Twitter: Stephen Jones on potentially drafting a TE to replace Witten this year

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Witten is the man. I hope he coaches here after he retires and never leaves the Cowboys. I have no problem with him calling the shots. At least he's a football guy which is better than the non-football guys that have been allowed to call the shots.

octagon-86174.png

sunalsorises

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Good grief , every Cowboys fan loves Witten ; no one is wishing for his demise and/or departure , but the stats and eye test simply do not lie........

On 3rd and 7 you can pretty much close your eyes and know he's going to come up a yard or 2 short of the sticks EVERY FRIGGIN' TIME.........That almost never happened his 1st decade in the league..............................

Look at every third down catch Witten made in 2017. You will find only two times where he came up 1 yard short of the first down.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not sure why folks th No we need a TE.. I personally believe we have one of the best group of TE’s in the league, albeit we prob won’t use them.

Gold jacket’ Witten- yet long in the tooth, still manages clutch catches and blocks better than most other TEs in the league which means a lot to a ‘run first’ offense

Hanna- is very underrated.. soft hands, blocks, adequate speed. If Witten wasn’t in his way, he’d prob be considered one of the leaders on offense

Swaim- much like Hanna, yet stuck behind both of them. Prob could improve his blocking, but it’s really hard to tell since he dosent get much playing time. Although, the limited time he has played, he hasn’t disappointed. More ‘real’ reps would help

Gathers- for a Big man..he looked really good last year during camp before he got his bell rung, albeit as a receiver only. He looked lost as a blocker, but that was to be expected. If Dallas would play him to his strengths.. he really could put some stats up. He’s still very young and raw with plenty of potential

Jarwin- honestly I don’t know much ab him, but he made enough of an impression to get Witten to even say good things about him. I’ve heard he was mainly a blocker in college, so that’s a great start. I’ve also read that he catches the ball well, but needs to work on his recognition. Sounds like a promising project.

That’s five TEs already on the roster that has more if not as much potential as any draft pick in this draft.

VPfnu9I.gif

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Witten is the man. I hope he coaches here after he retires and never leaves the Cowboys. I have no problem with him calling the shots. At least he's a football guy which is better than the non-football guys that have been allowed to call the shots.

I have never understood this.

This is like hero worship that I know I grew out of once I achieved puberty and decided to take the posters down off my bedroom wall.

It is one thing to revere a legend, but honestly, at the end of the day, he is not going to ever be a pivotal player with this franchise winning another trophy.

In fact, right now, he is an impediment.

Gameover

Reaction score
We need a TE version of Dak Prescott

No matter what happens w Dak at least he saved us from ‘five more years of Romo’ that Jerry had planned, I don’t think were going to be as lucky w getting rid of slow poke.

The guy is selfish as they come. Selfishness sold as a hardworking do-gooder

Our only hope is for Gathers to be so great that even our brass would see it would be foolish to keep him off the field.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I have never understood this.

This is like hero worship that I know I grew out of once I achieved puberty and decided to take the posters down off my bedroom wall.

It is one thing to revere a legend, but honestly, at the end of the day, he is not going to ever be a pivotal player with this franchise winning another trophy.

In fact, right now, he is an impediment.
I feel sorry for you. I love my framed Witten posters on my walls and there is nothing wrong with hero worship. Witten is a great guy that overcame an abusive childhood and made something of himself. Shame on you for your curmudgeon-like attitude.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
1. I don’t see us drafting another TE until we see what we have in Rico and Jarwin.
2. Cannot draft a TE early due to other needs and players of higher value.
3. Cannot draft a TE unless he’s clearly better than Swaim/Hanna.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Gotta love when someone doesn't read the entire post
Wait, is this when you cleverly insinuate that it was all a ho-ho, ha-ha moment, he was just three feet away, you crazy kids, you fell for the gag.

Uh, history is more in the favor of this not being a humorous moment.

This front office has been bent over and taken the shaft more times than they have not.

We have the worst NFL front office in terms of dealing with expensive veterans at the end of the road.

Witten, like Romo, has been a "made man".

His statements are closer to truth and the joke is actually on the franchise at the end of it all.

Hardline

Reaction score
Until we have someone better than Witten he will play the majority of the snaps.
If one of these other TEs on this team want to replace him show it in practice.

Despite what you all believe Witten doesn't call the shots. If the coach want's him on the sideline that's where he goes.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
If he were a football guy he would have been telling Stephen how much Garrett sucks for years and would know his own time has passed.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I’ve never been anti Jones like so many others have been but comments like this makes me wish they would just sell the team.

I’m tired of not having a real HC and as much as I like Witten he doesn’t need to be playing the amount he is playing anymore. We need a more dynamic player. I don’t care how motivated he is. He doesn’t threaten the safeties.

Last edited:

Knotamus

Reaction score
Stud

Top 5 player on the team. He’s going to make a great Patriot.

Stuck behind slow poke and a bum w a contract

I believe some in this thread is missing my point.. Yes, I do believe we have talent at TE and obviously some don’t. The real difference is.. some blame the players, I tend to blame the coaches misuse of these players. Just look at some of the other TEs we have drafted in the past, let walk, then they go on to have productive careers elsewhere. Can’t blame the coaches for leaning on Witten, but I can blame them for not being creative enough to atleast imploy the other TEs on this roster. What’s the use of drafting another TE that won’t be used properly, not to mention, the plethora of other positions that need more talent added than at TE.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
Witten might not call the shots but nobody in the organization has the Cojones to tell him to sit down for a series or two.