Twitter: Stephen’s take on negotiations with agents

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
They came out swinging today.

full image:
hEmRjg4.jpg

Agree to a point, but there are definitely players that just don't care about anything but getting the most money they can.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Anyone in the know on how much agents get when their client signs say a 80 mil contract?
It might pay to fire the agent and negotiate your own deal and save what you would pay the agent.

The NFL rules state that an agent can't receive more than 3 percent of a player's contract. Normally, the agent is better equipped to negotiate in favor of his client by way of his experience alone. Of course, that varies, to some extent, with the individual abilities of the agent.

Last edited:

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Get Jerry out of the negotiations and let Stephen handle them.

Not sure that is the answer. I honestly think if you put Jerry and the player in a room and locked the door....they would get a deal done. Stephen doesn't have the people skills that Jerry does.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I do agree with Stephen. And even though I rarely say this.....

The owners don't necessarily care about making sure the players get everything they can. This is the most profitable league, yet no guaranteed contracts? I totally understand why the owners wouldn't want to do away with the salary cap. It keeps the league (except New England) pretty even. But, if you raise the cap significantly, or relax the rules somewhat, then you could pay the players more.

I have always thought that the cap punishes a team that drafts well. I firmly believe a team should be rewarded for drafting well. Let the team that originally drafts a player count less against the cap. If the player truly wants to leave....they can....but if a team drafts well, then they have a better opportunity of keeping their good players.

I usually am very reluctant to put down big bucks for a player's jersey. It seems it's such a transient league. You never know how long a player will be with your favorite team.
Great post.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Not sure that is the answer. I honestly think if you put Jerry and the player in a room and locked the door....they would get a deal done. Stephen doesn't have the people skills that Jerry does.
A maybe Jerry can't negotiate as well as Stephen.

glimmerman

Reaction score
The agents get 3% of the take. They want as much as they can get. These young players want every penny they can get. A lot of times with high level and profile players it’s a perfect match for them.

But if these young players got together and realized if we each took a little less then more talent could be signed and stay together on a team that’s getting close. They all know about or around what they will be offered. It’s usually within a few million. I have seen QB take less to keep talent. I heard Romo was willing to restructure or give up a couple mil to help sign murray. If they win a SB most players on those teams go into make more money. The stars make endorsement money. Elliot needs a agent that keeps him out of trouble and gets him side money. If a lot of the players I would have figure Elliot to get endorsement money. Feed me has products written all over it.

Praxit

Reaction score
...I guess this was after Dlaw made out like a bandit....... Bwahahaha....;)...

lkelly

Reaction score
The agents get 3% of the take. They want as much as they can get. These young players want every penny they can get. A lot of times with high level and profile players it’s a perfect match for them.

But if these young players got together and realized if we each took a little less then more talent could be signed and stay together on a team that’s getting close. They all know about or around what they will be offered. It’s usually within a few million. I have seen QB take less to keep talent. I heard Romo was willing to restructure or give up a couple mil to help sign murray. If they win a SB most players on those teams go into make more money. The stars make endorsement money. Elliot needs a agent that keeps him out of trouble and gets him side money. If a lot of the players I would have figure Elliot to get endorsement money. Feed me has products written all over it.

Sadly Zeke in his current state is not very attractive to companies looking to sign athletes to endorsement deals. Saquon on the other hand can print money. He's squeaky clean, plays in a massive market (and for the more popular team in that city), and had a super star rookie year. All things being equal, Zeke should have the same opportunities at the very least (quite possibly more considering the Cowboys brand) but he's botched things with his off the field behavior. He's also not the most well-spoken individual, but that hasn't stopped other athletes. Perhaps that gaping hole in his endorsement revenue has led him to ask for the top salary he can get from the team. Yet another item to add to the "bad decision" ledger on Zeke's behalf.

As an aside, I wonder how Dak's endorsement revenue would be impacted if he signed with the Bengals or Bills instead. If I'm a company, I'm putting some contractual language in there that voids the deal or cuts the rate if he's not a Cowboy. That brand recognition has to be worth quite a bit extra to advertisers.

lkelly

Reaction score
The 3% take isn't what is motivating agents to get top value. It's usually a drop in the bucket when comparing a million or two of full contract value over a 5 year span. It's the marketing of their agent skills that they are concerned about.

Real estate agents take a cut, but most of the time their motivation is to get a sale on the books as quickly as possible. Getting an extra $5K on the house price doesn't add up to much extra commission, but if they can take a little less and sell the house tomorrow and boost their volume, that's what matters most. It's not worth waiting 2 more months for that marginal increase. Often times the residual marketing takeaway is "I sold their house in 48 hours" not "I waited 60 days to get them a few grand more."

If the agent is also hooked into the endorsement side (I assume that other individuals or agencies may fill that void), I would think that they could package the "signed him for a very good contract but also got him on the fast track for Monday Night Football or a gazillion yogurt ads." With Zeke that endorsement side is pretty sparse. All that's left for the agent is to hang his hat on "the top contract for a RB."

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Anyone in the know on how much agents get when their client signs say a 80 mil contract?
It might pay to fire the agent and negotiate your own deal and save what you would pay the agent.
Don't have to be in the know. Public information.

The Players Association has capped what agents make at 3% max on contracts. 2% on first time franchise/transition tags (or RFA’s), 1.5 % on second time franchise/transition tags, and 1% on third time tags.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I mean, duh. Agents have no reason to care about team success while players do. No agent ever built a legacy on how many super bowls their clients won.

Agents also have less interest in the *future* success of players. Even more so than than players, they're looking to cash in on *this* contract. Because the player could dump their representation tomorrow. Next month. Next year.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
I have NFL agent as clients. There takenis 8-12% plus a lower % on stuff like endorsements and such.

skinsscalper

Reaction score

The problem for Zeke is that he really isn't that marketable. He's one strike away from a lifetime ban from the league. He's shown himself to be a knuckle headed douchebag in every single off-season and he obviously has serious maturity issues. His agent knows damned well that the 10%-20% that he COULD make on any endorsement deals with Zeke isn't worth anywhere near what it would be with any other player in his dugout.

Dak has his face splattered all over the planet, right now. Zeke? You don't think there's a reason for that. It's exactly why Zeke's agent is angling for every single contract dollar that he can negotiate because the well is pretty dry after that. What he's failing to realize is that keeping Zeke on a team that has a chance to actually win a Super Bowl is the best chance he'll EVER have to get some endorsement %.

I'll be honest, at this point, I'm willing to let Zeke sit and trade him at the first opportunity of an equitable deal (and this is coming from a fan that, to this point, has absolutely LOVED Ezekiel Elliott). I'd trade his rights to the most bottom of the barrel franchise that I could possibly send him to (hopefully in a state with ridiculous state taxes) and let the idiot stew, for the rest of his career, about what could have been.