Stephen Jones’ Annual Approach to Safety

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
But there is no guarantee he'll be the same player. And he has a heightened risk of recurring injury in that foot.

He's the only true FS we have on the roster unless you think Wilson can play there.
I thought they brought Kearse in to play backup free safety and special teams?

cowboyec

Reaction score
his annual approach is to laugh after each draft about not getting one.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well you put it that way....you're right.

What's sad....if I was Jerry....I'd run it exactly the same way. Especially if I had 3 rings so sadly I don' see this changing anytime soon.
I’m the exact opposite. I want to win more than anything else. If after 25 years of doing things a certain way I hadn’t even been close to a championship, I would get some people in here that would be accountable for results but let them run the football side.

The crazy thing is, Jerry would still get a ton of credit if he ever let some experts run this thing. But he’s either too insecure or too jaded to allow that.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think they got a good idea on Kazee , they trust their training staff. Wilson in a pinch yes can play there, they also drafted some of these other guys to try out at FS too, that's where they said Wright would start out. I'm going to trust Quinn has a plan.

Putting trust in the Cowboys. LOL.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I’m the exact opposite. I want to win more than anything else. If after 25 years of doing things a certain way I hadn’t even been close to a championship, I would get some people in here that would be accountable for results but let them run the football side.

The crazy thing is, Jerry would still get a ton of credit if he ever let some experts run this thing. But he’s either too insecure or too jaded to allow that.
I'd be right here with you if I never won anything. But if I became a self made billionaire.....3 Super Bowl rings...Hall of Fame.......only thing left is for me to do it one way lol.

Sydla

Reaction score
I am not defending any decisions, I get why there is not a really good safety on this team. Did you think about those FS questions? If there are only a few elite safeties in the league, out of 32 teams, what does that tell you? I am no expert, but I would bet the good ones tend to be on team with really good corners and dlines. When the qb is getting hit and making mistakes, he throws bad passes. When the corners are good, the FS looks good.

The front office has neglected the defense, but they have a really good offense. What team is top of the league in both? How can you pay a safety big money, when it is at the bottom of the list of positions you need to pay, and make a good team?

I read your point and countered with the FACT there is a big difference and a lot of area between an elite FS and the crap the Cowboys put at FS.

It’s not an issue that just plagued this team. They have been deficient at S for years and years. They don’t value the position even watching year after year their team get inferior S play.

But they will always have fans making excuses for them, I guess.

Dre11

Reaction score
Putting trust in the Cowboys. LOL.

Either you're a fan and believe they get it right and actually enjoy being a fan or you're a fan that constantly find something to be skeptical about and be a miserable fan, I choose the former. It's not like they're doing nothing at FS.

Dre11

Reaction score
I read your point and countered with the FACT there is a big difference and a lot of area between an elite FS and the crap the Cowboys put at FS.

It’s not an issue that just plagued this team. They have been deficient at S for years and years. They don’t value the position even watching year after year their team get inferior S play.

But they will always have fans making excuses for them, I guess.

You're not totally right either, they went after Jamal Adams and also had discussion about Fitzpatrick, which both teams wanted premium package that nobody here wanted them to give up.

lk8701

Reaction score
Eagles ignore LB
WFT ignore QB
Cowboys ignore FS

WFT recent 1st round QBs: RG3 (multiple picks) and Haskins. Cowboys ignore QB but they got lucky with Romo (undrafted) and Dak (4th round). Between Aikman and Romo their biggest investment via draft capital was Quincy Carter (2nd round).

fivetwos

Reaction score

He does, actually truly believe he is the best man for the job.

Sydla

Reaction score
Either you're a fan and believe they get it right and actually enjoy being a fan or you're a fan that constantly find something to be skeptical about and be a miserable fan, I choose the former. It's not like they're doing nothing at FS.

I’ll believe it when I see it is the position I have learned to take with this team when it comes to things like this.

They are doing the bare minimum at FS like they have in the past and keep telling themselves they are doing it right.

It’s the frying pan in the face theory. After getting hit a few times most people learn it hurt. The Jones’ apparently think the next time it won’t.

Sydla

Reaction score
You're not totally right either, they went after Jamal Adams and also had discussion about Fitzpatrick, which both teams wanted premium package that nobody here wanted them to give up.

It actually somewhat proves my point. They undervalue players at the position hence why they wouldn’t pay anything above bargain level for the position. It’s not a surprise they may have flirted with Thomas and Adams and Fitzpatrick. It’s also not a surprise they landed none of them when they realized none would come for their below market value they thought they had.

Dre11

Reaction score
It actually somewhat proves my point. They undervalue players at the position hence why they wouldn’t pay anything above bargain level for the position. It’s not a surprise they may have flirted with Thomas and Adams and Fitzpatrick. It’s also not a surprise they landed none of them when they realized none would come for their below market value they thought they had.

you say that but if they had paid what either of the teams had paid, you'd and everyone on the board would be up in arms. that was the case when they went after them. you cant have it both ways

Sydla

Reaction score
you say that but if they had paid what either of the teams had paid, you'd and everyone on the board would be up in arms. that was the case when they went after them. you cant have it both ways

I’d be up in arms if they had brought in a really good FS in Fitzpatrick?

LOL. You obviously don’t know me that well.

Dre11

Reaction score
I’d be up in arms if they had brought in a really good FS in Fitzpatrick?

LOL. You obviously don’t know me that well.
I know the majority of the board didn't want to give what Pittsburgh gave up. it was only a few who wanted them to pay, I know I was with all 3 safety.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
We signed Kazee and Neal in the offseason and Mukuamu is going to play safety. Wilson has been outstanding making multiple splash plays in each blitzing, coverage, and pursuit.

They can say want they want but I look at the numbers at S and the numbers at LB and Neal needs to be a S.

You can and should play Wilson and Neal as the two S most of the time if Kazoo cannot go. There are all kinds of things you can do with cover 2, split fields, quarters and the like. Wilson nor Neal are elite speedsters but both run pretty well. We have added a 4.4 and 4.5 LB as well.

At the end of the day as bad as DBs like Woods, Robinson, and Thompson were they paled in comparison to Rondell Carter, Eli Ankou, Dontari Poe, Everson Griffin, Jaylon Smith, and the corpse of Sean Lee.

Early in the year we were giving up a lot of big plays because of blown assignments but as the year went on we bottled all that up and started making plays of our own. The coverage in the middle of the field was more an issue of shoddy LB play than it was the S although occasionally Thompson would get isolated.

The real issue is we were getting dominated at the LOS.