Staubach and Dorsett were far better than Aikman and Emmitt

Badattitude

Benched
Reaction score
They played in a better Era of Football....they lost to Legendary teams and they beat Legendary teams...neither Troy or Emmitt did that.
Emmitt is a very good back who wound up with Great Numbers, mainly b/c of his Fullback on massive All Pro OL...and partially b/c he was a very selfish player....a very good one...but a "me me" guy first and foremost. And every Dallas writer has backed that up.
Troy was a winner, and prolly could have and would have had much better numbers had he played in a "less" balanced Offense than he did here.
Roger was Breathtaking..that's all I can say..he brought you to your feet....Tony D only averaged 17 touches a game....the best breakaway runner I've ever seen...as well as the best screen back ever IMO.
Just had to get that out there.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Man thats like comparing a $45 steak to a $50 steak.

All are greats and subject to different opinions. My opinion Aikman, Smith Cowboys the more dominant team.

Madzo

The Gunshow
Reaction score
Too bad Aikman and Emmitt played on The Dallas Cowboys and won them 3 superbowl victories.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Badattitude said:
They played in a better Era of Football....they lost to Legendary teams and they beat Legendary teams...neither Troy or Emmitt did that.
Emmitt is a very good back who wound up with Great Numbers, mainly b/c of his Fullback on massive All Pro OL...and partially b/c he was a very selfish player....a very good one...but a "me me" guy first and foremost. And every Dallas writer has backed that up.
Troy was a winner, and prolly could have and would have had much better numbers had he played in a "less" balanced Offense than he did here.
Roger was Breathtaking..that's all I can say..he brought you to your feet....Tony D only averaged 17 touches a game....the best breakaway runner I've ever seen...as well as the best screen back ever IMO.

I don't know where you get the ME ME stuff on Emmitt I have never heard of him refered to like that......

Roger and Tony were great as you said different era......

Troy and Emmitt had great opposition as much so as Roger and Tony......Your opinion is well your opinion I don't agree but to each there own....

Hoov

Reaction score
Badattitude said:

E Smith was a very good back who put up good numbers ???? get of the C**** dude. Nate Newtown hinself said he was an average gurad till Emmitt came along. That Post was a disgrace to yourself and your knowledge to football in general. 22 is being compared to sweetness and his owm peers give him props. you can argue it was the O-Line but how often was Aikmen getting TRASHED behind that O-Line until Emmitt broke out. Tell me, who was the best O_Lineman during Emmitts career.....Nate who was overweight every year reporting to camp >? Posibly E Williams untill he hurt himself and was never the same...Tell me.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Nors said:
Man thats like comparing a $45 steak to a $50 steak.

All are greats and subject to different opinions. My opinion Aikman, Smith Cowboys the more dominant team.

Actually... it's like comparing $50 steak to a $50 steak... ;)

Staubach and Dorsett could play this game today... I have NO doubts...

Prime beef is prime beef... :D

Badattitude

Benched
Reaction score
Hoov said:
E Smith was a very good back who put up good numbers ???? get of the C**** dude. Nate Newtown hinself said he was an average gurad till Emmitt came along. That Post was a disgrace to yourself and your knowledge to football in general. 22 is being compared to sweetness and his owm peers give him props. you can argue it was the O-Line but how often was Aikmen getting TRASHED behind that O-Line until Emmitt broke out. Tell me, who was the best O_Lineman during Emmitts career.....Nate who was overweight every year reporting to camp >? Posibly E Williams untill he hurt himself and was never the same...Tell me.
First off...I said he was a good back,who put up Great numbers.
Second...Tuinei Newton Stepnoski Gogan Williams then Allen etc were as it good and as there was and as big (except Step)as there was and just about is today.
Third...Your classification of Nate as fat...has no basis on his performance. When you consider the fact he's mentioned as arguably the best pulling guard of his time and one of the all time great pulling guards. But you wouldn't know that ...would you.
Emmitt would not have had the career he had , if he were a NY Jet. Tony D would have.
It's Aikm"a"n by the way.

Hoov

Reaction score
Badattitude said:
Second...Tuinei Newton Stepnoski Gogan Williams then Allen etc were as it good and as there was and as big (except Step)as there was and just about is today.
Third...Your classification of Nate as fat...has no basis on his performance. When you consider the fact he's mentioned as arguably the best pulling guard of his time and one of the all time great pulling guards. But you wouldn't know that ...would you.
Emmitt would not have had the career he had , if he were a NY Jet. Tony D would have.

Sorry for the typo, I shouldn't post after a bottle of wine and 4 long island teas

Hoov

Reaction score
Badattitude said:

Of course Smiths career would have been different if he was on another team. But you think another "good" back would have had just as good a career as Emmitt did playing on Cowboys at same time. I will have to disagree with that. He carried that team at times.

Selfish player ? Don't think his teamates thought of him that way.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hoov said:
Of course Smiths career would have been different if he was on another team. But you think another "good" back would have had just as good a career as Emmitt did playing on Cowboys at same time. I will have to disagree with that. He carried that team at times.

Selfish player ? Don't think his teamates thought of him that way.

Dorsett had a great OL of his own, both of these backs were great players and if your going to take away what Smith was able to accomplish because of the line in front of him then you would have to do the same to Dorsett as well. As for as being selfish I strongly disagree with that Emmitt laid it all on the line for his teammates and got the job done while always giving credit to those around him.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have always thought Tony D was the better back and would take him over emmitt (both in their prime) any day of the week.
That is not saying anything bad about Emmitt...I just liked Tony better.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
I have always thought Tony D was the better back and would take him over emmitt (both in their prime) any day of the week.

Different style of RB both great in their own right. I don't know which I would take over the other but I will say I was glad to be able to watch both play for our team and enjoyed every minuet of it.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101 said:
Different style of RB both great in their own right. I don't know which I would take over the other but I will say I was glad to be able to watch both play for our team and enjoyed every minuet of it.

That's fair.

I think the reason I like Tony D more is the idea of his speed and fluid motions, plus the idea he was playing when I was younger. Once again it is nothing against Emmitt, just liked Tony better.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:
That's fair.

I think the reason I like Tony D more is the idea of his speed and fluid motions, plus the idea he was playing when I was younger. Once again it is nothing against Emmitt, just liked Tony better.

I understand and agree with you, there was something very special about the Cowboys in the 70's. I always loved seeing Tony running the screens.

Hoov

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I understand and agree with you, there was something very special about the Cowboys in the 70's. I always loved seeing Tony running the screens.

Huh....the 70's, S*** I can't remember the 70's......or the 80's...Hmmm the 90's..

Wait a minute, what day is it today ?

CowboyPrincess

Priceless
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt said:

Though I liked Emmitt.. I'd agree with you BP. I watched them both and would give anything to see Tony play again. He was my favorite. What a fantasy it would be to see the 70's boys vs 90's boys - of course they would all be in their prime. What a showdown. Roger vs Troy A., Dorsett vs Smith, and all the other greats... Pearson, Hill, Irvin, Jones, Martin, the Moose, Novacek, etc

To see that would have to be a sign that you were about to walk through the gates of Heaven

Badattitude

Benched
Reaction score
Is there really any reason for this topic to be in SmackTalk? We all seem to be getting on pretty well...

2233boys

Benched
Reaction score
Badattitude said:
The Cowboys "Oline" of the 90's is the most over rated unit. Consider this Tuinie was a Cowboy from 1983 to 1997. Played with Tony, Hershel, and Emmitt, never made a pro bowl until 1994. Wasn't a great player until Emmitt.

Consider this Newton was a Cowboys from 1986 to 1998, played pro football since 1983. He was rotiunely overwieght and was always called out in the summer for reporting to heavy. From 1986 to 1990 he was nothing special, after Emmitt's Rookie year he was named Cowboys Offensive MVP, and subsquently went on to 6 pro bowls also earned Best Olineman honors in 1994.

Consider this Kevin Gogan played with Emmitt for 3 years prior to that he was a Cowboy since 1987. He was good, nothing special.

Consider Eric Williams was a terror until his car wreck a shell of his former self afterwards. He missed all of the 94 season and didn't start until 1992, being drafted in 1991.

Larry Allen wasn't drafted until 1994, but he is by far the only Hall of Famer of the bunch. Greatest Guard to play the game in my opinion. Earned All Pro Honors at Tackle and Guard.

Step played from 89 to 94 in Dallas by far one of the better centers in Dallas history. Second to Raferty in my mind.

I agree Dallas had a good line, but bottom line Emmitt Smith was a great back. Maybe not the greatest ever, but ceretainly the best Cowboys rb... TD was a better runner, by far, Emmitt was the best rb...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
2233boys said:
Step played from 89 to 94 in Dallas by far one of the better centers in Dallas history. Second to Raferty in my mind.

You are leaving out a top-notch talent at center in John Fitzgerald...