Steele may not be ready for training camp

DanA

Reaction score
  • Steele had surgery mid December.
  • ACL recover is minimum 7 months (mid July)
  • More typically it’s 9 month recovery (mid September)
I would expect him on the cords for most of training camp, he might squeeze a pre-season game in and be ready for week 1 but a guy on a guaranteed tender I don’t think would risk early return.

Carson

Reaction score
What happened to him being ahead of schedule?
It’s how the Cowboys media operates. This is why about 75% of the fan base expect Schoonmaker to miss most of the season.

The whole “be ready for camp!” Bs propaganda

slick325

Reaction score
Matt Waletzko (now pronounced..."Well Let's Go!) come on down as the starting RT in camp.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

gimmesix

Reaction score
They either do not like what they are seeing from the Left Guard candidates (Farniok, Edoga) OR they do not like what they are seeing from Tyron at Right Tackle.
I don't know if it means either of those. I think the expectations right now are for Tyron to start at LT, Tyler at LG and Steele at RT. If that's the plan, then it's best for now for Tyron and Tyler to work together on the left side. They didn't get to do that much last season because of Tyron's injury.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Matt Waletzko (now pronounced..."Well Let's Go!) come on down as the starting RT in camp.
It does look like he might be the backup plan for now. Of course, that could change in camp.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Tyron was at Right Tackle and Tyler was at Left Tackle in the first OTA's. With the news that Steele may not be ready, why would they move them if they are happy with them?
Don't think the OTAs show them much. They are a time for experimentation.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If everyone is healthy it was always going to be Tyron at left tackle because he is the best left tackle on the team. Tyler likewise is best left guard and Steele the best right tackle. Steele does not need to get all the snaps at right tackle in training camp. Let him get healthy. He still is expected to be playing in game one.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Always get the idea that they will be ready for camp. Steele may not be. And if he is how effective will he be. He has to trust the knee again and that’s reps. Tyron maybe starting there and Steele maybe slid in slowly.

gtb1943

Reaction score
ACL tears to NFL players during a season after Thanksgiving --- no one should expect any of them to be 100% ready to play ---AND BE 100% EFFECTIVE - at the beginning of the following season.
Exactly. Physically and Mentally he will be tentative. Its only human to be so.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If this is true.......we could be looking at mid-season getting the real Steele back. Even if he's ready, do you trust him to start the season at a high level......I don't.
As long as the coaches trust him....doesn't matter what we think.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What happened to him being ahead of schedule?
Being ahead of schedule supposedly. But they never gave a time frame to him being able to fully practice.

I said all along I expect him to start TC on PUP. It is just what this team does. Even if they are supposed to be good to go.

I don't expect him to do any actual practice until they return from Oxnard. Then thy will keep any info close to the vest, until he is 100%
Again, it is what they typically do.

I can see him playing game 1, and using a knee brace. Just a guess though. But not buying into some fans mid year stuff. Because that is typical of most fans as well.
You know, like the amputation posts we get. :laugh:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Plenty of time to get Steele ready. Take your time and get him ready for the season even if he needs to miss a couple games to work himself back into the line up. Tyron Smith will have a good 5 or 6 games and that's when I start worrying about when he might be injured again. That is when we will need steel at his best going forward.