Twitter: Stephen Jones on The Fan - 04/28/17

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Josh Clark‏ @JoshClark1053 22m22 minutes ago
Jones reiterates that they felt they wouldn't get a pass rusher they liked at pick 60. Like their chances of getting a corner there.
Stephen Jones says he's confident in Tapper's ability and his health. "We need not forget we picked him ahead of Dak Prescott (chuckling)."
Interesting nugget from Stephen Jones, says they had one first round graded player left and it was an RB. Taco was at the top of the second.
Jones says there were offers to move up and offers to move back. But says they were comfortable with what was left on the board.
SJ: "I would not bet against TJ Watt. Everything about him is plus plus. There's some risk there of him not putting his hand in the ground."
Stephen Jones adds that they felt more comfortable with Taco (vs Watt) because he's putting hand in ground on every play.
Stephen Jones on risky players left on board: Too difficult to speculate. We're not afraid to do that. Each situation is it's own situation.
Adds that he won't say if they will or won't select a player with injury or off field concerns. But each player has their own case.

Gavin Dawson‏Verified account @gavindawson 15m15 minutes ago
Stephen Jones here with us says, Tank Lawrence didn't have the grades that Taco did coming into draft.

Jeff Cavanaugh‏Verified account @JC1053 23m23 minutes ago
Stephen Jones says Taco was graded top of the 2nd round. Only 1st round grade left was a RB. Zeke is here obviously.
So it wasn't Kevin King that was graded as a 1st round pick for the Cowboys. It was either Dalvin Cook or Joe Mixon.
Or Samuel or Kamara or whatever. But the Cowboys didn't pass on a first round CB for a second round DE. They passed on a first round RB.

slomoxn

Reaction score
Josh Clark‏ @JoshClark1053 22m22 minutes ago
Jones reiterates that they felt they wouldn't get a pass rusher they liked at pick 60. Like their chances of getting a corner there.
Stephen Jones says he's confident in Tapper's ability and his health. "We need not forget we picked him ahead of Dak Prescott (chuckling)."
Interesting nugget from Stephen Jones, says they had one first round graded player left and it was an RB. Taco was at the top of the second.
Jones says there were offers to move up and offers to move back. But says they were comfortable with what was left on the board.
SJ: "I would not bet against TJ Watt. Everything about him is plus plus. There's some risk there of him not putting his hand in the ground."
Stephen Jones adds that they felt more comfortable with Taco (vs Watt) because he's putting hand in ground on every play.
Stephen Jones on risky players left on board: Too difficult to speculate. We're not afraid to do that. Each situation is it's own situation.
Adds that he won't say if they will or won't select a player with injury or off field concerns. But each player has their own case.

Gavin Dawson‏Verified account @gavindawson 15m15 minutes ago
Stephen Jones here with us says, Tank Lawrence didn't have the grades that Taco did coming into draft.

Jeff Cavanaugh‏Verified account @JC1053 23m23 minutes ago
Stephen Jones says Taco was graded top of the 2nd round. Only 1st round grade left was a RB. Zeke is here obviously.
So it wasn't Kevin King that was graded as a 1st round pick for the Cowboys. It was either Dalvin Cook or Joe Mixon.
Or Samuel or Kamara or whatever. But the Cowboys didn't pass on a first round CB for a second round DE. They passed on a first round RB.
Wah wah waaaaaahhhhh!!! That closes a lot of mouths... NOT!

Western

Reaction score
Why is Stephen announcing to the world that Dallas will target a CB at 60?
Lunacy.

Let the board come to you, and evaluate the long-term investment of selecting a quality player, regardless of a perceived need.
If a highly rated OT is there, or a versatile 3-down LB, or another impact pressure DL, pull the trigger on those players.

You set yourself up for reaching for a position when the value is not there.

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
Last time I really disliked a first round pick was Claiborne. This tops it for me. Even went on fb and said anyone but Taco. Hope I'm wrong and I'll be rooting for him

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
This still will anger a lot of people. Lol.

Now that it has been cleared up that a CB was NOT the first rounder left ( Since that was what was making most mad I think) the only ones left who should be mad are those who wished for another SPECIFIC player (Watt,Foster,etc.) and not those who were mad we passed up another huge position of need just because we were determined to force a pick.

I guess those who are too stubborn to forgive now that new info is out might also pretend to still be mad. That's their problem though.

Also Risen I suppose because he's Risen and well... That's sort of his thing. As with Dak, Taco will forever be made fun of no matter how good he becomes because he wanted another (Wentz now Foster) instead so the Salt will continue to flow and flow and flow.