Stephen Jones' comments at owners meeting

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And Kellen Moore won more games than any QB in college football history (big freakin' deal). What's your point? The history of the league is littered with amazing college QBs with a laundry list of records broken who were vitrual nobodies in the NFL. I'm all for taking a QB if the scouts deem one of these guys to be the next franchise guy. The rub is that the QB position in this draft has more questions than any other position on the field.

Bu bu bu but, he broke Aaron Rodgers records! Psh. Please.

:rolleyes:

So your position is to never draft one then? For fear of missing? What the NFL is even more "littered with" are quarterbacks drafted later who never amounted to anything. The numbers on those far outweigh any misses on first rounders. People like you will use this rhetoric when it's been proven to be patently false. The best quarterbacks come from the first round and the highest chance for success is there.

Yes IF you can get one. Drafting one just to draft one is beyond stupid.

Like I said, If the scouting department deems one of these guys the next franchise QB, then hell yeah, take the plunge. To this point NOT ONE of the QBs in this draft have distinguished themselves as that guy by any consensus.

Seriously? Where does the "consensus" put both of these quarterbacks?

I'll tell you where everyone has them - in the Top 10, that's where. So if somebody's wrong about them? Everybody's wrong about them. It won't be the first time, it won't be the last. Consensus picks miss too, but the chances for success are higher when most everyone agrees.

Goff isn't someone who has suddenly burst onto the scene. That guy has been putting up great stats for his entire high school and college career. You're not going to find a much safer pick and consistant body of work. If that's not enough for you to pull the trigger, you're gun shy and you never will. You'll end up just like Jerry Jones with the Carters, Hutchinsons, and Hensons of the world thinking that maybe you can outsmart the system.

And you'll fail, just like Jerry Jones too.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
I'm late to this discussion. Are you saying you only want to draft players where it's the "lead pipe truth" they are stars?

That would be impossible (as we both know). But can you name a position group at the top of this draft with more question marks than the QB position?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That would be impossible (as we both know). But can you name a position group at the top of this draft with more question marks than the QB position?

Sure, any of them.

How about Elliott? Can he be as effective without an offensive line opening up massive, gaping holes for him?

Ramsey? Is he a cornerback or a safety? Is he a true playmaker with just 3 INT's for his career?

Bosa? Is he the rumored pothead some think? Is a player with 5 sacks last year worth a top 10 pick?

You name any of them and there are plenty of questions one can ask.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Seriously? Where does the "consensus" put both of these quarterbacks?

At the top of the round in a draft that is seriously devoid of not only QB talent but talent in general sans the DT and DB position. This turd of a year is going to go down as worse than 2009 league wide.

And, yes, the chances of succeeding when picking a QB in the 1st is much higher than any other round. Here's a hint for ya Mr. Wizard: That's true of every single position on the field.

You're on fire today.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At the top of the round in a draft that is seriously devoid of not only QB talent but talent in general sans the DT and DB position. This turd of a year is going to go down as worse than 2009 league wide.

And, yes, the chances of succeeding when picking a QB in the 1st is much higher than any other round. Here's a hint for ya Mr. Wizard: That's true of every single position on the field.

You're on fire today.

At least I support my portion with the facts behind it. While someone like you dances around with vague generalities amounting to nothing more than noise.

But you keep on keepin' on...

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
they whiffed in FA pure and simple. An amazing draft can make up for it.

You can blame the NFL cap, and I'm talking about the bottom feeders needing to hit the floor in order to avoid paying the NFLPA a huge check.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That's debatable. There are so few quality QBs that that could be true but that would also make the value of the player much greater.

I'm amazed that this even has to be debated and I suspect it wouldn't be if the Jones twins would have came out after the season and announced their intention to take a QB in the draft rather than turning their nose up and claiming Romo's got too many years left. This is coming from the defend the team at all costs crowd. The "I'll support whoever they pick" fanbots.

Our QB is a cripple. We are in position now. Teams spend years and years trying to find a quality QB and our front office sucks at talent evaluation. If we stand any chance whatsoever to avoid QB have not years once Romo is gone we better take advantage of our draft positioning this year. It is unfathomable to me to be even talking about cornerbacks and linebackers and defensive ends or tackles with that pick. These are supporting cast type players. We are talking about the QB position here.

I can't stress enough how important this pick is for this football team.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
they whiffed in FA pure and simple. An amazing draft can make up for it.

The people who cry 'whiff' now in FA are likely the same people who are first to complain when the Cowboys sign someone and he doesn't perform like an All-Pro.

Did the Giants hit home runs with their FA signings this year? Almost $200M for 4 or 5 players. Or would you like to wait a year and then answer?

skinsscalper

Reaction score
At least I support my portion with the facts behind it. While someone like you dances around with vague generalities amounting to nothing more than noise.

But you keep on keepin' on...

Exactly what "facts" have you presented that says anything more than "this is what I'm going to pout about if we don't do it". Reminds me of the Adrian Peterson posts you had last season. "The Vikings should just trade Peterson to us because they're gonna suck anyway. He's being wasted on that team".....................meanwhile.........

Good times.

Let's see, you've reference some arbitrary facts about some college records (which have historically proved meaningless).

Blessed us with the knowledge that you have a higher success rate drafting a player in the 1st round (No ****? Ya don't say).

Did I miss anything? If this is your list of facts, then I've got a couple for ya and we're even. Water is wet and the sun rises from the east.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exactly what "facts" have you presented that says anything more than "this is what I'm going to pout about if we don't do it". Reminds me of the Adrian Peterson posts you had last season. "The Vikings should just trade Peterson to us because they're gonna suck anyway. He's being wasted on that team".....................meanwhile.........

Good times.

And your point here is what exactly?

Let's see, you've reference some arbitrary facts about some college records (which have historically proved meaningless).

Blessed us with the knowledge that you have a higher success rate drafting a player in the 1st round (No ****? Ya don't say).

And yet some idiot will come along and say we shouldn't draft one. Don't worry, I won't mention names. Yeah, facts and college records mean nothing, but nothing more than your opinion does...

Did I miss anything? If this is your list of facts, then I've got a couple for ya and we're even. Water is wet and the sun rises from the east.

It looks like you missed everything.

And yet you'll still apparently say otherwise based on nothing more than your opinion...

:laugh:

skinsscalper

Reaction score
That's debatable. There are so few quality QBs that that could be true but that would also make the value of the player much greater.

I'm amazed that this even has to be debated and I suspect it wouldn't be if the Jones twins would have came out after the season and announced their intention to take a QB in the draft rather than turning their nose up and claiming Romo's got too many years left. This is coming from the defend the team at all costs crowd. The "I'll support whoever they pick" fanbots.

Our QB is a cripple. We are in position now. Teams spend years and years trying to find a quality QB and our front office sucks at talent evaluation. If we stand any chance whatsoever to avoid QB have not years once Romo is gone we better take advantage of our draft positioning this year. It is unfathomable to me to be even talking about cornerbacks and linebackers and defensive ends or tackles with that pick. These are supporting cast type players. We are talking about the QB position here.

Believe it or not, I'm in lock step with you on 99% of this (I don't agree with you that we should make our draft strategy any kind of public statement).

I was on Moving the Chains with Pat Kirwin and Jim Miller a couple of weeks ago on SIrius XM NFL Radio and said on air that if Wentz was there at #4 I'm running to the podium (I wouldn't have a problem with Goff is Wentz was off the board). Wentz physical traits are the tie-breaker for me. I think the kid is smart and will study the game at a Peyton Manning level (that, of course is just my opinion/hope).

But, I'd be lying if I said that the idea of whiffing on either one doesn't scare the living **** out of me. Again, I could care less about the financial investment. I just don't think we'll be picking this high again for a long time. I could be wrong (it sure the hell wouldn't be the first or last time).

skinsscalper

Reaction score
And yet some idiot will come along and say we shouldn't draft one. Don't worry, I won't mention names. Yeah, facts and college records mean nothing, but nothing more than your opinion does...

:laugh:

Oh, I'm not worried about you naming any names, Einstein. Because you won't find a single thread on this entire board where I said we shouldn't.

Keep riding that train to Stupidville.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Believe it or not, I'm in lock step with you on 99% of this (I don't agree with you that we should make our draft strategy any kind of public statement).

I was on Moving the Chains with Pat Kirwin and Jim Miller a couple of weeks ago on SIrius XM NFL Radio and said on air that if Wentz was there at #4 I'm running to the podium (I wouldn't have a problem with Goff is Wentz was off the board). Wentz physical traits are the tie-breaker for me. I think the kid is smart and will study the game at a Peyton Manning level (that, of course is just my opinion/hope).

But, I'd be lying if I said that the idea of whiffing on either one doesn't scare the living **** out of me. Again, I could care less about the financial investment. I just don't think we'll be picking this high again for a long time. I could be wrong (it sure the hell wouldn't be the first or last time).

Would you trade up to 1 for Carson?

Yes. I am testing your faith here.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I wouldn't put too much effort into this, some people just aren't smart enough to understand it.

One one hand, he'll say this himself:

"Unfortunately there isn't another position on the entire field where the play has a more direct impact on the success of your team. "

But then turn around and argue with someone who sees the value in drafting a quarterback. He doesn't even have a position himself other than 'whatever the team decides', it's simply arguing for the sake of arguing.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't put too much effort into this, some people just aren't smart enough to understand it.

"Unfortunately there isn't another position on the entire field where the play has a more direct impact on the success of your team. "

But then turn around and argue with someone who sees the value in drafting a quarterback. He doesn't even have a position himself other than 'whatever the team decides', it's simply arguing for the sake of arguing.

You just can't be scared to pull the trigger. You shouldn't be employing scouts that you don't trust. It may take us several attempts to get the right QB. Let's start the process now, is all I'm saying. I do not want this team to enter seasons with no chance to compete because we have no QB. That is the worst place to be in sports.

skinsscalper

Reaction score

Adrian Peterson

Aaaaannd it looks like you're wrong again, genius. My reply to his post is right up there and amazingly doesn't look like anything you thought I would post. You are SO smart! Go get em tiger.