Twitter: Stephen Jones on potentially drafting a TE to replace Witten this year

cern

Reaction score
I think Helman is right. Stephen's answer seemed a bit tongue in cheek.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I agree with the overall Crux of the initial post.

That being said I do want to see what hey have in Rico and Blake Jarwin before investing in any more tight ends.

plymkr

Reaction score
I'm not worried about drafting a TE. We got Rickevelli on our roster.

Blackthorn

Reaction score
If Jason does not leave the field, then there is not a reason to draft a TE. A contract is good for three years and I just can't see a player sitting until Jason retires. Then What? Jason retires and Dallas has an unproven backup.

Besides, I thought Rico was the replacement?

Dallas should focus on players that will start.

Carson

Reaction score
Breaking news. Witten demands a new contract, Stephen locks him up for another five seasons.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
Good grief , every Cowboys fan loves Witten ; no one is wishing for his demise and/or departure , but the stats and eye test simply do not lie........

On 3rd and 7 you can pretty much close your eyes and know he's going to come up a yard or 2 short of the sticks EVERY FRIGGIN' TIME.........That almost never happened his 1st decade in the league..............................

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Why do I have this nauseas feeling about another TE in the 2nd this year.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Breaking news. Witten demands a new contract, Stephen locks him up for another five seasons.
Don't laugh. Sounds like if he told them to drop to their knees and indulge his wish at the moment, they would.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Why do I have this nauseas feeling about another TE in the 2nd this year.
I don't know about that. From the sounds of things, Stephen Jones would not do that.

If he knows what is good for him.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Witten is the man. I hope he coaches here after he retires and never leaves the Cowboys. I have no problem with him calling the shots. At least he's a football guy which is better than the non-football guys that have been allowed to call the shots.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I don't know about that. From the sounds of things, Stephen Jones would not do that.

If he knows what is good for him.
I believe in the power of prayer Alexander.
Only Jerry knows what is good for him.

Knotamus

Reaction score
I’m not sure why folks think we need to waste a draft pick on a TE.. I personally believe we have one of the best group of TE’s in the league, albeit we prob won’t use them.

Gold jacket’ Witten- yet long in the tooth, still manages clutch catches and blocks better than most other TEs in the league which means a lot to a ‘run first’ offense

Hanna- is very underrated.. soft hands, blocks, adequate speed. If Witten wasn’t in his way, he’d prob be considered one of the leaders on offense

Swaim- much like Hanna, yet stuck behind both of them. Prob could improve his blocking, but it’s really hard to tell since he dosent get much playing time. Although, the limited time he has played, he hasn’t disappointed. More ‘real’ reps would help

Gathers- for a Big man..he looked really good last year during camp before he got his bell rung, albeit as a receiver only. He looked lost as a blocker, but that was to be expected. If Dallas would play him to his strengths.. he really could put some stats up. He’s still very young and raw with plenty of potential

Jarwin- honestly I don’t know much ab him, but he made enough of an impression to get Witten to even say good things about him. I’ve heard he was mainly a blocker in college, so that’s a great start. I’ve also read that he catches the ball well, but needs to work on his recognition. Sounds like a promising project.

That’s five TEs already on the roster that has more if not as much potential as any draft pick in this draft.

Last edited: