News: Stephen A. Smith actually defends the Dallas Cowboys

CCBoy

Reaction score
Stephen A. Smith actually defends the Dallas Cowboys
Stephen A. Smith actually defends the Dallas Cowboys

Self-proclaimed Dallas Cowboys hater Stephen A. Smith comes to the defense of America’s Team due to a preseason power ranking by NFL.com.

For anyone who has ever watched an episode of ESPN’s massively popular sports debate show, First Take, you probably already know that co-host Stephen A. Smith is a self-proclaimed hater of the Dallas Cowboys. More specifically, their fan base.

So when a recent preseason power ranking by NFL.com media analyst Elliott Harrison was debated on the show, something surprising happened. In the article, Dallas is ranked a lowly 18th in the NFL. Although you would think Smith would be delighted by this harsh assessment of the Cowboys roster, he in fact took umbrage at the ranking.

Then Smith did the unthinkable. Stephen A. Smith actually defended the Dallas Cowboys.

“The Dallas Cowboys…There’s six teams, playoffs from each conference. Dallas, it’s possible, cause the Commanders should be the favorite but I think they are allergic to prosperity just like the Cowboys are and I think it’s a toss up in the NFC East, it is possible that the Dallas Cowboys are going to make the playoffs,” Smith explained during Thursday’s episode of First Take on ESPN. “I can’t believe I’m saying this. It’s sacrilegious. I want to apologize to all of those people out there that support me and know me, that despise the Cowboys because they have the worst fan base in history. I can’t stand them. The fans, they make me sick. I just can’t stand Cowboys fans. They’re the worst. But I actually have to come to the defense of the Cowboys today because I’m objective and I’m fair.”...

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
SAS likes to think he's objective. In reality, he's anything but objective.

When it comes to the Cowboys, he's basically just a blowhard hater.

CCBoy

Reaction score
SAS likes to think he's objective. In reality, he's anything but objective.

When it comes to the Cowboys, he's basically just a blowhard hater.

I think that he is dead on with the Cowboy fans...it's a sport. If one wants to cry for not enough Championships, reduce the numbers of teams in a league structure to allow quick turnovers in playoff teams. To overcome that, takes some extreme standards and prior success. The Cowboys have built the right way now, and that talent level, at least, has been noticed.

All people don't remain always without socially redeemable features...and in sport, truth has to hit print, or they merely become a soap opera.

Toro9

Reaction score
Hmmm.. Helluva defense... Didn't really say anything to support his stance except that he... Hates Cowboys fans?

Garrettop

Reaction score
Dez got rid of the monkey, Stephen A defended the team; clearly a championship year in the making.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think that he is dead on with the Cowboy fans...it's a sport. If one wants to cry for not enough Championships, reduce the numbers of teams in a league structure to allow quick turnovers in playoff teams. To overcome that, takes some extreme standards and prior success. The Cowboys have built the right way now, and that talent level, at least, has been noticed.

All people don't remain always without socially redeemable features...and in sport, truth has to hit print, or they merely become a soap opera.

I'm unsure as to what you're trying to impart here. When you say he is "dead on" with the Cowboys fans, surely you're not in agreement with SAS that they are the "worst fan base in history." I honestly don't believe you're suggesting as much but it gave me pause to wonder. Please correct me if I've clumsily misunderstood what you're trying to communicate with your opening sentence.

In any case, that singular statement made by SAS constitutes my primary objection to his thinking here. Cowboys fans are individuals and as such, each one is free to assume a role that renders him (or her) unique. I'm sure you'd agree that placing large groups of individuals into one negative category is patently unjust.

I'm somewhat relieved to see that he feels obliged to insert some less inflammatory commentary as well, in light of his newfound broadcasting status. The format of his show has changed, now that his former partner has departed. No doubt, he's smart enough to realize that a balance must be struck in the interest of fairness and ultimately the ratings as well.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
I'm unsure as to what you're trying to impart here. When you say he is "dead on" with the Cowboys fans, surely you're not in agreement with SAS that they are the "worst fan base in history." I honestly don't believe you're suggesting as much but it gave me pause to wonder. Please correct me if I've clumsily misunderstood what you're trying to communicate with your opening sentence.

In any case, that singular statement made by SAS constitutes my primary objection to his thinking here. Cowboys fans are individuals and as such, each one is free to assume a role that renders him (or her) unique. I'm sure you'd agree that placing large groups of individuals into one negative category is patently unjust.

I'm somewhat relieved to see that he feels obliged to insert some less inflammatory commentary in light of his newfound broadcasting status. The format of his show has changed, now that his former partner has departed. No doubt, he's smart enough to realize that a balance must be struck in the interest of fairness and ultimately the ratings as well.

Now, I'm not climbing up the naïve tree in my response...

Since the new and grand stadium was built, and through National calamity in the country's financial community, and with major banks requiring bail out...Jerry put up the 9th wonder of the world.

Good stuff...huh?

What has been the constant attribute given to a Dallas fan while at their home stadium? I tell you what the media and many Cowboys fans have stated...the crowd was too high brow and did not provide a home field advantage for the team. There flatly, is no home field such as in Seattle, New York, Philadelphia, or even an Oakland. Too many fans were high brow in nature, and the Cowboys were even much better on the field, when all they had to deal with was a hostile environment.

Oh, one will find a good fan...and there are still many who have been yelling their hearts out...for a very long time. They have a heart.

But even a Stephen A. Smith, an avowed Cowboy hater, stood up for the talent on the team at present.

When a Cowboy hater is able to see the discrepancy in actually rooting for a team and just a continual laid back stadium presence with much insult and and degrading of a team that is pointing solidly up now...then yea, opinion or not, maybe some of the negative members, and there are many, perhaps should evaluate where they are actually standing if they are only on the ride to root for a Champion. EVERYONE and every fan wants a Champion...but some support their team fully, when they are building up as well.

Sorry, this fan isn't buying they are one step away from the undertaker...

And the Monday morning quarterback's club has always complained about three things...the Head Coach/owner; the Quarterback; or the play selection or coaching staff. The negative cause hasn't changed an ounce over the years. But I remember well, when a fan could be positive about HIS team and without being challenged and ridiculed for being a fool...

Yea, Stephen Smith has a lot of the score correct...even if he is a traitor of Cowboys all the rest of the time.

Nad removal? Now that's a socially redeemable feature...:)

Reactions: CWR

Daillest88

Reaction score
lmao worse fanbase? does he know any eagle fans? sounds to me he's just mad because of our success in the 90s, we still get more air time than his beloved giants and they won 2 superbowls in the last decade lol

erod

Reaction score
I would care more what Ted Bundy thinks about the Cowboys than this clown.

SAS is everything wrong with society, journalism, and culture today.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
He makes his living being controversial which keeps attention on him and BSPN. Any one attacking the most enterprising/popular team in the USA will be listened to by haters and lovers alike.
Personally I feel we need guys like SAS, publically keeping the Cowboys FO on edge and challenged. He's not letting them live off their laurels of over 20 years ago which so many do.
Someone has to publicly tell the king he has no clothes. We also need the homers (like Irvin) just to PO the Commander/Eagle/Giant fans.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Now, I'm not climbing up the naïve tree in my response...

Since the new and grand stadium was built, and through National calamity in the country's financial community, and with major banks requiring bail out...Jerry put up the 9th wonder of the world.

Good stuff...huh?

What has been the constant attribute given to a Dallas fan while at their home stadium? I tell you what the media and many Cowboys fans have stated...the crowd was too high brow and did not provide a home field advantage for the team. There flatly, is no home field such as in Seattle, New York, Philadelphia, or even an Oakland. Too many fans were high brow in nature, and the Cowboys were even much better on the field, when all they had to deal with was a hostile environment.

Oh, one will find a good fan...and there are still many who have been yelling their hearts out...for a very long time. They have a heart.

But even a Stephen A. Smith, an avowed Cowboy hater, stood up for the talent on the team at present.

When a Cowboy hater is able to see the discrepancy in actually rooting for a team and just a continual laid back stadium presence with much insult and and degrading of a team that is pointing solidly up now...then yea, opinion or not, maybe some of the negative members, and there are many, perhaps should evaluate where they are actually standing if they are only on the ride to root for a Champion. EVERYONE and every fan wants a Champion...but some support their team fully, when they are building up as well.

Sorry, this fan isn't buying they are one step away from the undertaker...

And the Monday morning quarterback's club has always complained about three things...the Head Coach/owner; the Quarterback; or the play selection or coaching staff. The negative cause hasn't changed an ounce over the years. But I remember well, when a fan could be positive about HIS team and without being challenged and ridiculed for being a fool...

Yea, Stephen Smith has a lot of the score correct...even if he is a traitor of Cowboys all the rest of the time.

Nad removal? Now that's a socially redeemable feature...:)

I'm not privy to the goings on of the Monday morning QB Club but I can understand the poor impression someone might get if things proceed as badly in those QB Club meetings as you've related here.

The complaints concerning what's happening during games in AT&T Stadium is largely the result of the accommodations being overpriced for the average blue collar guy such as myself, imho. Then again, I've heard things were much the same in Texas Stadium long before the new structure came into being. It would be great if that weren't the case but I don't see it changing anytime soon, if ever. I'll more than likely remain content watching in my living room at home, since I can ill afford the cost of parking, admission and seating.

I'll confess that much of my image of the fan base has been a reflection of what I see within the confines of this website. There are many who see things optimistically here and then again, many others that see them from a more skeptical perspective. Needless to say, there are many others who reflect a middle of the road status as well. All in all, I have a favorable impression of the majority of our fans judging from what I'm seeing here.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
lmao worse fanbase? does he know any eagle fans? sounds to me he's just mad because of our success in the 90s, we still get more air time than his beloved giants and they won 2 superbowls in the last decade lol

...but they all are laughing at Cowboys fans!:lmao:

MileyDancer

Reaction score
I will say I CAN'T STAND when other Cowboys fans say, "we got 5 rings" to fans of other teams, and almost EVERYONE does it.

Section446

Reaction score
I don't wish harm on people, but I'd be okay if he just decided to retire and go into hiding.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He's just trying to drum-up viewers...probably from casual Cowboy fans. Lord knows he has to do something because he's lost his punching bag, Skip Bayless, and ESPN is nose-diving in viewership/subscribers. The whole "TMZ of the Sports World" shtick is turning people off. Good riddance.