Steele Is Broken, so what now?

Creeper

Reaction score
What is a worse fate ? Dak's health and being out several games or the year per killer sack ?
Or baby-sitting Steeles' pride and mentality ? Which is the greater sin ..and No-no ?

And we cannot be assisting Steele on every 3rd pass with chip or TE help, when we need RBs to blitz-block rushing, incoming LBs .. or when we really need to go with 3 to 4 WR packages vs opposing 7 DB nickel packages.

If Steele is just Not able to hold his own, then we'll need to sub a vet (Chuma) while we figure out how we can
best implement and package Steele to get some kind of necessary reps
I get it, but I am talking about the future. We want Steele to fully recover and play like he did in 2022. We do not want him fighting demons in 2024. Of course if the Cowboys had a better option at RT today, they should put him out there. But I don't think Chuma Edoga will be any better, plus he can't stay healthy. Do we turn Steele into Chaz Green if we bench him? They might be better moving Martin out to RT and putting Bass in at RG, but I don't see that as a perfect solution either.

Steele has played beteter this year. The game against the Eagles was clearly his worst.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
We can't keep sending him out there every week when he is consistently dragging this line down. At this point he's probably the lowest graded RT in the league. So what should the plan be? Clearly Steele is still not 100% and needs some time to rest. Or maybe this is his 100% now and it's time for a more permanent change?

Can Richards play RT any worse than Steele right now? This seems like the least disruptive option?

Should we move Tyron to RT and put Richards at LT?

Move Tyler to LT, Tyron to RT and Bass to LG?

Any FAs out there? That can come play RT (or LG to give us some flexibility)

Thoughts?
He just recently had major knee surgery. 90% don’t come back as soon as he did. You yahoos don’t realize that it takes over a year to come back 100% from an ACL injury. They can help Steele out with chip block from the TE’s and other line adjustments.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He just recently had major knee surgery. 90% don’t come back as soon as he did. You yahoos don’t realize that it takes over a year to come back 100% from an ACL injury. They can help Steele out with chip block from the TE’s and other line adjustments.
They can help him out by letting his knee fully recover, on the bench.

75boyz

Reaction score
I'd use Luepke and Schoon as protectors/chippers on the right side.
It ain't rocket science.
The offensive staff needs to adapt the playcalling if need be until Steele rounds into form.

My guess would be that the guy has yet to return to his pre injury playing health as some take longer to come back from acls than others.

At least that's my hope.
If not, we just made another terrible second contract investment in another un deserving player.

I truly hope that's not the case.
jmo

Last edited:

PurpleHaze22

Reaction score
We cannot risk our QB taking such hits and punishment for the sake of curdling Steele.
That's the Chaz Green saga all over again.

We cannot be content having him to work out the kinks at the risk of our QB.
And we cannot water down an offense that was already having conservative dink n dunk issues
because we are so afraid of our starting RT.

Plan B is to keep reserve Chuma on full alert and ready to sub quickly should Steele not seem to
be working out his issues.

This may be a case where Steele needs an offseason combine with reserve play to have a chance to return to '23 form. But we cannot let him sabotage our season by risking exposing hits to our QB.
Chuma did a decent job filling in for Tyrone.

quickccc

Reaction score
Why, he played there before?
And Martin is that much more older and slower at this point of his career to risk that move to RT ,imo.

That's why it's so benefits having him remain in a phone booth area inside at OG.

I would not be surprised if that the calf strain injury he eventually suffered in his brief stint at RT in 2020
was due to having to over extend himself physically while being out on an island.
I think Zack would be much more better physically preserved at OG than OT.

I would only do that move on a very extreme injury emergency and flat had no other choice or options
on the roster.
When Martin was forced to move to RT in 2020, Tyron, Lael Collins, Cam Irving were all out (Brandon Knight eventually hurt) ...and rookie Steele struggled do badly every single game.

We have other options: Chuma,.. Richards,....Much more 12 personnel (2 TEs) to help Steele
In '22, we even moved Tyron to RT upon his return at season's end when Steele was IR'ed....
(which would mean Tyler to LT if we do that Now )

That would mean a lot of re-shuffling and suspect continuity for an OL unit that is already struggling.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
And Martin is that much more older and slower at this point of his career to risk that move to RT ,imo.

That's why it's so benefits having him remain in a phone booth area inside at OG.

I would not be surprised if that the calf strain injury he eventually suffered in his brief stint at RT in 2020
was due to having to over extend himself physically while being out on an island.
I think Zack would be much more better physically preserved at OG than OT.

I would only do that move on a very extreme injury emergency and flat had no other choice or options
on the roster.
When Martin was forced to move to RT in 2020, Tyron, Lael Collins, Cam Irving were all out (Brandon Knight eventually hurt) ...and rookie Steele struggled do badly every single game.

We have other options: Chuma,.. Richards,....Much more 12 personnel (2 TEs) to help Steele
In '22, we even moved Tyron to RT upon his return at season's end when Steele was IR'ed....
(which would mean Tyler to LT if we do that Now )

That would mean a lot of re-shuffling and suspect continuity for an OL unit that is already struggling.
Makes sense, thanks for your insights...

FVSTONE

Reaction score
We can't keep sending him out there every week when he is consistently dragging this line down. At this point he's probably the lowest graded RT in the league. So what should the plan be? Clearly Steele is still not 100% and needs some time to rest. Or maybe this is his 100% now and it's time for a more permanent change?

Can Richards play RT any worse than Steele right now? This seems like the least disruptive option?

Should we move Tyron to RT and put Richards at LT?

Move Tyler to LT, Tyron to RT and Bass to LG?

Any FAs out there? That can come play RT (or LG to give us some flexibility)

Thoughts?
He got paid so there is no reason to be dominate anymore...............

quickccc

Reaction score
I get it, but I am talking about the future. We want Steele to fully recover and play like he did in 2022. We do not want him fighting demons in 2024. Of course if the Cowboys had a better option at RT today, they should put him out there. But I don't think Chuma Edoga will be any better, plus he can't stay healthy. Do we turn Steele into Chaz Green if we bench him? They might be better moving Martin out to RT and putting Bass in at RG, but I don't see that as a perfect solution either.

Steele has played better this year. The game against the Eagles was clearly his worst.
Much depends upon the competency of the current OL coach per Mike Solari... and of course the player himself
and having a Plan B option.

- Big difference is we've seen Steele at the top of his game, we've seen his pro bowl potential,
ala only one sack allowed credentials last year in 2022.
Chaz Green was always a mediocre player from beginning to end.
We just have to trust Terrence's recovery, trust his coaches (to be seen) and have a Plan B.

- Even if Steele has to be benched -we can still rotate Steele in a starting Chuma and monitor what he does in
those rotating spots and reps.

- Frankly i really believe the coach staff gonna want to risk to see him start and play his way back into form.
If Steele is mentally tough and competitive, and there is still signs that recovery is sight, there should not be
a fear of him fighting demons or shell shocked loss of confidence, imo.
But Chuma would Plan B.

- At the top of Steele's game, he's clearly the much better player than Chuma, but somethin is happening
where he's clearly lost confidence on a mental sense.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Much depends upon the competency of the current OL coach per Mike Solari... and of course the player himself

- Big difference is we've seen Steele at the top of his game, we've seen his pro bowl potential,
We just have to trust Terrence's recovery, trust his coaches (to be seen) and have a Plan B.

- Even if Steele has to be benched -we can still rotate Steele in a starting Chuma and monitor what he does in

- Frankly i really believe the coach staff gonna want to risk to see him start and play his way back into form.
If Steele is mentally tough and competitive, and there is still signs that recovery is sight, there should not be
But Chuma would Plan B.

- At the top of Steele's game, he's clearly the much better player than Chuma, but somethin is happening
I am more worried about Dak getting splattered because Steele is so bad.
That is more important than worrying about Steele's confidence.

Creeper

Reaction score

But Chuma would Plan B.

I cannot say I disagree with any of this. Let's see how he does this week against the Giants. I have a feeling he might see a lot of Thibodeaux this week.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
My guess is it's more about the injury than the contract, but I guess everyone is going to have their own view on that
If he's dealing with any type of injury, those injuries as small as they may be are normally reported for today's gamblers......LOL!