Stephen Jones' comments at owners meeting

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
You just can't be scared to pull the trigger. You shouldn't be employing scouts that you don't trust. It may take us several attempts to get the right QB. Let's start the process now, is all I'm saying. I do not want this team to enter seasons with no chance to compete because we have no QB. That is the worst place to be in sports.

You need to just relax. Dak Prescott is good enough for now. That way you have more high picks to use for "impact players".

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You just can't be scared to pull the trigger. You shouldn't be employing scouts that you don't trust. It may take us several attempts to get the right QB. Let's start the process now, is all I'm saying. I do not want this team to enter seasons with no chance to compete because we have no QB. That is the worst place to be in sports.

And I will say this for myself. I question the opinions and credentials of everyone inside the building right now, especially when it comes to quarterback.

Not only is there history of neglecting the value, there is a track record of misevaluating, failure to develop, and a failure to coach. Between the Joneses and their moves, draft misses, and the track record of Garrett, Linehan, and Wade Wilson, I have little to no faith in what any of them think.

I put more faith in the outside consensus of opinions on these two quarterbacks than I do anyone inside that building.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Don't make me go all trade chart on ya.

Let's say the Titans offer 1 for 4, 34, 101 and a 2017 2nd, I'd do that deal.

You have to imagine the scenario. My scouting department is telling me this is the guy. These are the guys I employ to make this determination and their intel is this player is our franchise QB for the next decade. I have to make the deal. I can not allow the lowly Cleveland Browns to steal the player. It's too important to our future.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Definitely. And if you can provide me proof of that being the case I would certainly change my mind.

But, to date, no one has.

I don't have proof that he's a "psycho", because medical psychological evaluations of him are not floating around the internet.

I do know, though, that he has done incredibly stupid things after the DV incident that make me wonder what exactly is up with him. I agree with what Brandon Marshall said a few months ago -

"When I look at Greg and how he's handled himself on the field and in the locker room, I see a guy who is not aware. He doesn't understand the magnitude what happened last year, what he did and the atmosphere surrounding the NFL. I don't think he gets it. I don't think that he learned his lesson. He really needs to look at himself in the mirror and ask himself, 'What type of person do I want to be?'"

Also, one of Hardy's former teammates in Carolina had this to say -

...there are other times when he’s just unmanageable. And that’s why I think things have gotten in trouble with his personal life. He’s going have to go a long ways to earn the trust of any organization, whether it be Dallas or any other franchise across the league.

Don't just look at it as "JG can't handle Hardy". Is he really "unmanageable"? Has he done what was needed of him to earn the trust of this organization?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Believe it or not, I'm in lock step with you on 99% of this (I don't agree with you that we should make our draft strategy any kind of public statement).

I was on Moving the Chains with Pat Kirwin and Jim Miller a couple of weeks ago on SIrius XM NFL Radio and said on air that if Wentz was there at #4 I'm running to the podium (I wouldn't have a problem with Goff is Wentz was off the board). Wentz physical traits are the tie-breaker for me. I think the kid is smart and will study the game at a Peyton Manning level (that, of course is just my opinion/hope).

But, I'd be lying if I said that the idea of whiffing on either one doesn't scare the living **** out of me. Again, I could care less about the financial investment. I just don't think we'll be picking this high again for a long time. I could be wrong (it sure the hell wouldn't be the first or last time).

Then I don't understand why you're vociferously arguing the topic with me?

You can be scared about each and every player busting. There's not a player in the draft who is a guarantee.

But if you keep going down that road, you'll never draft one. And if you don't this year, you're likely to not be in the same position for a long, long time.

The financial investment is based on the draft position, not the player so busting at quarterback isn't financially worse.

Take a look at the current NFL landscape, where guys like Bradford and Vosuins are making $18 and $19 million a year and ask yourself if you're ready to go back to being one of the league's have-nots at quarterback?

Again, there's no such thing as a sure thing and any player can bust, but wouldn't you rather get one where you have the proven best odds for succes? In a league where half the league is scrambling to find one? And you can't get one anywhere other than in the draft?

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Don't make me go all trade chart on ya.

Let's say the Titans offer 1 for 4, 34, 101 and a 2017 2nd, I'd do that deal.

You have to imagine the scenario. My scouting department is telling me this is the guy. These are the guys I employ to make this determination and their intel is this player is our franchise QB for the next decade. I have to make the deal. I can not allow the lowly Cleveland Browns to steal the player. It's too important to our future.

If my scouts are telling me this is THE guy. Yeah, I take that deal. However, I would have to also see how closely Goff graded out to Wentz in that scenario. If it was a coin toss, I take my chances that Goff is there at 4. Tennessee isn't drafting a QB, Cleveland is a lock to draft one, and San Diego may surprise everyone and take one but I hedge my bets against it.

If Wentz is heads above the next guy, I make the trade.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Then I don't understand why you're vociferously arguing the topic with me?

You can be scared about each and every player busting. There's not a player in the draft who is a guarantee.

But if you keep going down that road, you'll never draft one. And if you don't this year, you're likely to not be in the same position for a long, long time.

The financial investment is based on the draft position, not the player so busting at quarterback isn't financially worse.

Take a look at the current NFL landscape, where guys like Bradford and Vosuins are making $18 and $19 million a year and ask yourself if you're ready to go back to being one of the league's have-nots at quarterback?

Again, there's no such thing as a sure thing and any player can bust, but wouldn't you rather get one where you have the proven best odds for succes? In a league where half the league is scrambling to find one? And you can't get one anywhere other than in the draft?

Stash, I didn't start this dialogue. You did. I was simply having a conversation with another poster about what made me nervous about drafting a QB. Not once have I said that we shouldn't, dude. I simply replied to a post of mine that YOU quoted. Come on now, homie.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't have proof that he's a "psycho", because medical psychological evaluations of him are not floating around the internet.

I do know, though, that he has done incredibly stupid things after the DV incident that make me wonder what exactly is up with him.

Again, I have yet to see any solid evidence of any of these claims. You, nor anyone else has shown anything other than rumors.

While the vast majority said that they'd love to have him back as a teammate.

Don't just look at it as "JG can't handle Hardy". Is he really "unmanageable"? Has he done what was needed of him to earn the trust of this organization?

If this team signed him and expected that he'd suddenly turn into a Boy Scout, whose fault is that? Is it the fault of the leopard for not changing his spots? It's like marrying someone and then being mad when they don't change and they're the same person they were before. Whose fault is that?

The coaches "managed" Hardy for several years in Carolina and before the DV thing, the team saw fit to use their franchise tag on him. That surely shows that he was worth any of the other headaches. If he was "unmanageable", that wouldn't have happened.

Ron Rivera "managed" while Jason Garrett could not. But there are several things that Rivera has "managed" to do that Garrett has not.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stash, I didn't start this dialogue. You did. I was simply having a conversation with another poster about what made me nervous about drafting a QB. Not once have I said that we shouldn't, dude. I simply replied to a post of mine that YOU quoted. Come on now, homie.

It sounds like both of us misunderstood each other and let things get out of hand. I apologize for my part in it.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
As long as we get "value" and "instant impact" with the 4th pick, you should be on board.

Value depends on what the team is doing if we are rebuilding or are we going for it. While the Jones are being ambiguous in their words, their lack of activities in free agency speaks volumes on what the true goal is. So if we are in rebuild mode then taking our future QB this draft is the best value.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
It sounds like both of us misunderstood each other and let things get out of hand. I apologize for my part in it.

It's a message board, brotha. Debate is what it's all about. I'm not innocent of stepping over the line sometimes but I don't really take any of this personally. If you noticed, I was giving you likes in one thread while I was debating you in another (we absolutely agree on Carr). I like the idea of debating topics rather than people. It's more honest and devoid of bias that way. It's all good, man. We're going to agree on other topics and disagree on others. It's not going to discourage me from engaging with you from either side of the fence one way or the other. We're all good, man. This stuff is for fun. No hard feelings on this side of the keyboard, by any stretch of the imagination.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score

I do know, though, that he has done incredibly stupid things after the DV incident that make me wonder what exactly is up with him. I agree with what Brandon Marshall said a few months ago -

Brandon Marshall has a DV record. And that quote is from Mincey not a former Panther team mate.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Ron Rivera "managed" while Jason Garrett could not. But there are several things that Rivera has "managed" to do that Garrett has not.

What exactly do you mean Jason Garrett "couldn't manage" Hardy? He signed a one year deal, played through it, now he's a FA. He wasn't cut midseason. He played plenty of snaps.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's a message board, brotha. Debate is what it's all about. I'm not innocent of stepping over the line sometimes but I don't really take any of this personally. If you noticed, I was giving you likes in one thread while I was debating you in another (we absolutely agree on Carr). I like the idea of debating topics rather than people. It's more honest and devoid of bias that way. It's all good, man. We're going to agree on other topics and disagree on others. It's not going to discourage me from engaging with you from either side of the fence one way or the other. We're all good, man. This stuff is for fun. No hard feelings on this side of the keyboard, by any stretch of the imagination.

Likewise, thanks.

:thumbup:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What exactly do you mean Jason Garrett "couldn't manage" Hardy? He signed a one year deal, played through it, now he's a FA. He wasn't cut midseason. He played plenty of snaps.

I'm referring to the reasons being given for why Hardy was not being re-signed, defensive end is currently one of this team's biggest needs.