Stephen Jones’ Annual Approach to Safety

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Knowing what they are trying to do defensively I don't know how they could go into the confidently go into the season with what they have at FS.

I would argue that FS is the most important position for us in this scheme.

They have to have an ace up their sleeve. A trade, a CB conversion, or Earl Thomas needs to happen.

HungryLion

Reaction score
LOL

He made the joke about how it just hasn't worked out at safety but all I could think of is that once Grant went off the board, it was an easy layup to go get Moehrig.

I believe when Stephen says “it didn’t work out at safety” like he says every single year after the draft, is because a first round safety talent didn’t fall to the cowboys at round 4.

that’s what he means.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Knowing what they are trying to do defensively I don't know how they could go into the confidently go into the season with what they have at FS.

They have to have an ace up their sleeve. A trade, a CB conversion, or Earl Thomas needs to happen.

“Hey Jeff, this is Jerry Jones....say, whut are you up to this Sunday?” — Jerruh

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Quinn is going with the same free safety he had last year lol.....why wouldn't he?

dsturgeon

Reaction score
8 out 11 were draft picks to make the defense better, and not an offensive pick until the 7th pick, and people can find something to complain about

If there was a safety valued in the draft where they were picking, they would of gotten one. If there was a FA they valued, they would have taken him.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
So are we going to stop pretending like the safety position is why we haven't won anything in 25 years? Are we going to pretend like if we had a free safety last year we would've won a ring?

No 1 player would have won you a ring last year, that doesn’t mean you refuse to upgrade a position

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
8 out 11 were draft picks to make the defense better, and not an offensive pick until the 7th pick, and people can find something to complain about

If there was a safety valued in the draft where they were picking, they would of gotten one. If there was a FA they valued, they would have taken him.
THIS - Is Cowboys Zone

Sydla

Reaction score

LOL. Did you just become a fan? They have had literally years to upgrade the FS and they refuse. Other than a flirtation with Earl Thomas, they have largely ignored any chance at real improvement at the FS position.

It takes a special kind of homer to defend what they have done at FS over the years.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No 1 player would have won you a ring last year, that doesn’t mean you refuse to upgrade a position
What do you mean upgrade? I think anything over what we had last year is a "upgrade". Fact is, we all want Troy Polamalu, Ed Reed, Earl Thomas...this is who we think of when we think of the safety position. But because we have trash at the position fans will take anything without realizing that most of what they want is trash. These safeties we covet every year go on to be exactly like the trash we have at the position.......

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I agree. People are just heartbroken they passed up Moehrig who the whole league passed up on at least once...is Moehrig a "upgrade" over Kazee? Probably not.

I'm not gonna give them a pass for how they've handled the position over the years but I'm not gonna knock them for not taking one in this years draft just for the sake of taking one....that's not the correct approach either.

Sydla

Reaction score
I agree. People are just heartbroken they passed up Moehrig who the whole league passed up on at least once...is Moehrig a "upgrade" over Kazee? Probably not.

I'm not gonna give them a pass for how they've handled the position over the years but I'm not gonna knock them for not taking one in this years draft just for the sake of taking one....that's not the correct approach either.

Kazee is coming off a serious leg injury. We have no idea how good he's going to be if he can even play at all, frankly.

They have butchered FS for years. It's not just this draft. It's every draft. They clearly think FS is a position, like DT, they can throw some slop at and hope it works out........... year after year after year after year after year.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Expecting Kazee to be at 100% for September is ambitious.

Who has to start and stop suddenly more than an NFL DB?

It's not even a guarantee that he returns to his former self.

Next draft, they will be patching whatever gaping hole opened between now and then, and safety will have not "worked out" yet again.

I've seen the movie. Many times.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Kazee is coming off a serious leg injury. We have no idea how good he's going to be if he can even play at all, frankly.

They have butchered FS for years. It's not just this draft. It's every draft. They clearly think FS is a position, like DT, they can throw some slop at and hope it works out........... year after year after year after year after year.
Oh of course they do. They don't value the position. Its clear. I'm just not sure if they should over other positions.....

And I'd assume there's no concern over Kazee or they wouldn't have brought him in. But I don't disagree they don't value the position. That's quite clear.