Steady as she goes

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Though the Cowboys have not been perfect at drafting by any stretch, they are pretty good overall. Draft assets are extremely valuable because of contract size/length versus potential production.

If the Cowboys win the next three games and look great doing it, then it makes more sense to make a move for this season with a trade. If they do not do that, then it makes much less sense and they should go with what they have.

Too many of you are good with trading several premium picks away to pray for marginally better success. The team’s depth will get tested and we will see where they go with it. Steady as she goes.
I don't know what Vegas would set the odds at on a 3 team parlay like that, but I have to think it's in the +5000 range.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Passing offense is the best run defense because it gives you a better opportunity to play with a lead.

Welcome to 2024.

Complimentary football (good overall offense and good overall defense along with solid special teams) creates leads. Welcome to football circa forever.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Which does not exist without a passing offense...

I don’t disagree that the passing offense is very important. I disagree that somehow passing offense trumps a dominant defense. The team should be looking to dramatically upgrade the defense for years to come (and cheaply), become way more balanced offensively (and the offensive line is currently heavily leaking), and hopefully get better coaching. Adams is a tiny piece for the Cowboys, but represents a much bigger piece to other teams.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I don’t disagree that the passing offense is very important. I disagree that somehow passing offense trumps a dominant defense. The team should be looking to dramatically upgrade the defense for years to come (and cheaply), become way more balanced offensively (and the offensive line is currently heavily leaking), and hopefully get better coaching. Adams is a tiny piece for the Cowboys, but represents a much bigger piece to other teams.
A 2nd WR who can beat man coverage opens up the entire offense because it hides the OL and dictates teams to cover to open up the run game. In turn, it puts more pressure on opposing offenses to keep scoring pace and takes away their ability to run the ball.

Everything in today's NFL stems from the ability to throw the football. That is why there is a direct correlation, year after year, between passing success and overall.

Blitzen

Reaction score
A 2nd WR who can beat man coverage opens up the entire offense because it hides the OL and dictates teams to cover to open up the run game. In turn, it puts more pressure on opposing offenses to keep scoring pace and takes away their ability to run the ball.

Everything in today's NFL stems from the ability to throw the football. That is why there is a direct correlation, year after year, between passing success and overall.

Last year Pat Mahomes had his worst season passing the ball. It’s not off to a good start this season. Yet they continue to have what some would call overall success.

Wide receivers still need time to cover up for poor offensive lines. Pat Mahomes with a healthy Tyreek Hill (literally the most uncoverable human in the sport) and Travis Kelce got some catches and yards and the living crap kicked out of them in the SB versus Tampa Bay all the way back in 2021 when both of their offensive tackles were out injured.

Blitzen

Reaction score
They were top 10 in passing EPA...

Nothing matters if you can't throw the football.

What ranking were the Dolphins? How did that work out for them when they met a defense that wasn’t afraid of their catch and run and deep bomb dominance? Try again. Complimentary football will ALWAYS reign. Forever.

KC threw one TD the entire game. A whopping 262 yards passing. 56% completion percentage. But we’re supposed to be impressed by their mighty passing attack. Lol

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Though the Cowboys have not been perfect at drafting by any stretch, they are pretty good overall. Draft assets are extremely valuable because of contract size/length versus potential production.

If the Cowboys win the next three games and look great doing it, then it makes more sense to make a move for this season with a trade. If they do not do that, then it makes much less sense and they should go with what they have.

Too many of you are good with trading several premium picks away to pray for marginally better success. The team’s depth will get tested and we will see where they go with it. Steady as she goes.
Blitzen just blitzed the “fans” with some excellent advice.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
What ranking were the Dolphins? How did that work out for them when they met a defense that wasn’t afraid of their catch and run and deep bomb dominance? Try again. Complimentary football will ALWAYS reign. Forever.

KC threw one TD the entire game. A whopping 262 yards passing. 56% completion percentage. But we’re supposed to be impressed by their mighty passing attack. Lol
Passing game doesn't guarantee winning, but without it, you can't.

Complimentary football does not exist without a passing game.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Passing game doesn't guarantee winning, but without it, you can't.

Complimentary football does not exist without a passing game.

And it does not exist without a competent defense. The team has a ship full of holes and cannot fix them all by trading future picks. Davante cannot assist enough in the offense to move the winning needle in comparison to the pick given to get him. Steady as she goes.

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
giphy.gif
Steady as she goes..

Mr_437

Reaction score

A+
Cowboys are a draft & develop team, so if the vets are playing like trash get them out the way and play the youngins to develop them. There's nothing to save.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
And it does not exist without a competent defense. The team has a ship full of holes and cannot fix them all by trading future picks. Davante cannot assist enough in the offense to move the winning needle in comparison to the pick given to get him. Steady as she goes.
A proficient passing game improves your defense.

I don't know what you think you're getting in the second round that does move the needle lol. That's a silly point.

Blitzen

Reaction score
A proficient passing game improves your defense.

I don't know what you think you're getting in the second round that does move the needle lol. That's a silly point.

And a proficient offensive line improves your receivers. Davante is a luxury. 2nd round picks can give you a great center, wr (Deebo and dk metcalf just in the past few years off the top of my head), linebackers, running backs, defensive tackles (hi Chris Jones-you were drafted after Jaylon Smith right?)…The Cowboys got Treyvon there too…The needle moving is almost always involves many players-3 to 4 very good players will trump 1 elite player’s impact unless the elite player is a QB (when weighing their entire contract versus production).

Also have to figure out future plans for the guy getting traded. How many teams will pay top or close to top dollar for two wide receivers, and is it a good usage of salary cap? Davante’s agent will want a brand new contract and lots of new guaranteed money to restructure his current deal ($44M cap hits the next two seasons unless redone or he’s cut). You can guarantee my last sentence.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
This was always set up to be a lost season, IMO. That's why McCarthy is in his last year of his deal. That's why there are no running backs. Every team goes through salary cap crunches. Philly's was last year and they are still feeling the effect. Dallas is going into it now and will likely be feeling it through the end of next year.

I sure hope that Dallas doesn't give up draft assets to fix a team that was set up to fail.

I'll continue to watch and root for the team and enjoy the wins. I hope the draft class continues to improve. That said, my expectations are not super bowl this year. That window slammed shut against Green Bay.

Going forward, I hope that Dallas takes coaching more seriously. That GB loss was all on coaching. MM has his positives but he isn't enough of a disciplinarian and he doesn't come up with great game specific plans. In the playoffs, those are big issues. Its going to be hard to get that type of coach with Jerry in the building but at least I can hope.
Good stuff.

I think 2025-26 is going to see a lot of change.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
And a proficient offensive line improves your receivers.
Nope. If they can't beat man coverage it doesn't really matter. No OL is going to consistently give a clean pocket for more than 2.5 seconds - a WR who beats man quickly defeats a passrush.

Plus, there isn't exactly an OL available for trade right now of Davante's calibre.