Recap: Stephen Jones on 105.3 - 04/19/16

Chuck 54

Reaction score
No one is calling Dallas about the #4 pick; why would they. No one knows who's going to be there.

We all know the Rams are taking a QB, probably Goff. Wentz is likely to go #2 unless the Browns can't find a trade partner. That #2 selection will create calls for SD at #3, depending on whether it's Wentz still sitting there or Tunsil. When we are on the clock at #4, that's when a team may come calling for Tunsil or for Wentz, depending on which player SD or a trade partner wants. No one is moving up in the top 4 for Elliott or Ramsey; they'll take their chances.

If Ramsey is still on the board at #4, I think that's the ideal situation for us to draft there. If he's gone, I think we'll try like crazy to trade down a bit, hoping someone wants Wentz or Tunsil bad enough....then we'll take Bosa or Lawson.

I don't think this draft could be any better for us than Ramsey at 4 and DL at 34.
If not, it's likely Bosa/Lawson in round 1 and CB/DL next two picks.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
No one is calling Dallas about the #4 pick; why would they. No one knows who's going to be there.

We all know the Rams are taking a QB, probably Goff. Wentz is likely to go #2 unless the Browns can't find a trade partner. That #2 selection will create calls for SD at #3, depending on whether it's Wentz still sitting there or Tunsil. When we are on the clock at #4, that's when a team may come calling for Tunsil or for Wentz, depending on which player SD or a trade partner wants. No one is moving up in the top 4 for Elliott or Ramsey; they'll take their chances.

If Ramsey is still on the board at #4, I think that's the ideal situation for us to draft there. If he's gone, I think we'll try like crazy to trade down a bit, hoping someone wants Wentz or Tunsil bad enough....then we'll take Bosa or Lawson.

I don't think this draft could be any better for us than Ramsey at 4 and DL at 34.
If not, it's likely Bosa/Lawson in round 1 and CB/DL next two picks.

I know there is a lot of smoke and rumors this time of year, but I wonder if it's true that Rod/Lett are not high on Bosa. If the tweet about him fine with Zeke over Bosa is true, that to me says a tons about Bosa. I think if they trade down, they are targeting Lawson, like you said.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Very true but I struggle to find the benefit in saying that no one really has any interest in your 4th pick.

On the other hand, I think if he said there is even mild interest, all the other teams would laugh. Why would there be interest in pick #4 but not pick #5?
There is absolutely no way anyone can predict who will be on the board at #4, so why would anyone want to even discuss a trade this early? To be completely honest, why would any team even consider trading OUT of #4 this early when the top player on their board could still be there?

I don't think being honest about pick #4 before the first two selections are made amounts to anything at this point. Teams who want a QB are talking to Cleveland, not SD or Dallas.....yet....but they'd certainly talk to SD before talking to Dallas.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I know there is a lot of smoke and rumors this time of year, but I wonder if it's true that Rod/Lett are not high on Bosa. If the tweet about him fine with Zeke over Bosa is true, that to me says a tons about Bosa. I think if they trade down, they are targeting Lawson, like you said.
i don't believe any of that stuff at this point. They spent a lot of time with all the Ohio State guys, and Bosa is clearly the #1 guy on that campus.

Sydla

Reaction score

I thought the latest rumors were that Marinelli was on board with Bosa and that the front office prefers Bosa or Ramsey while Garrett and Linehan want Elliott?

DBOY3141

Reaction score
I thought the latest rumors were that Marinelli was on board with Bosa and that the front office prefers Bosa or Ramsey while Garrett and Linehan want Elliott?

It does seem to have gone back and forth. That latest tweet thread being Rod is fine with Zeke over Bosa. At the end, I guess who really knows what they are thinking....I just hope they are.

Sydla

Reaction score
That doesn't surprise me.

No, it doesn't make sense. Using your premise that in order to get our 4th pick you have to bring a big pot of gold, the last thing you would say is, "Gee, we aren't getting any calls for the 4th pick". If you wanted to drive up the price OR you wanted teams to know that the 4th pick could be for sale............ you would say things like, "we have no intention of moving the 4th pick at this time" or "we've gotten some interest in the 4th pick but are keeping our options open at this time" or you just simply deflect the question.

When you hint that the 4th pick could be open for sale but no one has really inquired about it, you just told the league that you might want to trade the pick and right now you have no competition in trading for that pick.

silver

Reaction score
This also could mean we draft d-linemen in the 1st two rounds and address the backup QB in the 3rd.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
So that's why Stephan jones said Crawford may play some DE. They already knew about Lawrence .

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
So that's why Stephan jones said Crawford may play some DE. They already knew about Lawrence .

Exactly. Not everything is subterfuge and "smoke screens", although some like that idea because it perpetuates the idea that our front office is somehow clever.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Not sure how I feel about Crawford being moved between DT and DE possibly.

Makes me wonder if they are debating on taking a 3 tech somewhat high this draft.

with the pass rusher harder to draft that might be right
the news on Lawerence makes this more likely

superonyx

Reaction score
It's interesting that many draft experts say Bosa is in the top 3 talents of the draft and yet the overwhelming majority of cowboys fans want nothing to do with him....

Myself included.