Stephen Jones blames the salary cap for not pursuing Derrick Henry

HungryLion

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but all he had to do was restructure 1 or 2 players. Think about it, he's paying Zeke what, $2-3M but could find another $5-6M to pay Henry? Odd he would say this .......

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...failure-to-pursue-derrick-henry-on-salary-cap

Stephen Jones blames failure to pursue Derrick Henry on salary cap​

Published May 6, 2024 04:14 PM

Ravens running back Derrick Henry had interest in at least hearing from the Cowboys in free agency. The Cowboys, however, never called.

Appearing with Adam Schein of SiriusXM Mad Dog Radio, Cowboys executive V.P. Stephen Jones addressed the failure to make a phone call to Henry.

“Well, first of all, nothing but respect for Derrick Henry,” Jones said. “I mean, he’s one of the top backs in this league. He’s had one of the great careers in this league. I wish him nothing but the best with the Ravens. I’m sure a great place for him. Our situation is just, you know, and no one ever wants to say it, but it’s salary cap, and we just didn’t have the money to allocate to that position in terms of where we were from a cap standpoint, knowing what we’re looking at with Dak [Prescott] and certainly Micah [Parsons] and CeeDee Lamb. We just didn’t have those type of resources to allocate to that position or we probably would’ve already had it filled with Tony Pollard. We hated to lose Tony Pollard. We had to lose Zeke the year before from a cap standpoint. And, you know, we just didn’t have the dollars to allocate to the running back position. And, certainly, looking to do it in a more efficient way in terms of how it complements the rest of our offensive roster.”

No clue who PFT who is in the pic.......don't think it's Henry though

Why is it odd he would say it? HE IS INCOMPETENT. He only has his job because daddy owns the company.

Sydla

Reaction score
The pain in signing the deal Henry signed would be eating $3.8MM in dead money next year if you had to cut him.

Stephen is basically telling you they aren't even trying at this point.

And the fact Jerry will likely pass on soon and this blubbering idiot is going to have ALL THE CONTROL should scare every Cowboys fans. Every single one.

Although I am open to the possibility that these guys really are morons and don't understand their own cap, how the overall cap works and are totally perplexed how other teams seemingly in the same position as them can somehow make it work every offseason.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The FO is inept at salary cap manipulation and Daks salary is now way over his performance.

The two things aren't mutually exclusive.....welcome to the 2024 season
Dak’s worth in deference to his performance is not calculated by football fans, it is not calculated by Dak, it is not calculated by Todd France, it is not calculated by Jerry Jones and his son. Dak’s worth is determined by the 32 NFL franchise ownership groups, collectively. If Dak Prescott wants to be paid to play in the National Football League he’ll have to accept the offer he likes the most from one of those 32 ownership groups. There are fans, there are players, there are agents, the are television and streaming networks. None of those entities own the NFL. The 32 groups that do ultimately will decide what Dak Prescott will be paid. How the team that signs him decides to manage his compensation under the CBA’s salary cap mandates is entirely up to the that team. Welcome to the Dallas Cowboys.

J_Allen

Reaction score
We can't afford all three of them and have a competitive team so two have to go. Being that Parsons disappears towards the end of the season I would lean towards Trading him.

MojaveJT

Reaction score
Why does it seem like the Cowboys are the only ones that bring up cap issues? I admit I don’t follow other teams as closely but the root issues is this incompetent FO.

plasticman

Reaction score
Jerry Jones blames the salary cap for not being able to just go out and by a SB championship.

He's always been somewhat miffed that championships are won by hard work, dedication, and commitment by those at every level of the organization from the deep snapper to the GM.

JayFord

Reaction score
You wouldn't persue him if you had 90 million to spend on the cap

You and your honest offers would offer a 5th of doodoo and call it a day

Stephen irks me to no end

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Better hope Jerry stays around for a while otherwise Stephen may not spend any money, lol.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but all he had to do was restructure 1 or 2 players. Think about it, he's paying Zeke what, $2-3M but could find another $5-6M to pay Henry? Odd he would say this .......

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profo...failure-to-pursue-derrick-henry-on-salary-cap

Ravens running back Derrick Henry had interest in at least hearing from the Cowboys in free agency. The Cowboys, however, never called.

Appearing with Adam Schein of SiriusXM Mad Dog Radio, Cowboys executive V.P. Stephen Jones addressed the failure to make a phone call to Henry.

“Well, first of all, nothing but respect for Derrick Henry,” Jones said. “I mean, he’s one of the top backs in this league. He’s had one of the great careers in this league. I wish him nothing but the best with the Ravens. I’m sure a great place for him. Our situation is just, you know, and no one ever wants to say it, but it’s salary cap, and we just didn’t have the money to allocate to that position in terms of where we were from a cap standpoint, knowing what we’re looking at with Dak [Prescott] and certainly Micah [Parsons] and CeeDee Lamb. We just didn’t have those type of resources to allocate to that position or we probably would’ve already had it filled with Tony Pollard. We hated to lose Tony Pollard. We had to lose Zeke the year before from a cap standpoint. And, you know, we just didn’t have the dollars to allocate to the running back position. And, certainly, looking to do it in a more efficient way in terms of how it complements the rest of our offensive roster.”

We had $5.3M before the trade for Trance.

infamousstyles

Reaction score
Lol. Stephen thinks all cowboy fans are so consumed with the team that we're not paying attention to what other front offices are doing.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Stephen blaming the salary cap is basically him blaming himself.

Great job accepting responsibility Jr.

tm1119

Reaction score
Dallas pushed some of Dak's money forward several times so that his cap hit was manageable. Other teams do it. This is also Lamar's 2nd year of his new contract, and Dak's 4th. That's why it's easier for them. Take a look at Lamar's 2026 cap hit. That's his 4th year, and they haven't pushed any money forward yet.

Dallas just doesn't want to push any more money forward and eat a large cap hit this year.
They just restructured Dak last off-season. If there was even an inkling of doubt about Dak you don’t do that. Bottom line is the Jones’ backed themselves into a corner and now have no real way out. Dak accounting for this big of a cap hit and then letting him walk for nothing while also eating dead cap $ in 2025 would be 1 of the all time biggest blunders in sports management history. At this point it’s either extend or find a trade partner

Chasing6

Reaction score
They just restructured Dak last off-season. If there was even an inkling of doubt about Dak you don’t do that. Bottom line is the Jones’ backed themselves into a corner and now have no real way out. Dak accounting for this big of a cap hit and then letting him walk for nothing while also eating dead cap $ in 2025 would be 1 of the all time biggest blunders in sports management history. At this point it’s either extend or find a trade partner
I agree with you, but Dak is not going to agree to a trade.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree with you, but Dak is not going to agree to a trade.
72ZC.gif

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I get the feeling Stephen Jones has absolutely no friends or people he respects that can talk to him. Because if he did have a real friend, they would pull him aside and tell him to just….shut up.

A real friend or even family member should tell him he looks like the fat entitled son of the owner he is. Not a football executive who earned his way to run football operations.

At least if Giggles Jones kept his mouth shut people could forget his ham fisted work as Jerry’s favorite son. Instead of reminding us that no other team in this league would hire him as a ticket taker, much less a GM.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I get the feeling Stephen Jones has absolutely no friends or people he respects that can talk to him. Because if he did have a real friend, they would pull him aside and tell him to just….shut up.

A real friend or even family member should tell him he looks like the fat entitled son of the owner he is. Not a football executive who earned his way to run football operations.

At least if Giggles Jones kept his mouth shut people could forget his ham fisted work as Jerry’s favorite son. Instead of reminding us that no other team in this league would hire him as a ticket taker, much less a GM.
Better to stay silent and let people wonder if you are a fool then to open your mouth and prove it so