to protect themselves from other teams trying to sign him there have been players who have signed a second tag and were signed to the team on a long term contract. In fact it happened right here in Dallas when Lawrence was tag a second time and then a week later signed a long term contract.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I fully expect Dak to sign for somewhere around $40 million a year if the Cowboys resign him. Zeke, DLaw , Cooper and Jaylon have contracts that has caused some regrets, so I fully expect signing Dak will just be another contract that the team will regret sooner rather than later. Considering the percentage of the salary cap that Dak’s contract will take up, I think it will cause more regret than all the other contracts combined when it totally prevents having salary cap room to build the rest of the team. Teams that have handed out these huge QB contracts have not had much success winning championships and I don’t see the Cowboys as being any different.

So its all about money for you? So Mahomes, Wilson, ect....ect... you wouldnt even pay?