Steady as she goes

Blitzen

Reaction score
Though the Cowboys have not been perfect at drafting by any stretch, they are pretty good overall. Draft assets are extremely valuable because of contract size/length versus potential production.

If the Cowboys win the next three games and look great doing it, then it makes more sense to make a move for this season with a trade. If they do not do that, then it makes much less sense and they should go with what they have.

Too many of you are good with trading several premium picks away to pray for marginally better success. The team’s depth will get tested and we will see where they go with it. Steady as she goes.

CWR

Reaction score
Though the Cowboys have not been perfect at drafting by any stretch, they are pretty good overall. Draft assets are extremely valuable because of contract size/length versus potential production.

If the Cowboys win the next three games and look great doing it, then it makes more sense to make a move for this season with a trade. If they do not do that, then it makes much less sense and they should go with what they have.

Too many of you are good with trading several premium picks away to pray for marginally better success. The team’s depth will get tested and we will see where they go with it. Steady as she goes.
It's one thing to be ok with the concept.

Most people here would be upset after the actual trade took place, because they won't think we got enough for our pick.

Coop was a fair deal and if we got someone of that caliber on defense I'd be happy. Then again, does that lead to another Tristin Hill crap pick in round 2?

Also, you're right if we aren't close to competing save your picks.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
This was always set up to be a lost season, IMO. That's why McCarthy is in his last year of his deal. That's why there are no running backs. Every team goes through salary cap crunches. Philly's was last year and they are still feeling the effect. Dallas is going into it now and will likely be feeling it through the end of next year.

I sure hope that Dallas doesn't give up draft assets to fix a team that was set up to fail.

I'll continue to watch and root for the team and enjoy the wins. I hope the draft class continues to improve. That said, my expectations are not super bowl this year. That window slammed shut against Green Bay.

Going forward, I hope that Dallas takes coaching more seriously. That GB loss was all on coaching. MM has his positives but he isn't enough of a disciplinarian and he doesn't come up with great game specific plans. In the playoffs, those are big issues. Its going to be hard to get that type of coach with Jerry in the building but at least I can hope.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm okay with seeing what we have on the depth. Give these kids a chance ot play NFL ball.

But I'm not for one second pumping up for the three wins in a row.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The NFL salary cap makes team dependent on rookie contracts offsetting veteran contracts, which means teams need to churn their veteran roster every season by replacing them with drafted and undrafted rookie free agent players.

In my opinion, the only players ever worth first round picks are going to be quarterbacks and that's really only if a team loses their starting quarterback for most or all of the season.

Fans forget that you are not just trading away draft picks, you are trading away salary cap as well (incoming players will likely eat a lot of it compared to rookie contract players) along with removing the chance for a young cap-friendly player to step up and show what they can do.

Blitzen

Reaction score
There is 0% chance that happens. PIT, DET and SF are who we're talking about.

Maybe so, but the team gets to tell the GM and all of us fans who they are before making moves. That’s what the deadline is for. Teams get a chance to see what they’ve got before making decisions for future rosters.

Aven8

Reaction score
If we were a Davante Adams away I’m all about trading a 2 for him. But we aren’t. We need a WR, RB, and defenders all over currently to contend.

Now for KC? Smart move

DeaconMoss

Reaction score

Bro....They will be lucky to win one or two games in the next 6

Blitzen

Reaction score
If we were a Davante Adams away I’m all about trading a 2 for him. But we aren’t. We need a WR, RB, and defenders all over currently to contend.

Now for KC? Smart move

Yes, and to anyone bleating that the team needs two number one receivers-you should look around the league and see how seldom that happens. Buffalo, New England, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Indianapolis, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Los Angeles Chargers, Denver, Green Bay, Atlanta, New Orleans, and Carolina do not have that true number one threat that is basically uncoverable.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Who is saying this?

A 2nd round pick for Davante is a massive upgrade.

It is if the offense instantly becomes 7-10 points better per game. I do not believe the offense is one playmaker from becoming that much better. They need dramatic improvement on the offensive line before another receiver makes any real difference. I get it-you think the addition of Adams is a major upgrade for the offense overall. I think it would be for certain offenses, but not the Cowboys currently. You don’t patch a jugular hemorrhage with a bandaid.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Have we really drafted well or did we HIT on our 1st round picks and got lucky on a few others

CowboysRule

Reaction score
This was always set up to be a lost season, IMO. That's why McCarthy is in his last year of his deal. That's why there are no running backs. Every team goes through salary cap crunches. Philly's was last year and they are still feeling the effect. Dallas is going into it now and will likely be feeling it through the end of next year.

I sure hope that Dallas doesn't give up draft assets to fix a team that was set up to fail.

I'll continue to watch and root for the team and enjoy the wins. I hope the draft class continues to improve. That said, my expectations are not super bowl this year. That window slammed shut against Green Bay.

Going forward, I hope that Dallas takes coaching more seriously. That GB loss was all on coaching. MM has his positives but he isn't enough of a disciplinarian and he doesn't come up with great game specific plans. In the playoffs, those are big issues. Its going to be hard to get that type of coach with Jerry in the building but at least I can hope.
I believe I read that with a few restructures we could have around $110m in free cap going into FA next year.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
It is if the offense instantly becomes 7-10 points better per game. I do not believe the offense is one playmaker from becoming that much better. They need dramatic improvement on the offensive line before another receiver makes any real difference. I get it-you think the addition of Adams is a major upgrade for the offense overall. I think it would be for certain offenses, but not the Cowboys currently. You don’t patch a jugular hemorrhage with a bandaid.
A WR makes everything else on the team, including the run defense better.