Twitter: Stephen Jones on potentially drafting a TE to replace Witten this year

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Until we have someone better than Witten he will play the majority of the snaps.
If one of these other TEs on this team want to replace him show it in practice.

Despite what you all believe Witten doesn't call the shots. If the coach want's him on the sideline that's where he goes.

Lol you really believe that?

Even if Rico was better they won’t do what is right by the team.

I want Witten on this team. He’s still better then most TEs but we need a more dynamic player at this point.

ESisback

Reaction score
I’m not sure why folks think we need to waste a draft pick on a TE.. I personally believe we have one of the best group of TE’s in the league, albeit we prob won’t use them.

Gold jacket’ Witten- yet long in the tooth, still manages clutch catches and blocks better than most other TEs in the league which means a lot to a ‘run first’ offense

Hanna- is very underrated.. soft hands, blocks, adequate speed. If Witten wasn’t in his way, he’d prob be considered one of the leaders on offense

Swaim- much like Hanna, yet stuck behind both of them. Prob could improve his blocking, but it’s really hard to tell since he dosent get much playing time. Although, the limited time he has played, he hasn’t disappointed. More ‘real’ reps would help

Gathers- for a Big man..he looked really good last year during camp before he got his bell rung, albeit as a receiver only. He looked lost as a blocker, but that was to be expected. If Dallas would play him to his strengths.. he really could put some stats up. He’s still very young and raw with plenty of potential

Jarwin- honestly I don’t know much ab him, but he made enough of an impression to get Witten to even say good things about him. I’ve heard he was mainly a blocker in college, so that’s a great start. I’ve also read that he catches the ball well, but needs to work on his recognition. Sounds like a promising project.

That’s five TEs already on the roster that has more if not as much potential as any draft pick in this draft.

Exactly, which is why TE isn't an urgent need. I'd rather concentrate on DT, OG, LB, S, or WR. I'd even be more enthused with another QB, RB or swing tackle.

Xelda

Reaction score
Don't we have 3 tight ends in waiting should Jason Witten not be able to fulfill his duties as Mr. All American Tight End?

Hardline

Reaction score
Lol you really believe that?

Even if Rico was better they won’t do what is right by the team.

I want Witten on this team. He’s still better then most TEs but we need a more dynamic player at this point.
Then draft that dynamic player because he isn't on this team as of now.
Hunter Henry would be a starter here right now if they would've drafted him like I was screaming and shouting for them to do.
I do have high hopes for Jarwin though.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
LOL ........just goes to show the huge gap between the FO and fans thinking

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
Witten should also coach the team and play QB. And when the defense comes on the field he should suit up as a linebacker. Heck, let him kick, too.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I
I’m tired of not having a real HC and as much as I like Witten he doesn’t need to be playing the amount he is playing anymore.

The problem is that a real HC would not matter.

The real situation is that the upper crust of players have gained favor with a layer above them.

And that layer bows and scrapes to players.

There is no employer-employee relationship.

There is a way to show loyalty to players without being weak.

We have yet to distinguish that.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
This thread really shows how much this fan base has turned into a brood of brooding drama queens.

Thanks Joneses and Ginger

Don't confuse a few loudmouth whiners with the majority of the Cowboys' fan base. Just because some nimrods get woodies watching Gronk doesn't mean that Witten is not still a fine TE.

Is Witten past his prime? You bet.

Is a "past his prime" Witten still better than 75% of the other starting TE's in the NFL, not to mention nearly all of the backup TE's? Yep.

"B-b-b-b-b-but he's not Graham, or Gronk!" Yeah (long pause...........) And??

Aven8

Reaction score
This is why I hate player worship....

Good grief. He does it again!! "We feel good about where we are".......

We are freaking doomed.........I never thought I would say this but I'm missing Jerry!

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
This is why I hate player worship....

Sounds like they don't have any interest in
drafting another TE, because of Witten.
Personally I think it's foolish.
I think a big, athletic mismatch type TE that can make plays downfield would help our offense tremendously. And this kind of TE and Witten could co-exist.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Good grief , every Cowboys fan loves Witten ; no one is wishing for his demise and/or departure , but the stats and eye test simply do not lie........

On 3rd and 7 you can pretty much close your eyes and know he's going to come up a yard or 2 short of the sticks EVERY FRIGGIN' TIME.........That almost never happened his 1st decade in the league..............................

Which stat?

The one where Witten was No. 7 among all tight ends in receptions last year?

Or the one where he was No. 12 among tight ends in yards?

Or the one where he was tied for 10th among tight ends in TDs?

In fact, his numbers put him in the upper half of starting tight ends in pretty much every category, so if the stats don't lie then they show we still have a top 10 to top 15 tight end.

Now, I want better than that. I want a player at the position who's a reliable target while also being a downfield threat and a capable blocker, but they're not as easy to find as everyone thinks. We've draft three in the second round (higher than we took Witten) and have failed to find one who can do it all. (Bennett was the closest that we got but he was too much of a headcase to be reliable).

This doesn't mean we need to quit trying to find the guy who will take over for Witten or hoping that players like Gathers will prove to be next in line, but we certainly need to appreciate what we've got because there are quite a few teams who would love to have this Witten who so many seem to devalue.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Sounds like they don't have any interest in
drafting another TE, because of Witten.
Personally I think it's foolish.
I think a big, athletic mismatch type TE that can make plays downfield would help our offense tremendously. And this kind of TE and Witten could co-exist.

I have no problem with trying to prepare for life without Witten, but I think we have other priorities. Plus, I'm OK with seeing what Gathers has while we still have Witten around. He played very well in the preseason, so I'm OK with giving it a little time.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Meh. More reactive instead of proactive.

I still think we'll take one with one of our handful of 4/5 round picks, and there's some value there.