Staubach and Dorsett were far better than Aikman and Emmitt

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
2233boys said:

Hey... it happens... Ray Donaldson was a good one too... but I don't consider him a career Cowboy... but I was glad to have him aboard...

Hoov

Reaction score
2233boys said:
The Cowboys "Oline" of the 90's is the most over rated unit. Consider this Tuinie was a Cowboy from 1983 to 1997. Played with Tony, Hershel, and Emmitt, never made a pro bowl until 1994. Wasn't a great player until Emmitt.

Consider this Newton was a Cowboys from 1986 to 1998, played pro football since 1983. He was rotiunely overwieght and was always called out in the summer for reporting to heavy. From 1986 to 1990 he was nothing special, after Emmitt's Rookie year he was named Cowboys Offensive MVP, and subsquently went on to 6 pro bowls also earned Best Olineman honors in 1994.

Consider this Kevin Gogan played with Emmitt for 3 years prior to that he was a Cowboy since 1987. He was good, nothing special.

Consider Eric Williams was a terror until his car wreck a shell of his former self afterwards. He missed all of the 94 season and didn't start until 1992, being drafted in 1991.

Larry Allen wasn't drafted until 1994, but he is by far the only Hall of Famer of the bunch. Greatest Guard to play the game in my opinion. Earned All Pro Honors at Tackle and Guard.

Step played from 89 to 94 in Dallas by far one of the better centers in Dallas history. Second to Raferty in my mind.

I agree Dallas had a good line, but bottom line Emmitt Smith was a great back. Maybe not the greatest ever, but ceretainly the best Cowboys rb... TD was a better runner, by far, Emmitt was the best rb...

Thanks Dude...Exactly the point I was trying to make, just didn't have all the stats/years handy.

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Different style of RB both great in their own right. I don't know which I would take over the other but I will say I was glad to be able to watch both play for our team and enjoyed every minuet of it.

Same way I feel. Love them both!

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Staubach > Aikman
Dorsett < Emmitt

Id rather have Aikman, Emmitt because Emmitt is far better than Dorsett than Staubach is to Aikman.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
2233boys said:
The Cowboys "Oline" of the 90's is the most over rated unit. Consider this Tuinie was a Cowboy from 1983 to 1997. Played with Tony, Hershel, and Emmitt, never made a pro bowl until 1994. Wasn't a great player until Emmitt.

Consider this Newton was a Cowboys from 1986 to 1998, played pro football since 1983. He was rotiunely overwieght and was always called out in the summer for reporting to heavy. From 1986 to 1990 he was nothing special, after Emmitt's Rookie year he was named Cowboys Offensive MVP, and subsquently went on to 6 pro bowls also earned Best Olineman honors in 1994.

Consider this Kevin Gogan played with Emmitt for 3 years prior to that he was a Cowboy since 1987. He was good, nothing special.

Consider Eric Williams was a terror until his car wreck a shell of his former self afterwards. He missed all of the 94 season and didn't start until 1992, being drafted in 1991.

Larry Allen wasn't drafted until 1994, but he is by far the only Hall of Famer of the bunch. Greatest Guard to play the game in my opinion. Earned All Pro Honors at Tackle and Guard.

Step played from 89 to 94 in Dallas by far one of the better centers in Dallas history. Second to Raferty in my mind.

I agree Dallas had a good line, but bottom line Emmitt Smith was a great back. Maybe not the greatest ever, but ceretainly the best Cowboys rb... TD was a better runner, by far, Emmitt was the best rb...

I agree. I would not say they were overrated but I will say they became a lot better once we signed E. Smith. When Emmitt held out we had no running game at all even with the big boys up front or when Emmitt was severly hurt in the Chicago game Emmitt replacements were unable to even come close to the impact Smith had. I give the line a lot of credit but Emmitt deserves a lot of credit of helping to make them better players.

Hoov

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I agree. I would not say they were overrated but I will say they became a lot better once we signed E. Smith. When Emmitt held out we had no running game at all even with the big boys up front or when Emmitt was severly hurt in the Chicago game Emmitt replacements were unable to even come close to the impact Smith had. I give the line a lot of credit but Emmitt deserves a lot of credit of helping to make them better players.

So True. The line was good but emmitt made things happen. i remember so many times emmitt would be hit in the backfield, break tackles and turn what should be a loss into a big run. i'm thinking of a run he had against atlanta where he broke like 5 or 6 tackles and scored a td on a play where it looked like he ran into a wall of defenders at the line of scrimmage. that was all emmitt - and there were many plays like that.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
In watching Emmitt Smith, .. some day all of you will realize you were fortunate enough to be watching the best all around RB to play in the NFL since Jim Brown.

But if you picked Emmitt and I got Tony D., I wouldn't be disappointed at all.
Tony was a unique RB, but Emmitt was Emmitt.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WV Cowboy said:
In watching Emmitt Smith, .. some day all of you will realize you were fortunate enough to be watching the best all around RB to play in the NFL since Jim Brown.

But if you picked Emmitt and I got Tony D., I wouldn't be disappointed at all.
Tony was a unique RB, but Emmitt was Emmitt.

You know for me I think it was where I watched Tony when I was younger more then anything else.

I don't think you could ever go wrong with either.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Why was the Stabauch era the better era?

Seems to me athletes today are infinitely better than they were in the 70s.

Good ole days syndrome strikes its ugly head.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
We brought this thread back from the dead?!