Stephen Jones blames the salary cap for not pursuing Derrick Henry

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but all he had to do was restructure 1 or 2 players. Think about it, he's paying Zeke what, $2-3M but could find another $5-6M to pay Henry? Odd he would say this .......

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...failure-to-pursue-derrick-henry-on-salary-cap

Stephen Jones blames failure to pursue Derrick Henry on salary cap​

Published May 6, 2024 04:14 PM

Ravens running back Derrick Henry had interest in at least hearing from the Cowboys in free agency. The Cowboys, however, never called.

Appearing with Adam Schein of SiriusXM Mad Dog Radio, Cowboys executive V.P. Stephen Jones addressed the failure to make a phone call to Henry.

“Well, first of all, nothing but respect for Derrick Henry,” Jones said. “I mean, he’s one of the top backs in this league. He’s had one of the great careers in this league. I wish him nothing but the best with the Ravens. I’m sure a great place for him. Our situation is just, you know, and no one ever wants to say it, but it’s salary cap, and we just didn’t have the money to allocate to that position in terms of where we were from a cap standpoint, knowing what we’re looking at with Dak [Prescott] and certainly Micah [Parsons] and CeeDee Lamb. We just didn’t have those type of resources to allocate to that position or we probably would’ve already had it filled with Tony Pollard. We hated to lose Tony Pollard. We had to lose Zeke the year before from a cap standpoint. And, you know, we just didn’t have the dollars to allocate to the running back position. And, certainly, looking to do it in a more efficient way in terms of how it complements the rest of our offensive roster.”

No clue who PFT who is in the pic.......don't think it's Henry though

Gambit

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but all he had to do was restructure 1 or 2 players. Think about it, he's paying Zeke what, $4-5M
2 mil against cap for Zeke he can earn another Mil in incentives

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our situation is just, you know, and no one ever wants to say it, but it’s salary cap, and we just didn’t have the money to allocate to that position in terms of where we were from a cap standpoint
thanks-obvious.gif

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
The whole Dak situation is holding everything back. They probably don't want to pay him. Otherwise it would have happened already. It is really odd.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
People love to rag on Jerry(understandable hes warranted it) but Stephen is going to be a 1000x worse then his father . You think we have been a joke since Jerry ego took over buckle up
At least with Jerry in charge things were exciting. My optimism under Jerry may have been through delusion, but it was still optimism. When Stephen Jones speaks to the media I can't tell if he's really that dumb, or just thinks we are that dumb?

FoxF

Reaction score
Some teams the cap always seem to be an issue while others act like it does not exist. The Cowboys should have sighed him for one last run with this roster but seem to be mailing this year in.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The whole Dak situation is holding everything back. They probably don't want to pay him. Otherwise it would have happened already. It is really odd.
No. Jerry and his son are holding everything back. Dak Prescott is being paid $29 million for the 2024 season from this point on. The Ravens have their quarterback signed to a five year $260,000,000 contract, The Ravens organization have figured out how to sign their QB to one of the largest contracts in NFL history and still, somehow, they can sign Henry. The salary cap is the exact same for all 32 teams. The only difference is how teams choose to manage it. Stop with the absurd nonsense that the Dak situation is holding everything back. The cap scenario in deference to Dak’s contract is Jerry’s decision. It is the team’s plan. They don’t know what they want to do.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but all he had to do was restructure 1 or 2 players. Think about it, he's paying Zeke what, $2-3M but could find another $5-6M to pay Henry? Odd he would say this .......

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...failure-to-pursue-derrick-henry-on-salary-cap

Stephen Jones blames failure to pursue Derrick Henry on salary cap​

Published May 6, 2024 04:14 PM

Ravens running back Derrick Henry had interest in at least hearing from the Cowboys in free agency. The Cowboys, however, never called.

Appearing with Adam Schein of SiriusXM Mad Dog Radio, Cowboys executive V.P. Stephen Jones addressed the failure to make a phone call to Henry.

“Well, first of all, nothing but respect for Derrick Henry,” Jones said. “I mean, he’s one of the top backs in this league. He’s had one of the great careers in this league. I wish him nothing but the best with the Ravens. I’m sure a great place for him. Our situation is just, you know, and no one ever wants to say it, but it’s salary cap, and we just didn’t have the money to allocate to that position in terms of where we were from a cap standpoint, knowing what we’re looking at with Dak [Prescott] and certainly Micah [Parsons] and CeeDee Lamb. We just didn’t have those type of resources to allocate to that position or we probably would’ve already had it filled with Tony Pollard. We hated to lose Tony Pollard. We had to lose Zeke the year before from a cap standpoint. And, you know, we just didn’t have the dollars to allocate to the running back position. And, certainly, looking to do it in a more efficient way in terms of how it complements the rest of our offensive roster.”

No clue who PFT who is in the pic.......don't think it's Henry though

Well i think they showed Henry their plan for 24 and Henry said: "thanks for the invitation, bye"

TwentyOne

Reaction score
No. Jerry and his son are holding everything back. Dak Prescott is being paid $29 million for the 2024 season from this point on. The Ravens have their quarterback signed to a five year $260,000,000 contract, The Ravens organization have figured out how to sign their QB to one of the largest contracts in NFL history and still, somehow, they can sign Henry. The salary cap is the exact same for all 32 teams. The only difference is how teams choose to manage it. Stop with the absurd nonsense that the Dak situation is holding everything back. The cap scenario in deference to Dak’s contract is Jerry’s decision. It is the team’s plan. They don’t know what they want to do.
What dak gets paid in 24 has nothing to do with his cap hit.

Those numbers you are throwing around have no meaning if you dont understand them.