News: Staubach and Aikman back Dak

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That team was like 10-1 when he made his speech.. and had won 10 in a row. I understand why Romo might have felt the need to do what he did.. I just don't think he should have done it. The best thing for the team is for the best players to play. If he was better than Dak then it would have been better for him to play.. Period. If he wasn't then fine.. Anyone who has been around Dak for 5 minutes should have known that giving Romo the opportunity to guide the ship for at least one game was not going to do anything to Dak's pysche. Nor would it have divided the team.. because most football players understand and live by the credo that if a man loses his job due to injury he should at least get a chance to get it back. It would have been different if Dak had played at a level Romo had never reached.. But he didn't.. Romo in his last full season was better than Dak had been that year.. That's just the truth.. so as good as the team was playing with Dak there was chance it could perform even better with Romo. Again, the only way to screw it up would be not to find the answer to that question..

Let's say Dalton somehow puts together a nice 6-1 or 5-2 run against this putrid schedule we face down the stretch while scoring say 20 ppg but the defense suddenly only gives up 17 a game.. other than a couple dozen "Anybody but Dak" fans would anybody really feel like we should just keep Dalton as our QB and dump Dak? I would imagine that most sane fans would see that Dalton was simply the beneficiary of better defense.. but I guess you never know..
What you aren't considering is (a) earlier in the year Jerry had said Romo would have the job back when healthy, and (b) regardless of who the team stuck with the media was going to try and make a circus of it because that's what they d0 - stir things up to suck in the consumer.

It's easy to say what's "best for the team is for the best players to play", but not everyone agreed on that. It doesn't even seem you are agreed with yourself on it because on the one hand you are saying that whoever is the better player should play, and if it's Dak, that's fine, and on the other hand you are saying a player should never lose his job when he gets injured.

And what about the locker room? I imagine some were in favor of sticking with who brung them to the dance, and others were loyal to the QB they had played with for years.

And, again, the media sure wasn't going to take a consistent stand one way or the other. That's not how they draw interest to their product. They were going to stir the pot and long and hard as they could.

I see no fault in Romo trying to quiet this circus for the sake of the team.

Dalton and Dak is not remotely the same scenario as Dak and Romo. Romo was aging and had been repeatedly injured over a couple of years, and Dak was having great success and was young and hope for a longer term solution. Today Dalton is the old guy, not the young hope for the future, and neither he or the team has had any success since Dak went down.

jnday

Reaction score
Die with the lie right.. If Dak signs a 5 year deal I can all but guarantee you his cap hit will be less than 15 million next year.. Because they will take whatever is signing bonus is and spread it out over the life of the contract. His base salary will be basically 1 million and the cap hit will be that plus 1/5 of the bonus. It has been done a thousand times in the NFL so I really don't get people acting like for Dak's contract it won't be possible all of a sudden. Go look up the cap hits for Wentz, Russ, Goff and Watson in the first year or two of their deals. They were tiny and escalate as they move forward. This was done in anticipation of the cap growing and the new TV deal approaching in 2024 at which point the Cap is expected to jump like 40-50%. And these QBs making 30-40 million a years will be a much smaller chunk of it. Dak's camp was trying to keep his contract under that 2024 wire as well. They wanted to be back on the market that year.. Jerry and the Cowboys wanted to stay out of that bidding war year. Understandably so.. In the end it sounds like they both came to their senses.. Jerry offered a mega salary (reportedly 45-50 million) in year 5 as well as bumping up the guaranteed money significantly, and Dak accepted the 5 year deal. The two just waited too long to come to the table which is why Dak now has a new agent. The agent screwed up that deal by playing hardball with Jerry.. Generally speaking the guy with the 10 billion in assets is going to win any stare down over money. Unless the guy on the other side of the table has 20 billion in assets.. ;-)
Is Dak’s cap hit going to be $15 million every year for the next four years? Even then, Dak would be more expensive than Lawrence. If Dak is not going to be $15 million a year for the next four years, your post is useless. I have problems believing that $40 million a year in salary will only count $15 million a year against the cap. Are you guaranteeing that the $15 million a year is all that he will count against the cap for the next four years? If so, the salary cap is useless and there is no need to be concerned with it every year , or is Dak some special , otherworldly player, that salary cap rules do not apply to? I know you Dak lovers think he he special and I would agree with you if his $40 million dollar cap hit translates to $15 million every year.

Last edited:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
What you aren't considering is (a) earlier in the year Jerry had said Romo would have the job back when healthy, and (b) regardless of who the team stuck with the media was going to try and make a circus of it because that's what they d0 - stir things up to suck in the consumer.

It's easy to say what's "best for the team is for the best players to play", but not everyone agreed on that. It doesn't even seem you are agreed with yourself on it because on the one hand you are saying that whoever is the better player should play, and if it's Dak, that's fine, and on the other hand you are saying a player should never lose his job when he gets injured.

And what about the locker room? I imagine some were in favor of sticking with who brung them to the dance, and others were loyal to the QB they had played with for years.

And, again, the media sure wasn't going to take a consistent stand one way or the other. That's not how they draw interest to their product. They were going to stir the pot and long and hard as they could.

I see no fault in Romo trying to quiet this circus for the sake of the team.

Dalton and Dak is not remotely the same scenario as Dak and Romo. Romo was aging and had been repeatedly injured over a couple of years, and Dak was having great success and was young and hope for a longer term solution. Today Dalton is the old guy, not the young hope for the future, and neither he or the team has had any success since Dak went down.

Remember that old commercial where the coach said "Never let the media pick your starting QB?" That's what I think of the whole media was going to make a circus out of it argument. F the media. We know their agenda is to create as much controversy as possible at the Cowboys expense because that's what gets them paid. I have not been the least bit inconsistent in my stance. Romo was the incumbent starter who in his last full season had led the NFL in passing efficiency and QBR. He didn't play his way out of his job.. he got knocked out of it. If you have ever been in any football locker room you know guys are loyal above most anything else. Sure the young bucks who had never played with Romo didn't care if he was brought back but I guarantee you the guys who had been through wars with him would have had no problem seeing what he could do.. Maybe he comes out and falls on his face .. to a man they would have said "Well he got his shot the team was fair to him.. Okay Dak, let's go win this thing..." If he balls out and goes for 400 yards and 5 TDs then they all go.. "Damn he's even better than I remembered.. Okay Tony, let's go win this thing.." What the media did or didn't say about it would not have mattered one bit. Maybe for moron fans.. but not for the players. Every one of them if asked would say "I'm good with whoever the coaches put out there.." Including Dak..

khiladi

Reaction score
Except this past off season where Prescott and Elliott were at a party when the virus first started, Prescott wasn't known as a party boy. His rookie year he wasn't out partying and didn't have a reputation of doing so. All you're doing is showing your hatred for Prescott with fake news.

He got jumped partying in Spring Break in college. He also got a DUI. This was him in 2017 down below. They were also partying in Key West with the OL in 2018.All this stuff is pretty much public news.

Whether he partied or not, I could care less. But yeah, the team chose the guy they liked to hang with. Then you got players like Hatcher, meaning players clearly got their own agendas, having a problem that Romo minded his own business and had his own private life.

Last edited:

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Agree with the first part of this. An adults prospective

The 2nd part of this is highly unlikely though. If it was true, he would have been signed already. The best Dakota will get is a 2nd franchise tag......but I believe he won’t even get offered that. He will be replaced
you really think he will be gone? If I had to bet $ I'd day he will stay, but what do I know. It will be interesting no matter what.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Is Dak’s cap hit going to be $15 million every year for the next four years? Even then, Dak would be more expensive than Lawrence. If Dak is not going to be $15 million a year for the next four years, your post is useless. I have problems believing that $40 million a year in salary will only count $15 million a year against the cap. Are you guaranteeing that the $15 million a year is all that he will count against the cap for the next four years? If so, the salary cap is useless and there is no need to be concerned with it every year , or is Dak some special , otherworldly player, that salary cap rules do not apply to? I know you Dak lovers think he he special and I would agree with you if his $40 million dollar cap hit translates to $15 million every year.

Why do I need to guarantee that? I just need it to be significantly lower than 30 million the next year or two. Then when the new TV deal kicks in and the cap jumps 50-100 million a year by some estimates.. his salary and cap hit can rise accordingly. I'm sorry your understanding of the cap does not allow you to "believe" that the cap hit can be made much lower in years one and two. I can't help you with that.. Yes Dak would still be more expensive than Lawrence even if his cap hit is 15 million next year and 25 the next.. You know what else he will most likely be? A better NFL QB.. And by virtue of signing Dak the Cowboys will be free to take the best defensive playmaker on the board with their top 5 pick.. and not hope that the shiny new toy QB will instantly upgrade the league's worst scoring defense..

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Remember that old commercial where the coach said "Never let the media pick your starting QB?" That's what I think of the whole media was going to make a circus out of it argument. F the media. We know their agenda is to create as much controversy as possible at the Cowboys expense because that's what gets them paid. I have not been the least bit inconsistent in my stance. Romo was the incumbent starter who in his last full season had led the NFL in passing efficiency and QBR. He didn't play his way out of his job.. he got knocked out of it. If you have ever been in any football locker room you know guys are loyal above most anything else. Sure the young bucks who had never played with Romo didn't care if he was brought back but I guarantee you the guys who had been through wars with him would have had no problem seeing what he could do.. Maybe he comes out and falls on his face .. to a man they would have said "Well he got his shot the team was fair to him.. Okay Dak, let's go win this thing..." If he balls out and goes for 400 yards and 5 TDs then they all go.. "Damn he's even better than I remembered.. Okay Tony, let's go win this thing.." What the media did or didn't say about it would not have mattered one bit. Maybe for moron fans.. but not for the players. Every one of them if asked would say "I'm good with whoever the coaches put out there.." Including Dak..
I wasn't suggesting the media should pick the QB, nor do I think the team let the media pick the QB. The team made the choice. You seem to think the question was still unsettled before Romo made his statement, but that wasn't the case.

But it's naïve to think the media doesn't have the ability to inflame fans and players. It happens all the time. If that can be stopped or limited, why wouldn't someone do that? Romo apparently felt he could stop or limit that, and wanted the team to have a chance to finish out the season without being divided in the locker room. I fail to see how that is anything but admirable. Hell, he could have acted indignant or slighted and promoted dissension, but his interest was in supporting the team.

As for you making the case for keeping Romo in the starting role, that's irrelevant to the conversation. Whether the change was the right or wrong move, that was the move the team decided on, and Romo had to react to that decision. It would have made no sense for him to act as if there was an open competition for the job because there wasn't.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Out of all the problems with the team Dak is way, way down on the list. I don't understand the hate for him.

I don’t hate him. I like Dak a lot.

The problem is winning a championship with him while taking up a ton of cap space like he is an elite player.

Dak goes as the team goes and he has proven that he needs to be carried to a championship. He is not the carrier.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I fully understand not messing with your mojo.. but if they were so concerned about it why did they rest Zeke in the last game of the season and pull Dak after one series. I just think Garrett and Co. handled that situation poorly. If they had done a better job Romo could have had a fairly tale ending.. the Cowboys could have had another Lombardi AND have their QB of the future ready to step in. Talk about a win for everybody!!

I know you know Cowboy history better than that. The last game of the 2016 season the Cowboys already had home field locked up so it was rest Elliott and then Prescott after the first series. Lots of teams in the same situation do the very same thing. Romo knew Prescott was going to be the QB in 2017 so they gave Romo one last time to lead the team

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Usually it's me. :) but it seems the recent discovery we're both ww2 history buffs has curtailed tensions.

Yes. We plan to vacation together and introduce him to aunt Miley and cousin Stu. They wanted me to break from that hallway house crowd.

And can't wait to tell my new best friend about the folly of Heidler's 1,600-mile supply line to Stalingrad.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
He got jumped partying in Spring Break in college. He also got a DUI. This was him in 2017 down below. They were also partying in Key West with the OL in 2018.All this stuff is pretty much public news.

Whether he partied or not, I could care less. But yeah, the team chose the guy they liked to hang with. Then you got players like Hatcher, meaning players clearly got their own agendas, having a problem that Romo minded his own business and had his own private life.

Again your Prescott hatred is out loud and strong. Prescott was NEVER CONVICTED for that DUI and your implication that when Prescott got jumped he was at some party all drunk when he and a couple of his team mates were at a concert. Oh that's being such a bad boy - not. Now try to find something he did with Cowboys team mates in Dallas during the season to back up your really weak statement that it was only young players who you think hung out with Prescott that management asked who they prefer when in actuality the team leaders were asked.

Don't bother to reply because all you're doing is spewing hatred and I'll just ignore you.

khiladi

Reaction score
Again your Prescott hatred is out loud and strong. Prescott was NEVER CONVICTED for that DUI and your implication that when Prescott got jumped he was at some party all drunk when he and a couple of his team mates were at a concert. Oh that's being such a bad boy - not. Now try to find something he did with Cowboys team mates in Dallas during the season to back up your really weak statement that it was only young players who you think hung out with Prescott that management asked who they prefer when in actuality the team leaders were asked.

Don't bother to reply because all you're doing is spewing hatred and I'll just ignore you.

Conviction has nothing to do with the fact he half-heartedly apologized on his Twitter for driving drunk.
OJ also wasn’t convicted.. The fact is your claim Dak wasn’t a guy that liked to party and it only happened in 2020 is wrong.

I don’t care who the team chose. It’s clear they were wrong and the decision was idiotic.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t hate him. I like Dak a lot.

The problem is winning a championship with him while taking up a ton of cap space like he is an elite player.

Dak goes as the team goes and he has proven that he needs to be carried to a championship. He is not the carrier.
There are moments that would support this view, but there are also moments that suggest otherwise, like this year where the team averaged 33 points per game with Dak as the starter, and has averaged 10 points per game without him.

And, realistically, the idea of QBs carrying teams on their backs is overblown. Sure a Mahomes or Rodgers can elevate a team, but they aren't flying solo. And even so, you can't just grab a rare player like anytime you feel like it. If a team isn't careful they could end up with a much worse QB situation.

The concern about how to pay everyone is obviously a factor that has to be weighed though. Of course, building the defense isn't just a matter of grabbing a bunch of high priced free agents. That's not really a good building tool. There is also the draft, and of course, if Dak is signed the team will likely have very high draft picks to use on defense, which lessens the need for spending big money on free agents. So the team has to decide - dump Dak and take a chance on a prospect coming out of college and use the money saved on free agents, or pay Dak and use the premium draft picks to build other positions.

Last edited:

shabazz

Reaction score
you really think he will be gone? If I had to bet $ I'd day he will stay, but what do I know. It will be interesting no matter what.

If one takes emotions out of the equation, Jerry has shown that once he locks on to a player, he signs him at any cost

He wasn’t sold on DeMarco and he’s let him hit the bricks. With Dakota, he has already shown that he’s not sold on him for what Dakota has demanded and that the franchise tag is just a stop gap because they had no other options, at least for the short term

The only scenario I see in which Dakota stays is if he is franchised one more season or if Rayne lowers his demands to The FO’s liking.

Some of us can discuss Rayne and not be emotional about it while sadly others can’t. A lot less arguments and uncivil discourse could be avoided this way

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
There are moments that would support this view, but there are also moments that suggest otherwise, like this year where the team averaged 33 points per game with Dak as the starter, and has averaged 10 points per game without him.

And, realistically, the idea of QBs carrying teams on their backs is overblown. Sure a Mahomes or Rodgers can elevate a team, but they aren't flying solo. And even so, you can't just grab a rare player like anytime you feel like it. If a team isn't careful they could end up with a much worse QB situation.

The concern about how to pay everyone is obviously a factor that has to be weighed though. Of course, building the defense isn't just a matter of grabbing a bunch of high priced free agents. That's not really a good building tool. There is also the draft, and of course, if Dak is signed the team will likely have very high draft picks to use on defense, which lessens the need for spending big money on free agents. So the team has to decide - dump Dak and take a chance on a prospect coming out of college and use the money saved on free agents, or pay Dak and use the premium draft picks to build other positions.

QBs that carry their team should be paid even though they struggle themselves to ever win again because most of them do it on rookie deals.

Paying a guy like Dak? You don’t even have the championship to show for his rookie deal and you’re going to stack the odds even higher against the team.

The QB market has become the market of stupidity and the NFL has so many young talented QBs on rookie deals and Vets taking paycuts to win titles that paying Dak puts us at a serious disadvantage.

On top of that a lot of you don’t want to tank and possibly at the least have an option for more cheap quality players.

But Jerry will do it that way and we will stack the years of no championships or real playoff success up over and over and over.

The Dallas Cowboys are stuck in the middle and nobody wants to do anything to stop that from happening.